Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Northern Aggressor
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This dust is out of control. It's in my lungs, its in my headset, it's in my car.... its everywhere! And it's slippery (I pulled a quarter inch cactus spike out of neck during dinner last night, courtesty of a dust induced wipe out).

I haven't lived in So Cal very long (2 years, and I can't remember what last summer was like)....so when does it start raining? And what's a good trail to beat the dust on?

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
When does it start raining? :bluefrown:

That's funny.

You may get a bit once or twice in September in a normal year, and maybe a spritz or two before the end of the year. However, the normal storm track doesn't set it's sights on SoCal until after the first of the year.

But that's in a "normal" year. Anything is possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for rain anytime soon.

Disclaimer: In the mountains and desert, you may get showers out of nowhere at anytime.

·
Northern Aggressor
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
REIGN 2 said:
You lived here for 2 years and you just figured out it's dusty most time of the year? Hmm...anyway I prefere dust to mudd. Try ATT, but there is dust everywhere.
Hmmm... not sure what you're implying here. :skep: Regardless, the dust seems to have gotten signifagantly worse in the last couple of months... no?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I once shipped a brand new bike (read never ridden) to Mass-a-two-shits once in October for a week of riding and it came back looking like it was never ridden. I got really spoiled by the grip that the damp soil provided and also not having to put 100 yards between the you and the guy in front of you to keep from inhaling 10lbs of dust.

·
Time flies...
2,206 Posts
SoCal is desert, which equals dust. The only reason we can live here (en mass) is because of the colorado river.
Weather patterns have been changing the last few years, but 'normally' we get small amounts of rain mostly Feb-May.
Get used to it or move.

...and yes, it does suck.....but not as bad as some other things....

·
Ride lots...
896 Posts
Mudd said:
It's all Al Gore's fault, so quit driving your SUV on Mars!
You always bust out the best pics!! By the way, my next 3 Fridays are booked:madman: :madmax: Maybe later in August for our ride at your spot??

Yep--as others have said, this is the desert and you don't get 340-ish ridable days per year with a lot of rain.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Be Careful What you Ask For

One place that I have always been surprised had no dust was in the Blue Diamond area and Bootleg Canyon. Of course those places are about 120 during the day, but its a dry heat. I guess the desert winds remove the loose stuff, unlike around the rest of San Diego where the dried mud from winter rains gets pulverized back into dust, but we don't get enough wind to blow it away.

I got into some areas in Sycamore Canyon on Sunday where the black dust from the fires a few years back was about 2" deep. That's the last time I'll be third in a race down that trail.

·
Northern Aggressor
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
xjbebop said:
SoCal is desert, which equals dust. The only reason we can live here (en mass) is because of the colorado river.
Weather patterns have been changing the last few years, but 'normally' we get small amounts of rain mostly Feb-May.
Get used to it or move.

...and yes, it does suck.....but not as bad as some other things....
Relax buddy.

I was just asking a question, sorry if I offended you. Silly me, I didn't know people in San Diego took their dust so seriously. Which in hindsight, I shoud've known, considering how seriously people take themselves out here. I'll be sure to phrase any future dust questions in a nicer, less confrontational way, so you can spare me the "toughen up or move" speech (which by the way, is ridiculous to me, having moved here from Boston).

Good talk though :thumbsup:

·
ridin' Mary
359 Posts
This is indeed one of the worst dust years in my memory. This dry stuff has just about sucked all the fun out of biking. I'm dialing back my rides in favor of other activities this summer as it just isn't much fun baking in the dust. Whatever isn't baked dust is crispy kindling for a wildfire, and I'm not sure I want to be in the middle of one of those.

·
Northern Aggressor
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:madman:
OhNooo said:
This is indeed one of the worst dust years in my memory. This dry stuff has just about sucked all the fun out of biking. I'm dialing back my rides in favor of other activities this summer as it just isn't much fun baking in the dust. Whatever isn't baked dust is crispy kindling for a wildfire, and I'm not sure I want to be in the middle of one of those.
I hear that :thumbsup:

Be careful though, xjbebop doesn't want to hear any dust-complaining on this board; as you may have noticed, irreverent converstation about the SD mountain bike experience should be avoided here, in favor of more serious topics :madman:

·
Time flies...
2,206 Posts
brendancahill said:
:madman:

I hear that :thumbsup:

Be careful though, xjbebop doesn't want to hear any dust-complaining on this board; as you may have noticed, irreverent converstation about the SD mountain bike experience should be avoided here, in favor of more serious topics :madman:
Chill, dood....it would take alot more than that to upset me (just ask faux bone smoker...)
I was just trying to answer yer Q.....
Party on!
-bd-

btw...I can still taste the black dust from this morning's ride....yum-yum!

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
It's definitely dustier than last year at this time, however, last year at this time the humidity was like 90%. Hubby and I were riding at 8pm and it was still over 100* degrees and really humid. He was getting goosebumps riding at Aliso one Sunday.

Got dust?

Have no fear, February is right around the corner.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.