Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bitterly cold ride on Saturday. You know what they say, there's no such thing as too cold, but there is such a thing as not enough clothes. That was me on Saturday. Rode for 2 hours, wasn't comfortable the whole ride. Cold legs, numb fingers and toes, cold ears. Whine, whine, whine.

Despite the cold we had a pretty good ride. At the end Little Red Rockinghood said it was her best ride ever. Frozen ground means lotsa traction. LRR is not a cold weather person. The fact she had such a good ride says something... I took more pics, I swear all of them were blurry, probably from me shivering. I don't know the temp, but it seemed pretty consistent throughout the ride, probably somewhere between 5 and 10 degrees. No wind, but no sun either.

Today we hit up a local favorite. Every time I ride this place I think "why don't we ride here more?". A lot of rocks. Nasty, doable climbs, and nasty doable climbs littered with rocks. It definitely keeps you interested.

As an added bonus, the lake was frozen and with a light layer of snow on it, not all that slick. Pretty fun to cruise around on the ice, see what you can get away with.

One of these guys had a mechanical, can you guess which one?

Two great rides... Heading out to LV tomorrow for work, on to Southern UT after that (Gooseberry etc.). So psyched I can hardly contain myself...

John

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
cool. oh i mean cold-haha. i envy you types who think not much of the cold weather. if it's not mid 50s i want nuttin 2 do with d cold. sometime since i was in the ft hood area in 99 thru hawaii and iraq up until now back in texas (where its supposed to be warm but we're having kind of a chilly winter) i've lost all desire.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I don't see how you could do 2 hours in 5-10 degrees without having your ears covered. I've done rides that cold but not without some type of helmet liner and ear cover. Funny how a head cover will warm up your feet and hands. LRR has got it right.
The pictures of the lake made me chuckle, a couple of years ago I took my dog to Breakheart Pond when it was frozen over. I rode the ice as she went from hole to hole and tripped the rigging the ice fishermen had set out. Riding the frozen ground and light snow is fun, it seem to take the competetive edge out of it and everybody just wants to have a good time. I guess it's just too cold to suck down cold air trying to go fast. One of the real challenges is getting across 10" plank bridges that have 2" of glare ice on them. Impossible to ride and nearly as dangerous to walk.
I purchased snowshoes last week, I hope I get to give them a try this yesr.

·
I just wanna ride my bike
845 Posts
The pic of you on ice

The orange thing hanging off the seat - is that a self-inflating flotation device for the bike in case it goes through the ice? :D

Looks like a fun ride.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,168 Posts
TheotherH said:
The orange thing hanging off the seat - is that a self-inflating flotation device for the bike in case it goes through the ice? :D

Looks like a fun ride.
Or a streamer like those attached to skis on heavy power days. Or... surf board lariet. Bike drops in but is clipped to the rider so he can haul it back out. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.