Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this really pisses me off

the city construction workers were replacing a sidewalk by my house...they are done now and have removed all sidewalk closed signs. But however there was a white concrete mould left on the side walk. as this is fresh concrete the mold blended in with the sidewalk. i being in a hurry as it was raining was biking fast, now im not going to kid you...i dont have 20-20 vision and i could not see the mold untill it was too late. i hit the ****ing thing and went flying. it broke my brake lever and gave my some nasty concrete burn. should the city remburse me for my bike and body? am i asking too much for dangerous things not to be left on the side walk?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
NO! Take some responsibility for your own actions.

The city could also come back and say you should not have been riding your bike on the sidewall. It is in the traffic codes of many cities.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Probably not dude...I don't know where u live, but out here in nor cal you could get a ticket for riding your bike on the sidewalk. Although I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for riding on the sidewalk, you technically shouldn't be riding on it anyways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shiggy said:
NO! Take some responsibility for your own actions.

The city could also come back and say you should not have been riding your bike on the sidewall. It is in the traffic codes of many cities.
heres the image...im biking across a parking lot by my school its 915 and raining so the lighting is not terribly good and im in somewhat of a rush as it is raining. i come up the curb on the sidewalk on the other side of the parking lot...now cutting infront of the school when at the last minute i see this barier that a construction worker had foprot to pick up. i fall and the fall breaks the brake lever. i want rembursment for the lever
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cycling is only permitted on sidewalks designated for shared use. These sidewalks are typically wider than 2.5m to accommodate both pedestrains and cyclists. Bicycle with a wheel diameter of 50cm or less (i.e. children's bicycles) are permitted on all sidewalks. Every person riding a bicycle shall:

Yield right-of-way to pedestrians.
When passing a pedestrian, use care and control to ensure the pedestrian's safety.
Use the bell to give an audible signal before overtaking a pedestrian.
Yield the right-of-way to any vehicle on a street which crosses a Class I Bikeway. Class I bikeways are paths where cyclists can ride on the sidewalks by law.

ya, the sidewalk was at least 2.5 m
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,408 Posts
Is it a mechanical brake lever?

If so just bite your tongue and buy a new one for 20 bucks or whatever. But I would keep an eye out for some city guy and ream him out when he picks up the mould he forgot to grab.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wickerman1 said:
If so just bite your tongue and buy a new one for 20 bucks or whatever. But I would keep an eye out for some city guy and ream him out when he picks up the mould he forgot to grab.
hydro and i will tlak to the fore men whaen they come to work tommorow
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
depends on city laws...if you are not allowd to ride on the sidewalk then doesn't even matter. if you are then...maybe but depends on how much concrete they left in one spot. if its just a little bump that you hit wrong then no, but if its a huge mound then possibly.
 

·
Elitest thrill junkie
Joined
·
38,763 Posts
free rider said:
Cycling is only permitted on sidewalks designated for shared use. These sidewalks are typically wider than 2.5m to accommodate both pedestrains and cyclists. Bicycle with a wheel diameter of 50cm or less (i.e. children's bicycles) are permitted on all sidewalks. Every person riding a bicycle shall:

Yield right-of-way to pedestrians.
When passing a pedestrian, use care and control to ensure the pedestrian's safety.
Use the bell to give an audible signal before overtaking a pedestrian.
Yield the right-of-way to any vehicle on a street which crosses a Class I Bikeway. Class I bikeways are paths where cyclists can ride on the sidewalks by law.

ya, the sidewalk was at least 2.5 m
So? That doesn't mean that the sidewalk was for bicycles.

The statutes say that the sidewalk that is ok for bikes will be DESIGNATED and that it is TYPICALLY 2.5m. Those words in no way mean that the sidewalk was ok to be on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ebfreerider510 said:
depends on city laws...if you are not allowd to ride on the sidewalk then doesn't even matter. if you are then...maybe but depends on how much concrete they left in one spot. if its just a little bump that you hit wrong then no, but if its a huge mound then possibly.
its the mold to make the sidewalk not the sidewalk...it is a 12 inch high metal wall that i didnt see in time to bunnyhop over...it ran the whole length of the sidewalk so it would have bee impossible to avoid without jumping over or dismounting and carrying over
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jayem said:
So? That doesn't mean that the sidewalk was for bicycles.

The statutes say that the sidewalk that is ok for bikes will be DESIGNATED and that it is TYPICALLY 2.5m. Those words in no way mean that the sidewalk was ok to be on.
but, the fact that it was infront of a school on school property with the school bike racks 5 meters away tells me that hte sidewalk was ok to bike on...the sidewalk is no only wide enough to fall under that law, with designated bike parking only a few meters away it was made to bike on
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
free rider said:
its the mold to make the sidewalk not the sidewalk...it is a 12 inch high metal wall that i didnt see in time to bunnyhop over...it ran the whole length of the sidewalk so it would have bee impossible to avoid without jumping over or dismounting and carrying over
oh i understand, well depends on the laws. looks like you already did some research so if you think you were allowd to be where you were...then there you go.
 

·
stupid fresh!!
Joined
·
810 Posts
if your that sure about it go for it
youve got nothing to lose but you could gain a new lever
the only thing they would do would be to try and give a good lecture about riding your bike at night or sum BS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,494 Posts
The irony.

shiggy said:
NO! Take some responsibility for your own actions.

The city could also come back and say you should not have been riding your bike on the sidewall. It is in the traffic codes of many cities.
I got a ticket from the filth a couple of weeks ago, for riding on a downtown sidewalk. Riding on the sidewalk, is illegal in most cities.
 

·
Just Ride
Joined
·
1,015 Posts
bite the bullet and buy a new lever. most companies you can jsut get the lever only for reasonably cheap. you crashed your bike cause youwerent paying complete attention and were hurrying, sh!t happens. people try to often to blame their problems on other people, man up and take responsibility for your fvck up....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
zerossix said:
bite the bullet and buy a new lever. most companies you can jsut get the lever only for reasonably cheap. you crashed your bike cause youwerent paying complete attention and were hurrying, sh!t happens. people try to often to blame their problems on other people, man up and take responsibility for your fvck up....
probably what ill end up doing...looking back i should have been more aware but im still goin to talk to the company and make sure they pick that **** up...still pisses me off about the lever though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,315 Posts
Yea em i tryed a jump and crashed, it was on public land and i didnt make thoes jumps so if the city could buy me a new bike that would be great, its not my fault there was poor lighting and it was in the middle of a forest
 

·
Student
Joined
·
820 Posts
your not losing anything by going to the city, beside its their responsibility so put warnings up, no warnings were up so someone didnt do their job. i think you should go and talk to the city bout it.
 
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top