Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
No really, I am that slow
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a semi-regular clot of roadies and dirties I ride with (not a lot of overlap). Heretofore, I have a pretty solid lock on slowest in either group. Well, I converted my Dean from 27 gears to 1 about 2 months ago. Since then, I've ridden nothing else.

Went out with the road boys today. Dropped 'em. Just like that. Walked away from them on the climbs. Who'd a thunk it? Not me, that's for damn sure. Not them, either.

I'm gonna keep this up until I can beat them dirt punks that are 20 years younger than me.

Hell, maybe I'll even try another 24-hour race. This could be the start of a beautiful relationship...

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Yup it certainly does, I have noticed that I'm a lot faster and stronger to the top of the hill, where I was really slow before, and contary to what the guy on the other thread says, I don't feel more fatigued overall, I feel stronger, fitter and more alive!

SS rocks and is not a "fad"!

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
woe,

Sounds like you were being lazy with the geared bike. How do you keep up with roadies on flats? I cannot imagine being able to handle long steep climbs and still have enough gear to do 25-30mph on flats. Something has to give. Heck, I sometimes find my 50:12 (top gear on my road bike) too short, especially when riding with the wind.

·
No really, I am that slow
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry. I'm not being clear. I was out on my geared road bike for the first time in a couple of months. Of course, My SS couldn't possibly keep up w/ a road bike on the flats.

Yes I was perhaps being lazy. My geared setup encouraged seated spinning. SS demands standing & mashing. I had to work on technique and experiment with rear tires to get a felicitious configuration.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.