Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Almost Human
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Insurance for dog owners. A great idea whose time has come?
Can you imagine showing up to an open space meeting and proposing this?
No, you go first... :O ROFL. Too funny.

http://radio.woai.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=119078&article=8161220

"State Rep. Ruth Jones McClendon (D-San Antonio) has introduced a bill that would require any Texan who owns a male dog which weighs 20 pounds or more and is not neutered to have an insurance policy covering injuries or damage caused by that dog when it is off the leash or out of the dog's yard"

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
This is akin to requiring an umbrella policy.

Whether someone has insurance or not, you can sue them if their dog attacks you. Insurance doesn't change the law and protect you more. It's just takes someone off the hook for liability expenses.

Would you rather have responsible dog owners who would be afraid of a lawsuit or ones that couldn't care less because they know they are covered if their dog bites you?

I'd personally prefer not getting attacked in the first place.

·
Almost Human
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lidarman said:
Would you rather have responsible dog owners who would be afraid of a lawsuit or ones that couldn't care less because they know they are covered if their dog bites you?

I'd personally prefer not getting attacked in the first place.
Just for arguments sake...

That's all great in theory.

However,
#1 most of the people with dangerous dogs don't have anything worth suing for. Forcing a pit bull owner to have liability insurance to cover my health care costs might be nice. They probably wouldn't buy it though so you would still be screwed. :)
and
#2 you can't sue someone when their off leash dog wanders up the trail and causes a bike accident. Having access to the dog owners liability insurance in these types of accidents could be beneficial for those without health insurance.

·
FleshwoundGravityResearch
1,285 Posts
UncleTrail said:
Just for arguments sake...

That's all great in theory.

However,
#1 most of the people with dangerous dogs don't have anything worth suing for. Forcing a pit bull owner to have liability insurance to cover my health care costs might be nice. They probably wouldn't buy it though so you would still be screwed. :)
and
#2 you can't sue someone when their off leash dog wanders up the trail and causes a bike accident. Having access to the dog owners liability insurance in these types of accidents could be beneficial for those without health insurance.
Yes you can. I was injured by an off-leash dog and was told this was my recourse... if I could find the F#$^$*&$ @ss$#*+

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.