Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm being riding Mountain bikes since 1983, motorcycles since 1991, move to california in 1995 and I found this country so big and my favorite riding places so far way I need to figure out a way to merge my two big wheel passions.

Here you have it.

I made this rack in 1997 to serve as crew mechanic for Paul solon on his Race Across America crossing (He use to be the record holder of the event) and carry four of his Kestrel 4000 and a few spare wheels too, when I was working for city cycle in San Francisco

Everything you see in the picture I carry on the motorbike

The race crew deal Never really got to happen, but at least change my life forever.

I carry Little loads somethings

Other times not so Little.

For example One of my IBIS Mountain tandems on the way to the UPS store.

Plus anything else I ever need too.

Enjoy.

ricardo

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Freemtnrider said:
Does your front wheel usually come off the ground when you put it on the center stand or is that because of the weight of the rack?
The center stand on this bikes is already vias to the back wheel, but the extra weight of the bicycles does make it a little more dramatic.

No big deal the minute you drop it on two wheels everything works "Just Fine", plus it make for some really fun long willies in the san francisco step streets.

For sure this set up is not for Wussies, but is actually pretty easy to handle if you have the skills.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
That's pretty good for the US of A but have you ever been to India or other third world countries? A 200cc single cylinder bike is transportation for a family of five along with all the food from the village market. A bicycle does almost the same work and is pedaled by a barefoot guy using pedals that have no cage, only spindles.

·
Registered
235 Posts
zrm said:
That's pretty good for the US of A but have you ever been to India or other third world countries? A 200cc single cylinder bike is transportation for a family of five along with all the food from the village market. A bicycle does almost the same work and is pedaled by a barefoot guy using pedals that have no cage, only spindles.
LOL

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
zrm said:
I have push the boundaries of the Laws, Including the laws of phisics a few times.and I have carried much bigger, heavier and bulkier items than just bicycles.

Also remember I can ride with all this stuff at 80mph all day long and cross really big spand of land this way.

A Grislly belt sander at about 180 pounds and a 16.5" floor standing drill press at about 140pounds, plus a few other dodats.

that so far is being the stupidies load I have ever carry,

In comparation boxes like this are a piece of cake.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brown_Teeth said:
I feel so inadequate :rolleyes: got to get me one of those motorizes thingies;)
well somehow you are..

My friend Mike "The Ant Load" pedal about 300 pounds of metal, plus Danny the guy with the long hair and his bike for a few miles on this trike.

Yeap the load was a little long

Since this trike is front wheel drive (bad poor design, or at least compromise) we need to keep as much mass over the front axle reason why Danny was standing right there the whole time.

I consider my self a pretty strong cyclist but sincerely i was only able to carry this two guys and some tools for a few blocks uphill.

Don't feel bad, Mike is a pretty acomplish studmuffing, rider, messenger, etc he even won a few gold medals at the world messengering championships in NYC a few years back

·
check your six
4,181 Posts
Whoa!! That's dedication....and brilliant, ... if you have the bike handling skills,... me?... nope,.. not at all...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.