Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like the thistle is back again this year. The fire must have really caused it to spread. It seems to be growing in more areas than last year.

It isn't bar height yet but it will be.

Anyone encounter this and have ideas? Last year I rode with long compression socks and Alpine star knee pads. I was picking Thistle thorns out my knuckles all summer.

Looked at some moto gloves but something that covers the finger areas with rubber or ?

J

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,294 Posts
Drink Stan's.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I just ride wearing a pair of Ace Hardware work gloves. Nice gloves, leather backed but dexterous, and at 20 bucks they are a steal since the XL size fits my hands like a.....glove.
They are just fine for the Thistles down here.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,294 Posts
I think a better design might be to have them connect in the bar end. That way doesn't take up so much room on the bar.
Having played with that, I disagree, then you easily damage them when you come in contact with a tree, put the bike down on the ground, crash, etc.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
-Get in touch with your Land-Managers and get the Ok to go remove the stuff.
It's much easier while it's young and won't spread the seeds because it's not flowering yet.
The FUN part is removing it completely from the area. Yes, Glad-Bag it and carry it away. That is the only way to ensure it won't come back as strong but it will come back.....the chit is unstoppable.

DO NOT use a String-Trimmer! It WILL spread the seeds everywhere and come back even worse next Spring (don't ask how I know this).

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
getting worse at Annadel. I don't recommend going down Shultz trail right now. going up was ok on Sunday, but I would not want to go down it right now. Lawndale is much better.
Agreed. Hiked Schultz->Ridge->Fenceline Ridge->back into Ridge picnic bench->Ridge->Marsh->Pig Flat->Schultz today. A little easier on foot but as I mentioned in the Jackrabbit thread of Bockchoy's, things are going to get "A Lot" worse in the near future.

·
Rent this space for $
3,640 Posts
This seems to go against the typical modern mtb community mentality, at least down here :bluefrown: , but howzabout contacting the Sector Maintenance Chief for that SP District and arrange for or join a volunteer group to get out asap and cut it back away from the trail so no one has to encounter it?

Most expect the magical trail fairy to maintain the trail rather than being part of the solution. In this case, be the solution, or at least reduce its impact.

Anytime you disturb the soil or remove the surrounding vegetation, the thistles get a stronghold. I just built and opened a 2 mile long trail down here at Montana de Oro SP and the brushed out corridor is loaded with thistle this year from all the disturbance. Once the other native vegetation springs back, which it has started, the thistle will eventually get choked but it's a nightmare in the meantime. One of our other local trail networks started getting inundated a couple years ago just along trail's edge so now we go in, like TOMORROW, and whack back the vegetation before it flowers and seeds so we can ride it comfortably. At one point two years ago, it was literally unrideable.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
but howzabout contacting the Sector Maintenance Chief for that SP District and arrange for or join a volunteer group to get out asap and cut it back away from the trail so no one has to encounter it

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This is annadel. Not sure who the Sector maintenance chief is but not much trail work gets done by them. the Volunteer groups don't get to do much outside the fire roads.

Rant mode off

And yes the soil was disturbed by the fire in 2017. Probably the main cause.

clearing the vegetation back on many miles of trails is a huge undertaking. Have thought about a hike with a weed wacker in the dark with a ninja suit. interesting thought about getting other plants to take hold.

It is a temporary problem. It will dry out and wither by July.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.