Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and now here's my first post. I broke my fibula on the left leg earlier today. It's fractured right next to the ankle. I was riding a skinny about a foot off the ground when my rear wheel went right, I fell left jamming the leg between the skinny and the bike. *sigh*

The clinic couldn't do much and the doctor didn't say much. I'm supposed to get an appointment with a podiatrist tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I'll need surgery for a plate to keep the bones in place. My first broken anything, ever.

The worst part is, I just got my Fox RLC F100 Friday and the new Titus RX frame arrives on Tuesday.

Just wanted to say hi. :)

HI!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Welcome to the forum you hope you never feel like clicking on... ;)

I'm about 3 months out from a very similar injury. Broken Tib/Fib right above the ankle = 4 plates...
BEFORE

AFTER

Good luck... it sucks breaking bones, but at least they like to heal ;)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bad andy said:
Welcome to the forum you hope you never feel like clicking on... ;)
Thanks man, those images look painful. Maybe it's just my leg hurting. :) Hopefully the podiatrist will have xrays as nice as those. Did you scan those or was their equipment digital? Seems like the clinic I went to used some 1950's xray machine, can't see s**t. Also, I wouldn't mind it in color with a 3D hologram effect.:D

*sigh* Can't make myself go to the other forums now. I feel like I have nothing in common with the "Passion" peeps, most probably have two working legs. Just want to get the leg fixed up so I can at least know I'm starting the recovery phase.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I'm scheduled for a nip and tuck tomorrow morning. It's an out patient procedure. From what I understood I'm not going to get a cast. The doctor said I could immediately start the rehab on the leg, I'm not really sure how that's possible though. Guess I'll find out after they carve me up.

Just hope I can use the leg to drive the car soon, darn stick! *sigh*

On a somewhat bright side, the new CK headset came in today, the frame gets here tomorrow.... At least I have something to look forward to. :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got 10 bolts and a plate installed today... The recovery begins...

and my frame came in :D Too bad I can't order a replacement leg overnight: :mad: Oh well, I'll have enough time to pick and choose parts for it now and pay off the hospital bills.

Here's a pic of something other than PAIN for this forum :) and a little pain with some relief. :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had my first followup with the doc today. He says everything looks good and I got a walking boot installed. First two weeks I can put 25% of my weight on the leg with both crutches, next two weeks I can do 50% and use one crutch and two weeks after that I can do 75-100% and no crutches. He said I should be able to start riding a stationary bike in about 5 weeks.

Here's what my fixer upper looks like. :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
You'll be up on the bike pretty quick, keep a positive attitude. Use the downtime to relax as much as possible, (the old lemonade from lemons thing). I broke my right knee a couple years ago, 2 1/2 months total non weight bearing. Caught up on my reading, decided I like being off work. I got on a bike as soon as the Doc said I could bend my knee. Not reccomended but it worked for me. Good Luck!

·
Registered
980 Posts
norcom said:
Had my first followup with the doc today. He says everything looks good and I got a walking boot installed. First two weeks I can put 25% of my weight on the leg with both crutches, next two weeks I can do 50% and use one crutch and two weeks after that I can do 75-100% and no crutches. He said I should be able to start riding a stationary bike in about 5 weeks.

Here's what my fixer upper looks like. :)

I had a broken hip and femur bolted back together on Nov. 12, 1999. I convinced the doc I really knew how to spin lightly and he allowed me to ride my trainer within 5 days of discharge. On new years day I rode 40 hilly miles. Mind you I could not walk yet but my buddies where there at the stoplights for me. I cried like a baby at the end of that ride I was so happy and yet still mad about the break.
I am convinced the trainer and riding sped my recovery up immensly. I regret not following the PT directs to the letter as i have limited range of motion now but I am working on that.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crockpot2001 said:
I regret not following the PT directs to the letter as i have limited range of motion now but I am working on that.
Heh, that line made me take off the walking boot and start doing the rehab exercising. :) Man it feels so sickly uncomfortable to move the ankle around.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Norcom...good to see some progress...keep up the PT
I'm about 3 weeks behind you with a very similar looking xray. Got the hard cast yesterday.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
timbone said:
Norcom...good to see some progress...keep up the PT
I'm about 3 weeks behind you with a very similar looking xray. Got the hard cast yesterday.
I didn't get a hard cast for some reason. The doc said it would be a faster recovery if I didn't. Not sure why I didn't get the hard cast though. I always thought if you broke something you got one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
No hard cast?.......wish I had your doc.....but really this cast isn't too bad, it's much lighter and smaller than the splint/water jacket thing I had on. Sounds like I get the "cam walker" next.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
timbone said:
No hard cast?.......wish I had your doc.....but really this cast isn't too bad, it's much lighter and smaller than the splint/water jacket thing I had on. Sounds like I get the "cam walker" next.
Did you have surgery and screws/plates installed? If you didn't than you would need a cast. I think since I have screws holding the bone together the cast isn't really necessary because the bone will not move. If I didn't have surgery I would need something to keep the bone in place while it heals. I duno...

·
Registered
53 Posts
ouch, thats a lot of hardware
i feel your pain, my f100rlc came about 3 days after i had surgery to fix my collarbone (broken 2 days before that) still have yet to ride the fork and that was October

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I had a soft cast for about 4 weeks (not soft at all, pretty rigid) then the air cast/boot for another 4 (bolted solid though, no walking on it) Started PT after that (8 weeks) and have been doing that now for about 6 weeks now. The PT can be rough at times, but I might be a bit aggressive. I'm REALLY anxious to get back on the trails (and to return to carrying my own damn food from the kitchen to the table... sigh). Nonetheless, It's starting to feel like a foot once again. :)

This recovery is sooo awkward though... just so awkward.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just wondering how the legs are feeling at this point?
Walking?
Riding?
PT?

I go in thursday to lose the cast and get the walking brace. I'm ready for something different...hopefully some PT to start on.?

Tim

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm in a walking boot but using one crutch with about 50% of the weight being put on the leg. Next week I'm going to no crutches for two or three weeks with 75-100% of the weight on the foot. Then I have an appointment with the doc to see whats up.

The leg's feeling much better but it has been hurting today after walking, hasn't done this before. The toe next to the big toe feels weird and sometimes feels numb or tingly but it goes away somewhat if I lift the leg up and after a night of sleep. The leg still gets swollen in the mornings but the doc said that was going to happen for a while. Really wish that would go away sooner. Kind of scared to start walking without a crutch next week. Other than that all of the bruises are gone and it's getting it's normal color back. Trying to exercise it (just moving it around) and plan on starting using the stationary bike sometime next week.

The hardest part is not being able to ride or kitesurf and I got the new kayak a week after surgery, can't wait to take it for a spin. Such perfect weather here and the winds been blowing steady in the right direction for the first time in months. *SIGH* The new bike's not complete yet but I'm buying more parts, that's somewhat keeping me sane. I figured the closer I get to recovery would make me feel better about it but it scares me more every time I feel something weird with the leg. Oh well, only time will tell how screwed I am... I get paid tomorrow so I'll order some other part(s), helps with the waiting and probably help mentally with the recovery! :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts