Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I pedal on the 1-2 gear on the 1st speed my chain goes behind the 1st gear. This always happens and I really don't know why or how to fix it. I am a beginner to the sport so far and I would really know how to fix this so if it happens in the future it won't be such a problem.

Bike: Specialized Pitch Sport

Picture of problem: https://i.imgur.com/X6BpXe6.png

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,819 Posts
You just need to set your limit screw properly. It's a minor adjustment. Swing by your local bike shop and they can get you sorted out.

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,516 Posts
You just need to set your limit screw properly. It's a minor adjustment. Swing by your local bike shop and they can get you sorted out.
As One Speed said the limit screw is not set properly. This video will show you how to fix it. It helps if you have a work stand. If you don't some trail heads have them and you can do it there.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,575 Posts
ASSUMING all it needs is a limit screw adjustment, a shop might do it for free (especially the one the bike was bought from, assuming it's fairly new). AND chances are they'd let you watch. Then you can deal with it yourself later.

Generally speaking, however, once set correctly, the limit screws don't "just go out of adjustment." What happens is the derailleur hanger gets bent, throwing all the adjustments out of whack. Adjusting the limit screws doesn't "fix" anything at that point. Sure, it'll prevent the chain from dropping behind the cassette, which can save your a$$ on the trail, but the true FIX for the problem is straightening or replacing the derailleur hanger.

The real reason to take this bike to the shop is so the shop can make sure the derailleur hanger is straight and THEN adjusting the derailleur.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.