Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at the Thomson Elite stems and trying to decide between the X2 and X4. X2 is technically a "road" stem, but according to Thomson, can be used for cross country mountain biking--but no downhill or freeriding.

The X4 is stronger than the X2 with a four-bolt handlebar clamp (as opposed to 2-bolt on the X2), but heavier. (147 g for the X2, 166 for the X4, 100mm.)

Just wondering if anyone has used the X2 on a mountain bike or if I should stick with the stronger X4.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
lytleric said:
I am looking at the Thomson Elite stems and trying to decide between the X2 and X4. X2 is technically a "road" stem, but according to Thomson, can be used for cross country mountain biking--but no downhill or freeriding.

The X4 is stronger than the X2 with a four-bolt handlebar clamp (as opposed to 2-bolt on the X2), but heavier. (147 g for the X2, 166 for the X4, 100mm.)

Just wondering if anyone has used the X2 on a mountain bike or if I should stick with the stronger X4.
X4 comes with 0 and 10 rise, X2 with 10 and 17.

I find it much easier to properly fix a bar to a 4 bolt stem without putting undue stress on the bar. On 2 bolt stems that I have used bar would rotate on impacts when torqued up to spec. Never a problem with Elite and X4. Maybe X2 does not have this issue, I did not try. Not a big fan of compromising strength in this spot...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't see any reason why the X2 shouldn't work. To me it looks like the sturdiest 2-bolt stem I ever had. I use it on my CX bike without any issues. Imagine you're hitting a pothole in the road with your roadbike at 50mph and with xx psi in the tires, and now imagine you're jumping a three feet drop with 6" (plus 2" in the tires) plush travel. I'd guess the peak force in the first case is greater.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have an X2 on my flat bar commuter, and it's very stiff (probably not ideal for rough commuting tracks and a rigid fork...).

I don't think you'd have an issue, particularly when thomson stuff is so well made, and at 145gm, i would feel a lot safer using an X2 than using a 99gram Syntace stem that many people use on their MTB's, or any of the other lightweight stems that you can see on this forum.

The only reason i'd choose X2/X4 would be aesthetics

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey, the X2 is actually lighter than the X4. Check the thomson site. The X4 is one of the heavier stems you can get for that money. Though the X2 is not extremely light, it's a good compromise between looks, rigidity and weight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.