Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'll be in Hood River.

I should be at Discover Bikes around 11:00. I need to pick up some stuff (cliff bars, trail maps,
CO2, etc)

Anyone wanna show us some trails in the Hood?

We'll be heading to Bend on Monday (I think).

And after those fabulous Umpqua River pics, we're heading there by Wednesday (I think).
I gotta go cut a log.

:D

·
Singletrack Addict
1,167 Posts
Wish I could

I'll be down south attempting the Cream Puff.

I hear Surveyor's and Dog River are open as well as Eight Mile Creek and Knebal Springs. Can't wait to get up there myself. Hood should be pretty good right now.

Shameless plug: before leaving Portland, stock up on groceries at New Seasons Market. Clif Bars are 99 cents and they have a great beer selection and ready to eat foods from the deli. They also sell lots of other great "energy" foods like fruit bars and date rolls and Paley's Bars, made by local chef. Not to mention local produce. I'm just saying.

Evil Patrick said:
We'll be in Hood River.

I should be at Discover Bikes around 11:00. I need to pick up some stuff (cliff bars, trail maps,
CO2, etc)

And after those fabulous Umpqua River pics, we're heading there by Wednesday (I think).
I gotta go cut a log.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,726 Posts
Unsolicited advice

Evil Patrick said:

I gotta go cut a log.

Before you go cut your log on the NUT, buy some Technu anti-poison oak wash. I'm tellin' ya, this is a must.

Although I've been riding mountain bikes in Oregon since 1985, I'd resisted riding the lower sections of the NUT all these years because I'd heard PO grows there like a carpet and I'm uber sensitive to the dreaded PO. Last weekend I found the PO rumors to be true. However, even though I brushed up against the miserable plant both days last weekend, I dodged the itchy bullet because I did a thorough wash-down with Technu after each ride. I wound up with no PO outbreaks.

Technu is amazing stuff. If you're heading for the NUT, don't leave home without it.

--Sparty

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
My tip

Evil Patrick said:
We'll be in Hood River.

CO2, etc)

I gotta go cut a log.

I would get out there before 11:00am tomorrow. It is going to be a 100 degree in Hood River. I might ride Post Canyon tomorrow am because of the good shade. Avoid Syncline right now if you are reactive to PO. Trying to get motivated right now to ride :) Go do the Cream Puff and enjoy 90+ miles in the heat. I wonder if I could do it on a motorcycle?

Jaybo

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jaybo said:
I would get out there before 11:00am tomorrow. It is going to be a 100 degree in Hood River. I might ride Post Canyon tomorrow am because of the good shade. Avoid Syncline right now if you are reactive to PO. Trying to get motivated right now to ride :) Go do the Cream Puff and enjoy 90+ miles in the heat. I wonder if I could do it on a motorcycle?

Jaybo
We're kind of strapped due to our arrival time and needing to get some supplies from the
bike shop (that doesn't open until 10).

It's OK. We're from Austin, TX. At 100 degrees, we take our arm warmers off.

BTW - do you proactively apply anything to prevent a reaction to PO and if so, what?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Evil Patrick said:
BTW - do you proactively apply anything to prevent a reaction to PO and if so, what?
As someone who is also sensitive to Poak, I apply Ivy Block before going out and Tecnu after. If you start showing the rash then you use Zanfel or one of the generic house brands from Walgreens or Rite-Aid.

·
Registered
919 Posts
subydoo said:
Thinking the dirt up there should be about prime. anyone been up yet, what're the conditions like?
I hear it's all open except Gunsight/Gumjuwac, which is farther South. We'll be heading down that way Sunday morning. Probably Dog River/Surveyors or Bottle Prairie/Knebal Springs. Maybe an up-and-back on the Tr. 450.

·
Registered
919 Posts
fallzboater said:
I hear it's all open except Gunsight/Gumjuwac, which is farther South. We'll be heading down that way Sunday morning. Probably Dog River/Surveyors or Bottle Prairie/Knebal Springs. Maybe an up-and-back on the Tr. 450.
As a follow-up:
Jaybo, Evil Patrick and Not-So-Evil Tracy, my brother-in-law, and I all did the 8-mile and Knebal loops on Sunday. No snow anywhere in that area, and the trail was already fairly dry and dusty (it gets worse, though).

Patrick and Tracy ride really well, and we got some footy with his Robocop-esque dual helmet cams, which I'll be eager to see sometime. They should be hitting some of the Bend-area trails today.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great trip!

Thanks so much for being our guide(s)! We had a great time! EP is now consumed with making videos with the footage from the trip ... I don't expect to see or hear from him for a few weeks other than hearing music emanating from his office upstairs!

We went on to Bend and rode Phil's, etc., getting in about 25 miles (including a wrong turn).

From there, on to Umpqua (first Dread and Terror, then Tioga). Wow! What a beautiful trail! Along with the great riding, we saw a bald eagle fishing in the river while we were taking a break high up over the river.

Oak Ridge was our next stop, where we rode the Alpine trail. Hated the jeep trail climb, but the trail was worth it!

Back in the car again, we headed back to Bend, where we used the Cog Wild shuttle to get dropped at the top of the McKenzie River trail. We went through the lava field at the top and couldn't figure out how to connect back onto MRT. After backtracking both directions several times and asking numerous people who had no idea where we needed to go, finally we ran into a group of riders who rescued us and got us headed in the right direction. Our 26-mile ride turned into a 35-mile ride!

7 days of riding ... 140 miles total. Our shortest day was 8 miles and the longest was 35. So, lots of driving, lots of riding, loads of fun! We hit some wonderful trails, but feel like we didn't even scratch the surface!

Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions for where we should ride!

Evil Tracey
Yes, that's EVIL Tracey (don't be spreading any rumors to the contrary!

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,726 Posts
Cool. Yes, you're right -- you barely scratched the surface.

Come back after Labor Day but before the first autumn snow flies and stay at Waldo Lake for 5 days. Ride the Waldo Lake Trail, Twins/Lemish/Charlton, Maiden Peak, Gold Lake/Fuji Mountain. Finish with a ride into Oakridge on Bunchgrass/Eugene to Crest.

Spend the next 5 days in Oakridge riding what you missed when you only did the lower half of Alpine. Middle Fork, Moon Point, Larison Creek, Larison Rock, Flat Creek, Salmon Creek, Tire Mtn, Winberry Divide, Cloverpatch, North Shore Tie, Winberry Tie. Finish by nailing the upper portion of Alpine Trail that was under snow when you were here last week.

Then cruise down Hwy 58 just a few miles to hit the Hardesty network for the next 4 days, including Hardesty Mtn, Patterson Mtn/Lawler, South Willamette, Eula Ridge, Sawtooth, Lost Creek, Eagle's Rest and Goodman Creek.

Rest.

Ahhhhh... the perfect 2 week vacation, not including drive time. Should be good for ~350+ miles of singletrack.

--Sparty

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.