Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Zach Kowalchuk
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm riding a dynatech maximum(Walmart I think). Anyways, I took a hit on the trails when I went riding with my friend the other day. Bent my flatbar. Now, I love riding this bike, its strong and light and handles every single damn thing I throw at it. But I'm worried to spend money on handlebars and upgrade the bike a little. I'm scared that it is a walmart bike and my money will be wasted. I need help. :(

·
Killer b.
1,523 Posts
I bent my handle bar on my first bike landing too big a jump.
My parents wouldn't spring for a new one, so I took it to my mate's father, who was a panel beater. He took to it with a blow-torch and bent it straight. (cro-mo bar of course). Some time later we were doing jumps in the back yard, and It started slowly bending at the heated spots. After while I flipped it upside down and repeated the process. Finally I managed to convince Dad it was dangerous and he relented and bought a new one.
(This was a long time ago). I really don't condone doing the same.

·
Registered
114 Posts
+1

A good strong bar is probably going to run you 50-60 bucks and will just be out of place on a walmart bike. Put that money towards a whole new bike instead.

Even if you bought a new bar for you current bike, it would only be a matter of time before something else on it broke. I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
413 Posts
+2 on the new bike idea. Especially this time of year when shops are trying to getting ready to have closeouts on 08 bikes there may be some good deals lurking out there you just have to look.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Get a new bike. I bought 2 walmart mongoose and I took them both back before I got me a better bike. It made all the difference in the world seeing as how I am new to mtn biking and how I had a low budget. I bought a windsor from bikesdirect.com.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
It'd be ideal if you can get a bike from a bike shop. The bike you bought, sorry, is a toy. A bike from a shop is a step above that in materials, and in the effort that it takes to build and assemble it.

That said, if you can't afford a new bike - still replace the bar. It doesn't have to be expensive - closeout parts are your friend.

Googled first.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/15...m&zmam=3075515&zmas=1&zmac=30&zmap=195 TITHL6

From Nashbar... http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?...rice1&pagename=Shop by Subcat: ATB Handlebars

Good luck,

JmZ

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
zadey1234 said:
Bent my flatbar.... strong and light and handles every single damn thing I throw at it. :(
You are contradicting yourself.

Look around for garage sales. A lot of times you can get a bike for like $10. Steal the bar from that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.