1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Rumpfy said:
I think the rear SS dropouts scared most potential buyers away. Not that it wasn't done correctly...but it killed some of it's original vintageness.
Compare that to the Yellow frame that sold for a little less than that by itself!
I'd think the comment about stress cracks on the fork probably hurt it some too.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
As long as the SlingShot topic is up here I want to say something about the brand.

I started riding SlingShots in 87' and stopped in 93'. I always liked "Sling Power" and had great rides on the bikes. However as soon as I put on a front suspension fork I stopped liking them and went on to a hardtail/front sus bike. Plus to be fair I moved a year or so before to the Rockies from Vt. and the change in terrain had something to do with it or so I thought.

I just put together a new 29" SlingShot here that is something I have wanted to do for a few years now. I was going to run it rigid and then things worked out to have a sus fork on it. The shakedown cruises were uneventful and the bike felt pretty good. I got to take a good ride on it yesterday and what I found out was that the advent of the fork lockout has made the Sling a totally different ballgame. When climbing you hit the LO and the head angle steepens some making the bike handle very sportily and the bike goes into Sling Power mode without any distractions from the forks suspension. To all of you that have never ridden a Shot this probably means nothing, but to me it was quite the revelation. Reverse the mode at the top and downhills are clear sailing.

So if I was going to go with a vintage Shot I would use a rigid fork only. However if you can outfit it with a shock with a lockout that is the best of both worlds.

As far as retro content for this picture goes, the headbadge and SlingShot decals are NOS from 91', and as you can see the bikes have not changed much since then either.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
Bigwheel said:
As far as retro content for this picture goes, the headbadge and SlingShot decals are NOS from 91', and as you can see the bikes have not changed much since then either.
Cool Slingshot! I like the aero rims...nice touch. Any worries for them breaking?

And I've got to ask...how and where did you get the early Sling decals and how do I land a set or two or ten? I was lucky enough to tack down a few of the 92 issue decals.

Thanks for sharing the advice on the fork lock out. I've not ridden a full rigid Sling in a while but my SID doesn't dampen the ride quality all that much. My full rigid SS Sling should be done in a few months to remind me.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Eric, those wheels should last me the rest of my life unless I back over the bike. They are very strong, especially for 700c wheels. The carbon rims are strong and the spokes are shorter than normal for a 700c wheel. The aero factor is not in play for my needs however.

I do have more of those decals....

What bothered me most about the fork unlocked was that it tended to bob a bit while climbing, which I know I could take care of by finetuning the unit, but the quick fix on the ride was to use the lockout. The ride quality for uphill and tech track in the lockout mode is really the bonus feature that I don't think any other bike out there can take advantage of like the SlingShot can.

Rumpfy said:
Cool Slingshot! I like the aero rims...nice touch. Any worries for them breaking?

And I've got to ask...how and where did you get the early Sling decals and how do I land a set or two or ten? I was lucky enough to tack down a few of the 92 issue decals.

Thanks for sharing the advice on the fork lock out. I've not ridden a full rigid Sling in a while but my SID doesn't dampen the ride quality all that much. My full rigid SS Sling should be done in a few months to remind me.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The ride?

For someone who has never ridden a Slingshot, can you describe the ride. I sure its like no other bike out there. I've been thinking about an rigid 29" frame. The bigger wheels with the subtle supension effect of a Slingshot seems to be a perfect marriage between efficency and cushion. Plus I'm a sucker for different designs.
Anyone got an older slingshot they would be willing to part with?

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
discodave said:
Anyone got an older slingshot they would be willing to part with?
PM'ed you on that...

As for the ride...well...I think everyone has a little different opinion.

To me, great climber, great single track bike. Very smooth on flowy trail...marginal down hiller, lousy when air born.
The Sling effect is really kind of active/passive. It's there (you can see it working) and it really does take the harsh edge off trails, but better than a coil or elastomer softtail bike.
Softtails IMO, have the tendency to 'pogo' and buck the rider. Slingshots' suspension qualities are more centered on the bike.
Beyond it's subtle suspension benefits, it really rides like any other hardtail.
The only other thing you have to get used to (at least on mine with flexy fork and rear wheel) is the 'drift' you get when hanging it into corners...
A good bike for finess riders.
It's an attention getter for sure though!

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Rumpfy said:
To me, great climber, great single track bike. Very smooth on flowy trail...marginal down hiller, lousy when air born.
Ummmm... sounds like a Bontrager. :)

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
laffeaux said:
Ummmm... sounds like a Bontrager. :)
Sort of...but the Slingshots are better looking and a bit less 'twitchey'! ;)

But...Bontragers also lack the unsettling feeling of the cable being pulled taught when jumping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts