Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I'm guessing it's a misprint.

NOAA forecast for Ft. Collins:

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 30. Windy, with a north northwest wind 5 to 10 mph increasing to between 100 and 105 mph.

Thursday: Sunny, with a high near 54. Windy, with a north wind between 100 and 105 mph becoming calm.

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
I experienced the highest gust speed ever recorded in Boulder quite awhile ago (1970s?) It was either 139 or 149 mph, my memory fails me.

And, to confuse my story even more, either I was walking around on The Hill at the time and got blown over or I was at a Wind Party on the second floor of some house at the time.

Let's talk about the party: we'd gather out on the deck and hear the monster gusts coming from the west, sounding like trains. You'd see the trees basically learning straight over in a line, one after another till BLAM it'd hit the house, like a sonic boom. Then we'd turn to watch the gust going east and the same line of trees bending over would continue on and on...as we'd hear the next gust coming from the west.

This went on for about an hour and we all figured the house was just gonna lift up off the foundation and we'd be partying in Kansas. But we were so wasted it sounded like a good time.

There's a world of difference between a 105 mph gust and a 140 mph gust. You have to experience one to know the difference. Sort of like slamming your car into a wall at 50 as opposed to 80. Big dif.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
I saw that too...The whole front range was under a virtual wind attack.

The hourly graph showed two wind spikes; one at 10:00 pm and one at 10:30 am in the morning. We couldn't figure out if it was a computer model error or some typo by a forecaster.

The graph was nice a smooth and suddenly a cliff. Doh! I think someone added a key on their data entry.

The funny part that my wife pointed out, that 100-105 mph winds are only listed as 'windy'. What does it take to qualify for gale force or hurricane force on the front range these days?

Seems in Boulder the ratings have changed. Clear mean winds up to 15 mph. Breezy means winds 15-30 mph and windy means more than 30 mph.

Photobucket

·
t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
4,767 Posts
3 of us full grown men and 1 dog were blown to the ground on James peak last sat. ! And I'm guessing those gusts were only in the 60mph range- can't imagine 135!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
816 Posts
imaorobbie said:
They're called Foehn winds. And they're responsible for our warm weather.
From WIkipedia:
These winds are often associated with illnesses ranging from migraines to psychosis. The first clinical review of these effects was published by the Austrian physician, Anton Czermak in the Nineteenth Century.[2] A study by the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München found that suicide and accidents increased by 10 percent during föhn winds in Central Europe.[citation needed] The causation of Föhnkrankheit (English: Föhn-sickness) is yet unproven. Labeling for preparations of aspirin combined with caffeine, codeine and the like will sometimes include Föhnkrankheit amongst the indications.
Bets one which one of our minds goes downhill first?

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
imaorobbie said:
They're called Foehn winds. And they're responsible for our warm weather.
Foehns are found near the Alps, thus a German word. We studied them in 1999 in Innsbruck. Yep, same as Chinook. Kinda like the term Hurricane versus ther term typhoon....

Unlike the prediction in this thread, the Chinooks, are accurately predicted, this was a computer glitch or a human error.

A history of high Winds in Boulder....

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/boulder/wind.html

xcguy said:
There's a world of difference between a 105 mph gust and a 140 mph gust. You have to experience one to know the difference. Sort of like slamming your car into a wall at 50 as opposed to 80. Big dif.
~v^2 => (140/105)^2 = 1.8 times more force. Too bad you didn't try to ride a bike into the wind. ;)

(PS: FYI (80/50)^2 = 2.6 times more energy in that collision. So you are exaggerating a bit on that comparison).

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
lidarman said:
Foehns are found near the Alps, thus a German word. We studied them in 1999 in Innsbruck. Yep, same as Chinook. Kinda like the term Hurricane versus ther term typhoon....

Unlike the prediction in this thread, the Chinooks, are accurately predicted, this was a computer glitch or a human error.

A history of high Winds in Boulder....

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/boulder/wind.html

~v^2 => (140/105)^2 = 1.8 times more force. Too bad you didn't try to ride a bike into the wind. ;)

(PS: FYI (80/50)^2 = 2.6 times more energy in that collision. So you are exaggerating a bit on that comparison).
I got lifted up and blown 6' to my right up on Amasa Back during one of Moab's infamous wind storms. I had been leaning over at a 45 degree angle into the already stiff wind when a super gust just picked me up and deposited me hip first onto a rock. Fun times.

I said something like "freak this" turned around and headed back down. Got blown over again while negotiatin' some tricky move and jammed three fingers on my right hand.

And more fond memories of Moab: maybe during that same super windy stretch I drove up into the La Sals and found a switchback to car camp at. 9000 feet elevation, out of the heat and out of the wind because it seemed to rise up and over my vehicle. The same can't be said of the stand of Aspens just over there. The steady gale had them laying over with no letup, with the frequent monster gusts bending them over even more. From my vantage point it was like looking at a movie of a bunch of wind blown trees.

Funny thing about Moab: no matter what the weather conditions it's always memorable in a good way. Heat: hey, I almost passed out but it was great. Rain: would you look at those waterfalls! Wind: my hand hurts but it's cool to be sheltered like this. Cold: yeah, my water was frozen in the morning but once I got to riding things warmed up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.