Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Give it a crank
Joined
·
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I went exploring the 1A area in the southwest corner of PMP from Piestewa Peak. Getting there on 1A from DD several times in the past always resulted in u-turning back. So this time I said "no" and tried to make a loop out of it. The GPS log shows a few wrong trails, too many hike-a-bikes, and a a trip into the park for a morning break.

The highlight of the ride was riding past the channel 3 TV van. One of their cute reporter chicks was perched up on the hill with an awesome view of downtown with a low sun angle. I just coasted by, getting a glimpse of her, I can't remember her name, but did recognize her. Much nicer-looking outside the tube than in the studio!

Quite a ride/hike, I love exploring the rough stuff. I think I like trail 1A, hiking is good exercise too. Next time, I'll explore the area south of the park entrance to expand the loop.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,040 Posts
I really like going east to west on 302/04 from the cheese grater area to Squaw peak. and then south on 200A is fun. when you hit Lincoln go east to 36th and up to the A&W house then 8A back to the goods.

this reminds me that I should get together a "coffee ride" sometime. Start and end at the coffee shop on camelback and 32nd. may need to wait for cooler weather, as we generally try to hit all the techy stuff in one ride. (cheese, Hairball, 302.....) nice loop options.
 

·
"No Clue Crew"
Joined
·
2,459 Posts
brianc said:
I really like going east to west on 302/04 from the cheese grater area to Squaw peak. and then south on 200A is fun. when you hit Lincoln go east to 36th and up to the A&W house then 8A back to the goods.

this reminds me that I should get together a "coffee ride" sometime. Start and end at the coffee shop on camelback and 32nd. may need to wait for cooler weather, as we generally try to hit all the techy stuff in one ride. (cheese, Hairball, 302.....) nice loop options.
X2! Nice loop!!! Needs to cool off a little :) ..........Drew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,040 Posts
Grave9 said:
X2! Nice loop!!! Needs to cool off a little :) ..........Drew
it's only 13-ish miles. :D

then again it was the final "ride" of my trusty LocoMoto. what a glorious way to send my trusty steed out.
 

·
Give it a crank
Joined
·
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did the 200a trail this morning, then up 8a, 8b, and 304 back to the parking lot. It took quite a bit of hike-a-bike but it was very enjoyable if you like that sort of thing. It was getting pretty hot and humid by 8am already, so that was it for the day. Pretty soon I'll have a complete loop all around the perimeter of the park starting from the Tatum trailhead which is the closest to my house.

brianc's loop also looks decent, I'll have to try that too!

 

·
parenting for gnarness
Joined
·
6,251 Posts
brianc said:
it's only 13-ish miles. :D

then again it was the final "ride" of my trusty LocoMoto. what a glorious way to send my trusty steed out.
dude has it been that long since youve been there? that was like 2 yrs ago? you're going to be so much better on that route now with all the riding you've been doing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,040 Posts
chollaball said:
dude has it been that long since youve been there? that was like 2 yrs ago? you're going to be so much better on that route now with all the riding you've been doing.
no. just that long since i did the offical "coffee ride".

I've been out there many many times. even found the "kitchen sink" once. :thumbsup:
 

·
Give it a crank
Joined
·
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had to check out the 302 up the Cheese Grater to 1A through the Irregular Line connector. It's a hike-a-bike going up, but most of the ride down the other side to 1A makes it worth it, the views are great, I only had my cell camera.

 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,040 Posts
Mtn-Rider said:
Had to check out the 302 up the Cheese Grater to 1A through the Irregular Line connector.
very nice to see you exploring more and more. there is so much to PMP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,040 Posts
big0mike said:
So, what's up with the Cheese Grater? Never ridden that section but by the name of it I'm not sure I do...
chunky and rocky piece of trail. the name makes it sound much worse than it really is. the upper section (above VOAZ) is much more difficult. try the lower section. btw, what might be my favorite place in PMP is at the mid point of the cheese grater. rock formation to the south of where upper cheese hits the trail from the VOAZ saddle. Just sit there, adn try to remember that you're in the middle of the city. :)

walk want you can't clean. that's what I do. Eventually you might start to like it and have fun doing that sort of riding. Or not, but then you'll have gain that knowledge.

Hairball got it's name for riding that trail at night. :thumbsup:
 

·
"No Clue Crew"
Joined
·
2,459 Posts
big0mike said:
So, what's up with the Cheese Grater? Never ridden that section but by the name of it I'm not sure I do...
Great section of trail. Like stated above the "upper" part is a little more challenging, BUT fun as ****!!!!
 

·
No Clue Crew
Joined
·
4,108 Posts
OK, I'm looking at The Map and I don't see anything marked or looking similar to the initials VOAZ.

If I had to guess I'd say lower Cheese Grater is 302/304 just west of where Cactus Garden is marked and upper would be more towards 1A/302 further north on the trail. I would also assume the "mid point" is north of the Cheese Grater label and between the first and second green trail shooting off to the right.

So, with all that ASSuming if I wanted to do the easier lower Cheese Grater I would take that first right above the Cheese Grater label taking me back to 1A, right?

Gonna do some scouting tomorrow morning to find this route and see how big/small a PitA it is. Got a couple buddies coming out with me Sunday, one that hasn't ridden in a while, so I wanna have a good route that's challenging but isn't gonna kill them, or me.

If anyone wants to join us the tentative schedule is to meet Sunday at 40th Street a little before 5a. I'll be there tomorrow morning about the same time for my reconnaissance...
 

·
I'm with stupid -------->
Joined
·
390 Posts
big0mike said:
OK, I'm looking at The Map and I don't see anything marked or looking similar to the initials VOAZ.

If I had to guess I'd say lower Cheese Grater is 302/304 just west of where Cactus Garden is marked and upper would be more towards 1A/302 further north on the trail. I would also assume the "mid point" is north of the Cheese Grater label and between the first and second green trail shooting off to the right.

So, with all that ASSuming if I wanted to do the easier lower Cheese Grater I would take that first right above the Cheese Grater label taking me back to 1A, right?

Gonna do some scouting tomorrow morning to find this route and see how big/small a PitA it is. Got a couple buddies coming out with me Sunday, one that hasn't ridden in a while, so I wanna have a good route that's challenging but isn't gonna kill them, or me.

If anyone wants to join us the tentative schedule is to meet Sunday at 40th Street a little before 5a. I'll be there tomorrow morning about the same time for my reconnaissance...
This is VOAZ (its marked well on 1A where it starts).

Take 1A to VOAZ then down cheese to 1A where you can loop back around or go anywhere else.
 

Attachments

·
"No Clue Crew"
Joined
·
2,459 Posts
This ride was last years sometime. Left from 40th and shea; headed west towards DD; up 1A to Voaz; down lower Cheese and out......Drew

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,040 Posts
If you are on 1A, there are two climbs that take you UP. traveling in a north-ish to south-ish direction the first is irregular link. the next is VOAZ (see sign post) each would be off to your right.
if you look at Mtb-Rider map above the VOAZ trail takes you to the saddle near dead center of his map. some place shy of the 2000' contour. getting to upper cheeze grater part of green trail above section labeled cheeze grater on Dale's map is a hike a bike from either side of that ridge. (irregular side or cheeze/cactus area)

if this works....here is the saddle on VOAZ that I'm refering to:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=33.553184,-112.015277&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=18&sll=33.553149,-112.01526&sspn=0.003599,0.005504&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=33.553149,-112.01526&spn=0.003599,0.005504&output=embed
View Larger Map
 

·
I'm with stupid -------->
Joined
·
390 Posts
Grave9 said:
This ride was last years sometime. Left from 40th and shea; headed west towards DD; up 1A to Voaz; down lower Cheese and out......Drew

What does the yellow sections in the blue trail line mean? Did the GPS loose its position? Just curious. Good loop though, that includes chutes so its a good sample of some of the harder trails at PMP but also includes a nice warm up and cool down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
big0mike said:
Sheeiiit... I'm just getting confused. I'll have to take a MUCH closer look at all these maps when I get home. I'm sure I'll figure it out. Either way I'll figure something out tomorrow morning... maybe...
If I've said this once, I've said it a million times, the best way to tackle PMP is to just get on the bike, and start riding. There are very, very few trails that are for the most part unridable. There may be sections of a trail that you'll need to get off the bike. But those sections are short. Don't be afraid to take your bike on a trail you're not familiar with. Trust me, you'll be fine.

But yes, it's always nice to know what exactly you are riding. That said, I've been riding PMP for over 10 years now, and I STILL have no idea what the trail numbers are.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top