Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
grasso e lento
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know this is dumb as dumb gets but I just have to ask....

So the other day I am out riding and I come up on a large group walking up hill. I see them so I slow as not to piss anyone off. Two of the guys in the group turn around and start chanting, here comes the big german slowly making his way... I make a crack and we all laugh then they both say "Oh and it's a single speed"... I didn't know how to take that but I said something stupid like don't tell anyone it's a secret, then I pedaled away. After sometime I started to think, Ok so what's the big freakn' deal and how do you reply to that lame comment??

Maybe I took it wrong but I was miffed....

-Dude

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
this is what they are:

Dude said:

So the other day I am out riding and I come up on a large group walking up hill. I see them so I slow as not to piss anyone off. Two of the guys in the group turn around and start chanting, here comes the big german slowly making his way... I make a crack and we all laugh then they both say "Oh and it's a single speed"... I didn't know how to take that but I said something stupid like don't tell anyone it's a secret, then I pedaled away. After sometime I started to think, Ok so what's the big freakn' deal and how do you reply to that lame comment??

-Dude
Don't be miffed. I've encountered the same thing too: http://www.adventurefind.com/hbfk/cadence/cadence.html

·
Registered
323 Posts
Dude said:

-Dude
Just tell them you’re a Fook'n Bad Ass...and then squirt them with your waterbottle filled with Kool-Aid. I prefer cherry myself, but grape is also highly effective. Not only will they find you extremely hilarious but also very refreshing.

·
grasso e lento
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fast Eddy said:
...offered to share your weed.

You're right. It was lame.

No; it cost more than my bike... :rolleyes:

skinny-tire said:
... Tell them you're on a budget and can't afford gears.
The truth hurts.. :mad:

-Dude

·
rbtm member
888 Posts
Dude said:
After sometime I started to think...
There's the problem. Why give something so trivial any more thought? Forget it, move on and have fun.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I'd say they were....

having fun, enjoying the day, and joking around with you. You could have been anybody, SS, gears, or otherwise. When I'm out with my son in the jogger in Auburn, I tend to always joke with the anyone passing/climbing by on Stage Coach. Just being nice and conversing, I'd take it as nothing else, especially since you said you all laughed together.

You were right, posting and obviously overthinking the event is lame, but I hope you at least enjoyed your ride! ;)

·
I'm feeling dirty, you?
855 Posts
Those boys just have a lame-arse sense of humor, watched too much TourDF and have little to no respect for big gear riders. The big German happens to be Jan Ullrich in my books the top roadie, even if Lance is the ultra-high performance cycling freak of a man.

I would have made a equally lame and smart-arse comment like:
"I'll be waiting for you to catch up at the top of the hill in a few minutes."

At least they should have cheered you on with "Go son!"

·
Am I getting too bulky?
800 Posts
Why would you take that comment as lame? Why do so many that responded feel like it was? Do SSers have some kind of major inferiority complex, such that they can't take a joke? I ride SS and am proud of it. You should be too! Seems to me they were giving you mad props! And if not, they were at least giving you a backhanded compliment. If anything, they were putting themselves down, and not you. Why not react to the remark with class? I'd say you should take comments like that with as much class as you can come up with, and laugh at the situation just like they probably were. Don't let the fact that you ride SS make you into a *****.

·
grasso e lento
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's not that way

BikeHigh,

It's hard to convey tonal inflections in an email. It amazes me that an additional comment had to be made. Up to the point of mentioning I was riding a SS we had been joking then I thought, OK so what's the big deal about being on a SS versus something else. The round about point was just what you said.
Don't let the fact that you ride SS make you into a *****

It shouldn't make a difference and it doesn't to me. So I was unprepared to make a comment. Not replying is just as bad or worse in my book. :rolleyes:

-Dude

1 - 15 of 15 Posts