Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
n00b eternal
Joined
·
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A short story and perhaps a warning:

I bought a Haro X3 this spring based on my room mates success with his 8.2 hardtail (a 2003) and the wonderful (dubious) review in MBAction. I have ridden the bike relatively hard for about three months now. Nothing huge: 4 to steep rock drops (high speed), 4 foot retaining walls, doubles, rock gardens, ladder bridges, etc. While it has held up pretty well (except the DJ2 fork is really harsh on the rkgrdns).

That said, I was happy with the bike until last Sunday, when my roomate and I added a 5' high section to our driveway practice area (photos follow). I happened to lose enough momentum to get stuck in the 5' section. I go to bail and I land find and my bike clatters off to the side. I laugh it off and get ready for another go, but as I pick up my bike, I notice that the rear wheel no longer spun freely. I thought the rear rotor looked bent (and it was), but I could not get it off (they really torqued it on) and didn't want to strip out the torx screw. My room mate dropped it off at the shop for me and I found out the next day that the whole rear swingarm was bent.

My bike sat at the shop for a week before the haro rep told them that it was minor enough damage to bend the swingarm back (it was just slightly bent). I'll know how well it works this weekend when I hit my stunts again and Keystone's bike park.

My question is: does this kind of damage wreck better bikes (SC VP-Free, Banshee) as well? I don't think it would, but I am already starting to grab parts for my next bike.

This is my room mate riding our practice area. This section is exactly 5 feet (ten inches wide), not that that is impressive... note our beefed up landing ramp (it weighs a ton).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,261 Posts
well, usually aluminum bikes break, not bend, so consider yourself lucky. You can trash any bike no matter how much it costs (well, exept for BMX inspired steel frames maybe). Funny things happen to a bike when it flails about without a rider on it....

I have a feeling your wheel wasent very well secured; the wheel allowing more flex, reducing the swingarm strength (just a hypothesis). You can bend a swingarm with your own strength when a wheel isnt there.
 

·
n00b eternal
Joined
·
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zedro said:
well, usually aluminum bikes break, not bend, so consider yourself lucky. You can trash any bike no matter how much it costs (well, exept for BMX inspired steel frames maybe). Funny things happen to a bike when it flails about without a rider on it....

I have a feeling your wheel wasent very well secured; the wheel allowing more flex, reducing the swingarm strength (just a hypothesis). You can bend a swingarm with your own strength when a wheel isnt there.
Hmmm... I don't think this was the problem (I could be wrong of course), I spot check my stuff before I ride. I have ridden alot of BMX street and have wrecked my bikes pretty bad and never had a problem like this. Of course, they were usually Cro-Mo and didn't have anything like disk brakes...
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,220 Posts
The bike takes a 5' drop to concrete, and...

ezweave said:
A short story and perhaps a warning:

I bought a Haro X3 this spring based on my room mates success with his 8.2 hardtail (a 2003) and the wonderful (dubious) review in MBAction. I have ridden the bike relatively hard for about three months now. Nothing huge: 4 to steep rock drops (high speed), 4 foot retaining walls, doubles, rock gardens, ladder bridges, etc. While it has held up pretty well (except the DJ2 fork is really harsh on the rkgrdns).

That said, I was happy with the bike until last Sunday, when my roomate and I added a 5' high section to our driveway practice area (photos follow). I happened to lose enough momentum to get stuck in the 5' section. I go to bail and I land find and my bike clatters off to the side. I laugh it off and get ready for another go, but as I pick up my bike, I notice that the rear wheel no longer spun freely. I thought the rear rotor looked bent (and it was), but I could not get it off (they really torqued it on) and didn't want to strip out the torx screw. My room mate dropped it off at the shop for me and I found out the next day that the whole rear swingarm was bent.

My bike sat at the shop for a week before the haro rep told them that it was minor enough damage to bend the swingarm back (it was just slightly bent). I'll know how well it works this weekend when I hit my stunts again and Keystone's bike park.

My question is: does this kind of damage wreck better bikes (SC VP-Free, Banshee) as well? I don't think it would, but I am already starting to grab parts for my next bike.

This is my room mate riding our practice area. This section is exactly 5 feet (ten inches wide), not that that is impressive... note our beefed up landing ramp (it weighs a ton).
you're a little surprised that something got bent? I understand your frustration over the incident, but any bike landing the wrong way onto concrete from that height could easily bend or break something critical either frame or component related. Concrete is pretty unforgiving.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,257 Posts
concrete. that's your problem.

why would you want to bail onto concrete?

why would you want your bike to land on concrete from 5 feet up?

now, as to your question --

Banshees are about as burly as you can get in a MTB frame. However, even a Banshee could break in a 5 foot fall to concrete. That's just not expected in a mtb ride. If I were a frame designer, I would not include "surviving 5-foot fall to flat concrete" on my list of goals for a frame. I doubt you would either, if you were designing the bike. Just think about it for a minute.

But the Banshee definitely would be more burly than your Haro. The X-3 is a relatively inexpensive bike made for what 85% or so of riders do. When you take your bike on a 5-foot-drop to flat concrete, you put yourself in the narrow category of bike abusers. For a bike abuser, you'd need to pick up the burlier Haro Werks model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
gonzostrike said:
Banshees are about as burly as you can get in a MTB frame. However, even a Banshee could break in a 5 foot fall to concrete. That's just not expected in a mtb ride. If I were a frame designer, I would not include "surviving 5-foot fall to flat concrete" on my list of goals for a frame. I doubt you would either, if you were designing the bike. Just think about it for a minute.
One word, "Rocks".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
I believe I'd have to agree that bailing from any decent height on any bike direct to concrete has the potential to break a number of things if hit right. I also believe that people actively look for things to be wrong with any Haro. If somebody had paid twice as much for an SC bike that was made identically and it broke in this manner, they wouldn't question the manufacturer. That's just what it seems like to me. I have a Haro Werx XLS, and I love it, but all kinds of people turn their nose up and dismiss it as second rate for some reason. Full SPV and XT and it's still crap apparently. I do all my halfway crazy mess on a Kona Stab, but a mechanic buddy of mine has a 2004 X3. We take it up on rocky DH trails every week, and twice a week he takes it urban riding, up to 6' drops to flat concrete. No problems at all, and he weighs 200 pounds. If you had broken last year's X3 like I used to have, I might understand, but the 2004 is crazy beefy, it weighs over 40 pounds, and that's with a single crown fork. Last year's wasn't meant for big drops anyway, you'd be comparing apples to oranges. Anyway, look at the construction and what it was made for, not the price tag. If Haro's stuff was that bad, their team wouldn't be winning everything that they are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
As the previously mentioned roommate, I'm going to take this opportunity to clear up some of the details.

I picked up his bike from the shop yesterday. The problem was not that the rear swingarm was bent. The tab for the rear brake mount was bent. Looking at the back of the bike, it was obvious that the bike landed on the rear brake and the rotor, so no wonder it bent. The tabs aren't very thick, and I wouldn't expect them to stand up to much danage at all. The reason my roommate was so unhappy was because the LBS originally told us that the swingarm was bad. This didn't make any sense, since the crash was only from halfway up the 2ft to 5ft transition ramp. The back of the bike only fell 3 or 4 ft, if that, and he had competely bailed off the bike by the time it hit the ground. The LBS originally telling us that the entire swingarm needed to be replaced did not speak highly of the quality of haro's components. In truth, it was only tab that was bent slightly out of alignment, the swingarm was fine. The LBS bent the tab back, and all was wine and roses.
 

·
n00b eternal
Joined
·
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
eli said:
As the previously mentioned roommate, I'm going to take this opportunity to clear up some of the details.

I picked up his bike from the shop yesterday. The problem was not that the rear swingarm was bent. The tab for the rear brake mount was bent. Looking at the back of the bike, it was obvious that the bike landed on the rear brake and the rotor, so no wonder it bent. The tabs aren't very thick, and I wouldn't expect them to stand up to much danage at all. The reason my roommate was so unhappy was because the LBS originally told us that the swingarm was bad. This didn't make any sense, since the crash was only from halfway up the 2ft to 5ft transition ramp. The back of the bike only fell 3 or 4 ft, if that, and he had competely bailed off the bike by the time it hit the ground. The LBS originally telling us that the entire swingarm needed to be replaced did not speak highly of the quality of haro's components. In truth, it was only tab that was bent slightly out of alignment, the swingarm was fine. The LBS bent the tab back, and all was wine and roses.
and you're a little b!tch.. (I'm doing this as hard as I possibly can)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
a bike falling from 5 feet to the ground? yes...it would probably damage any bike depending on how it landed...not just a 1400 Haro.

Ok...heres a bike test you can do at home!! Take a rock about the size of yer head and drop it onto your rear triangle from 5 feet up. Then take the rock into your LBS and drop it onto the rear triangle of a VP FREE (I am sure they would let you try it out) Post a write-up on mtbr about your findings!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,261 Posts
monk said:
a bike falling from 5 feet to the ground? yes...it would probably damage any bike depending on how it landed...not just a 1400 Haro.

Ok...heres a bike test you can do at home!! Take a rock about the size of yer head and drop it onto your rear triangle from 5 feet up. Then take the rock into your LBS and drop it onto the rear triangle of a VP FREE (I am sure they would let you try it out) Post a write-up on mtbr about your findings!!
or better yet, get your friends drunk, give them hammers, and tell them theres candy inside the frame. Its a highly scientific durability test.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top