Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
No Gansta Lean here.
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a semi retro-grouch. My current rig is an old school hardtail, cult following, EWR. So, even though I'm probably going to build up a new all mountain rig to make what riding time that I have these days more comfortable and fun....(per the things that we all face...job, home, family...in my case two children under the age of 3)...some of my parts choices will still be from companies that are more familiar to me from my current rig as opposed to some of the "new school" mfrs.
Paul, Chris King, Salsa, Phil, etc. as many as are possible that will still fit and function the all mountain, beefy trailbike nature of my planned build.

ANYWAY...if you've read this far...planning to build my wheels up with Sun Singletrack rims and DT straight gauge black spokes. Black, disc hubs w/20mm thru-axle front. Probably run a 2.5" front and 2.3" rear for tires.

But, I need to choose between a Chris King and a Phil Wood hubset.
Opinions?
(And, please, I know that there's PLENTY of other great companies out there and that may put out burly, reliable hubs at a fraction of the cost. This is just what I want to do to make myself feel better about building up something completely modern and new.)
Thanks!

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
That's a relatively beefy rim, so you must be setting up a burly AM ride. I'm not a big King fan, but that's because of a price/value issue, not quality. Phil Wood is good stuff for sure, but between those two choices I'd go with King for a tough wheelset.

·
No Gansta Lean here.
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I type this I'm looking at the Ride-This ad on the side of the screen...

snaky69 said:
Have you considered Industry 9 if you are willing to pay for kings?
Nice deal for the Kings/syncros wheel build. Even offer a 20mm.

Anyway. Funny you should mention the Industry Nine set. Was just looking back at an old Dirt Rag review on their cross country wheelset and was online the other day checking out their other stuff.
Pretty pricy. Could actually build something cheaper, believe it or not, using PW or CK stuff.
That, and using traditional, readily avail. materials (like regular spokes) makes fixing a wheel easier. (as opposed to Ind9's dedicated spokes/hub combo...not that extras can't be purchased and carried in the ole' Camelback.)
I do like that I9 is a small, U.S. company and (especially) that they're located on the east coast.

But, as I mentioned at the start, I'm a little old school too. Makes going with somebody else (I'm a big fan of tradition and heritage in my bike stuff.) an easier choice for me.

·
No Gansta Lean here.
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm NOT a tall rider but...

TNC said:
That's a relatively beefy rim, so you must be setting up a burly AM ride. I'm not a big King fan, but that's because of a price/value issue, not quality. Phil Wood is good stuff for sure, but between those two choices I'd go with King for a tough wheelset.
I grew up always being told that I have a "stocky" build. God I hated that term!
I'm 5' 7" & not completely out of shape, but I do go close to 2 bills currently. So, a beefy wheelset is no problem. (Even if I do get into better shape and drop 15 or so pounds the combo of me plus the techy singletrack and the rocks/roots around here will still warrant the purchase.)
I currently ride King Classic hubs, straight gauge spokes and Sun Rhino Lite's. All in basic black...my fave bike part color. 2.1 r and 2.3 fr. tire on my EWR with this wheel set up.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Kings for sure if you are willing to shell that out. I think you could do better on the rims, but it's all about tastes. MTX's can build a lighter wheelset, and are a better rim from my experience with DH racers. My first choice for the weight would be the XM 321 or EX721 which are a lot less prone to flat spotting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.