Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nadinno78 said:
Any thoughts on the reactor situation?
It's going to stunt the nuclear power rebirth in a very bad way no matter how little in the way of actual radiological material release. People just don't like to hear "explosions" and "nuclear" in the same sentence, and I can't say I blame them :(
Unfortunately, it took a 8.9 earthquake (to knock out the grid) and the following tsunami (to knock out the plant's own support systems) to bring these units to their knees. How much do you want to bet that Diablo Canyon (and every other nuke plant) rethinks their redundant systems.
 

·
what nice teeth you have
Joined
·
712 Posts
Pau11y said:
How much do you want to bet that Diablo Canyon (and every other nuke plant) rethinks their redundant systems.
Agreed. Diablo Canyon and all the US plants that share the same basic design as Fukishima. The venting problem will be a big issue.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nadinno78 said:
Agreed. Diablo Canyon and all the US plants that share the same basic design as Fukishima. The venting problem will be a big issue.
T'was (one of) the big scare at TMI as well.
I still wonder if there's any justification to slap a hydrogen fuel cell to use that H2 generated from the core for the plant's parasitic loads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,577 Posts
Kind of makes riding bicycles for fun seem pretty insignificant, doesn't it? Regardless of how proud we are of our technology, the earth is still in charge and industrialized countries aren't immune to suffering on a massive scale. :sad:
 

·
Stiff yet compliant
Joined
·
1,895 Posts
IndecentExposure said:
A congressman or senator dude in washington is calling for a moritorium on new nuke construction...clearly a democrat. Sad.
Moratorium= temporary delay in new construction to ensure any new plants built in the US are not vulnerable to the same failure mode as the Japanese plant. I know I know, what a stupid unreasonable request.

It was independent Joe Lieberman by the way.
 

·
Thread Terrorist
Joined
·
5,854 Posts

·
Stiff yet compliant
Joined
·
1,895 Posts
Only in "seismically active areas"

--Imposing a moratorium on siting new nuclear reactors in seismically active areas until the completion of a top-to-bottom review of seismic and tsunami reactor design resiliency, emergency response and evacuation plans.
This would mean you could continue to build nuclear plants in most areas. Only Lieberman appears to be calling for an outright moratorium and even interpreting his words that strongly might be a stretch.

Markey has only been on the House committees that oversee the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and the nuclear power industry for the past 36 years. What does he know about this subject? Obviously not as much as you. Why don't you give him a call and let him know he is all wrong. We don't need to be sure future nuclear power plants are "safe".

Markey office 202-225-2836
 

·
Thread Terrorist
Joined
·
5,854 Posts
Moustache rider said:
Only in "seismically active areas"

--Imposing a moratorium on siting new nuclear reactors in seismically active areas until the completion of a top-to-bottom review of seismic and tsunami reactor design resiliency, emergency response and evacuation plans.
This would mean you could continue to build nuclear plants in most areas. Only Lieberman appears to be calling for an outright moratorium and even interpreting his words that strongly might be a stretch.

Markey has only been on the House committees that oversee the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and the nuclear power industry for the past 36 years. What does he know about this subject? Obviously not as much as you. Why don't you give him a call and let him know he is all wrong. We don't need to be sure future nuclear power plants are "safe".

Markey office 202-225-2836
Jeez, I wasn't all that serious. Someone needs to get out on a bike and off the forums...
 

·
Rigid in Evergreen
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
zrm said:
Kind of makes riding bicycles for fun seem pretty insignificant, doesn't it? Regardless of how proud we are of our technology, the earth is still in charge and industrialized countries aren't immune to suffering on a massive scale. :sad:
Actually it just reminds me how important it is to pursue my dreams and passions while I still can.
 

·
Stiff yet compliant
Joined
·
1,895 Posts
I would love to get out and ride my bike right now.


As it is I have nothing better do do than scan forums for people making political jabs and then very slowly type out a retort. Talk about sad.

Anyways, this was supposed to be about Japan. Incredible video of a Tsunami coming in.

And this one.
 

·
Thread Terrorist
Joined
·
5,854 Posts
Moustache rider said:
I would love to get out and ride my bike right now.


As it is I have nothing better do do than scan forums for people making political jabs and then very slowly type out a retort. Talk about sad.

Anyways, this was supposed to be about Japan. Incredible video of a Tsunami coming in.
LOL, I was somewhat referring to me :) I need to get off the computer and do something.

Sorry about the wrist/thumb... need a hand?
 

·
Johnny Dependable
Joined
·
233 Posts
IndecentExposure said:
A congressman or senator dude in washington is calling for a moritorium on new nuke construction...clearly a democrat. Sad.
Yeah, it's really sad that an elected official would want to put the safety of the planet and all of its inhabitants ahead of "progress." :thumbsup: :confused: :madman:
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top