Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
don't try this at home
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wow. who woulda' thought riding mtb's would be so much fun? :band:

went up to annadel again today. second time in as many weekends, but twice as much i've done all year. was nice and warm too.

not very long of a ride, up to the lake, then down cobblestone/orchard. about my range at the moment. nothing like an out of shape ss'er. :cryin:

anyway, let's hope i can keep this up. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
If you love it, eventually you'll keep it up. I didn't ride often enough last summer and fall; For some reason I just never made the time. In December, I went full speed and started riding as much as I could. I would ride at least once a week, some weekends twice, and was road riding during the week. After a couple of months, I started increasing my mileage and the difficulty of my rides. After I found a good loop and distance (about 23 miles) I started setting small goals for myself like riding the whole thing without using my small chainring, beating certain times, etc. It was great fun.

I love getting out on the mtb :D

·
Medium?
6,731 Posts
Not that I'm one to talk much, but I've ridden at least dozens of times this year. Mike and I talked about you never showing your face on my most recent non-riding trip up there a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Yeah what he said...

Fast Eddy said:
Not that I'm one to talk much, but I've ridden at least dozens of times this year. Mike and I talked about you never showing your face on my most recent non-riding trip up there a few weeks ago.
youve been MIA since november..of last year..

·
don't try this at home
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
funny you should mention Mike. I thought I saw him yesterday hiking with some people, but it was someone else who looked a lot like him. coulda been a brother the resemblence was that close. they flagged me down cuz they were a little lost.

·
don't try this at home
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, i've doing a bit of road riding, though not much of that either. took the cx bike up a couple times too. need to balance MC riding with cycling a bit better. now that i've had my bike for a year, i should be on track a bit more again.

·
tastes like chicken
469 Posts
Having a great summer

I agree that mountain biking is a lot of fun. It's a bit of an obsession for me.

I've taken the summer off to focus on biking, spending time with my family and mountain bike advocacy: http://mbosc.blogspot.com/. Oftentimes, all three of these interests intersect.

I've been riding at least 4-6 days a week and I try to do at least an epic (> 4 hour) ride a week. Been riding the local Santa Cruz trails way too much and they are still fun. I have been interested in checking out places that I don't ride that often.

PM me if you want to join me for a weekday ride in Santa Cruz or whatever....

·
NedwannaB
12,791 Posts
SC trails = fun!

mrtoadsc said:
I agree that mountain biking is a lot of fun. It's a bit of an obsession for me. I've been riding at least 4-6 days a week and I try to do at least an epic (> 4 hour) ride a week. Been riding the local Santa Cruz trails way too much and they are still fun. I have been interested in checking out places that I don't ride that often.

PM me if you want to join me for a weekday ride in Santa Cruz or whatever....
We had a group of 8 (2 down from the state of Washington) + a local riding Saturday right from our campsite in Cotillian Gardens on Hwy 9, up thru Pogonip/UCSC/Greywhale & Wilder. Good times, great weather! Dinner down town at an Irish Pub after with plenty of people watching to & fro for entertainment, which I proceeded to join in with by triping over a low planter curb hands trapped in pockets, to grab a cheer from the crowd!! My only scrapes & bruises of our w/end riding...:eek:

·
Registered
82 Posts
This year my wife and daughter road cruisers down the fire road alongside the old 007 race course at Bass Lake. I have been trying for years to get my daughter to ride with me at Northstar. I like the fire roads. My son does try to stay with me for part of the day, but he gets pretty bored.

Both ladies had a great time just kicking back and enjoying the scenery.

This weekend we were at Downieville. I tried to convince my daughter to come back and ride with me. She will never be a racer, but there are ways to have fun on the mountain trails anyway. I don't think I talked her into it. Maybe some day. When she asks me what I want for my birthday I tell her to ride with me.

I raced, once, at a Stanford race in San Jose. Lee (of LeeLikesBikes.com) claimed at the time that I was the oldest rider in the race. I have hiked many a mountain with my son over the years when he was an amateur but riding it is different. I have a completely different perspective of what a racer does, and the trail I was on was very easy. My tires never left the ground.

If you can ride a bike, you can ride both Northstar and Downieville. Maybe not very fast, but it is still a great time.

Once upon a time I rode some single track, when the were called deer trails, on my brand new 1968 Schwin Varsity 10 speed. A cheap mountain bike is a lot better choice than that was.

Have fun.

·
don't try this at home
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha. your post brought back some memories. bass lake + Schwinn Varsities off-road. not that i did the 2 at the same time. but a friend and i used ride our "10speeds" one of which was a gold varsity on the canal levees and some "trails" until we got proper mtbs and then we used to hit bass lake, what would later be called 007, bald mountain, sugar pine, etc.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
JMac47 said:
We had a group of 8 (2 down from the state of Washington) + a local riding Saturday right from our campsite in Cotillian Gardens on Hwy 9, up thru Pogonip/UCSC/Greywhale & Wilder. Good times, great weather! Dinner down town at an Irish Pub after with plenty of people watching to & fro for entertainment, which I proceeded to join in with by triping over a low planter curb hands trapped in pockets, to grab a cheer from the crowd!! My only scrapes & bruises of our w/end riding...:eek:
Was good seeing you guys on the trails. Glad someone was able to show the NW boys around our great trails. See you in Aug. MBO?

·
NedwannaB
12,791 Posts
We could have......

rensho said:
Was good seeing you guys on the trails. Glad someone was able to show the NW boys around our great trails. See you in Aug. MBO?
....used your trail savy rensho! Got a little turned around in Greywhale heading to Wilder with some unplanned "double backs" :eek: , ended up heading back thru Campus and backdown to 9.

I'm not going to MBO this year, staying local. I think a few are heading up though. We are going to try & meet up w/ the NW crew in Redding/Whiskeytown later this year after/before the weather turns if you know what I mean.

Maybe I'll stray into a ride down your way, I'll keep an eye out. We thought about giving Saratoga Gap a try on the way home Sunday, but kept going and stopped off at China Camp and played on some home turf. :cool:

Catchya later-JMac

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.