Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...08&srccode=cii_14110944&cpncode=07-10311556-2

I got one of these 11 gallon air tanks and filled it up at a gas station to 45 psi (it could hold over 100 psi, but it was a 50 cent quarter machine and I only had 2 quarters and it ran out of time after 5 minutes).

Used it to air up some tight 2.4 Mutanoraptor tires on my Mavic UST rims which would never go on before with a floor pump, even difficult using a tube to seat these tight beads on a UST rim using a floor pump. So I first popped the tire on using a tube in less than 5 seconds each using the pressurized air tank. Removed the bead on one side and removed the tube. Put the Stans removable core tubles valve in the rim with the valve core removed. Wiped some dish soap on the inner rim and one unmounted bead with a wet sponge. And the bead popped on in 2 seconds perfectly. Then poured 2 ounces of Stans in the opened valve, replaced the valve core and aired it up. Did the other wheel. Went for a ride.

The Mutano's are so tight they didn't drip a drop not even through the sidewall, and possibly could run tubeless on UST rims without Stans.

These are very light tires and I'd always run them with tubes before, for years. I used about 35/40 psi front/rear pressure (pretty firm for my 200 lbs) to keep the sidewalls from folding sideways in corners, and for fear of some air loss as the Stans set into possible leaks. There were two very noticeable benefits: I dropped over 1/4 pound per wheel, and the tire rolls noticeably smoother than with tubes with the same air pressure. They've held air pressure for a day now. I'm going to try some lower pressures next ride to see how low I can go without loss of cornering confidence.

I'm going to try some tubeless 2.4 MotoRaptors to see if I can run lower pressures than the Mutano's. My first experience with tubeless during the last two months was using Hutchison Python 2.3's showed me that lower pressures roll easier, but those tires had very porous sidewalls and lost pressure every day, finally a small stick punctured it and after removing it the stick left a 3/16 in hole that Stans had no chance of sealing without a patch. I didn't like those tires, too square profile for it's very weak sidewall. The bigger and rounder Mutano's handle moderately sketchy rocky sections much better, not so hooky and choppy handling.

These air tanks make tubeless easy to mount up.

:thumbsup:

- ray

Attachments

·
Registered
938 Posts
That thing must be a pain-in-the-butt to carry around with you on a ride. Why not just get a mini-pump? You must need a trailer for it. Well, I guess you can roll it down the hills and chase after it.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fat Elvis said:
That thing must be a pain-in-the-butt to carry around with you on a ride. Why not just get a mini-pump? You must need a trailer for it. Well, I guess you can roll it down the hills and chase after it.
:D :D :D :thumbsup:

Yeh, I hate it when I drop one of these tanks in a rocky section and it explodes. The hose at the gas station is only long enough for shorter rides. What's a mini-pump?

:rolleyes:

·
Harky
159 Posts
You may be sorry...I tried using non UST tires on my Mavic Crossmax's. Looked promising at first...mounted OK...held air, etc....but left me walking home from burping air after a not so pretty landing off a drop. I was running about 35#...same as I ran in my UST tires. Much different result. It's not worth the risk. I do run Stans in my UST's..highly recommend it.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Maybe, maybe not...

harky said:
You may be sorry...I tried using non UST tires on my Mavic Crossmax's. Looked promising at first... but left me walking home from burping air after a not so pretty landing off a drop. It's not worth the risk. I do run Stans in my UST's..highly recommend it.
It all depends on the tire, and the kind of rim you're using with it, too. I've been running non-UST Spec Roll-X Pros on my Crossmax SLs for over a year and a half now. Have tried different pressures - from low 30ies for trail riding to 45-50lbs for racing (even though Stan does not recommend overinflating non tubeless tires over 40lbs) - not a single problem so far. The wheels roll better, have better traction, and - maybe most importantly - no flats in a year and a half of riding, on the same terrain where before I got pinch flats with the same tire/wheel set-up with tubes.

Don't knock it just because you had a bad experience, plenty of people use Stan's in non-UST tires with great success. Granted, like I said before - it depends on a tire, and maybe you just happened to have a bad tire/rim combo for the conversion, that also didn't fair very well with drops.

Arek

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Arek said:
It all depends on the tire, and the kind of rim you're using with it, too. I've been running non-UST Spec Roll-X Pros on my Crossmax SLs for over a year and a half now. Have tried different pressures - from low 30ies for trail riding to 45-50lbs for racing (even though Stan does not recommend overinflating non tubeless tires over 40lbs) - not a single problem so far. The wheels roll better, have better traction, and - maybe most importantly - no flats in a year and a half of riding, on the same terrain where before I got pinch flats with the same tire/wheel set-up with tubes.

Don't knock it just because you had a bad experience, plenty of people use Stan's in non-UST tires with great success. Granted, like I said before - it depends on a tire, and maybe you just happened to have a bad tire/rim combo for the conversion, that also didn't fair very well with drops.

Arek
My first non-UST's burped. Spiting liquid latex every ride, no matter the tire pressures. 2.3 Pythons were too light weight and the bead went on easily with a floor pump, which I see indicates the beads could stretch loose.

The Mutanos probably won't burp easily they are so hard to mount with a floor pump on UST rims. I rode them with low pressure today for a test and they were OK, but I didn't get immediate confidence in the slow braking corners, so will probably have to run more medium pressures.

- ray

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
harky said:
You may be sorry...I tried using non UST tires on my Mavic Crossmax's. Looked promising at first...mounted OK...held air, etc....but left me walking home from burping air after a not so pretty landing off a drop. I was running about 35#...same as I ran in my UST tires. Much different result. It's not worth the risk. I do run Stans in my UST's..highly recommend it.
you don't carry a spare tube when you ride with tubeless or tubeless conversions?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.