Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
First ride report

Well, we'll get to the color. "Ano olive". In darker lighting, it appears a metallic gold-green, I guess kind of like a uniform version of a tarnished brass. In good lighting, it's gold with barely a hint of green. Fantastic color and I owe the Turner guys a debt of gratitude for this. Thanks Greg and David!

Next point of order is the jump from a Flux to an RFX. To be concise, I got on it and I realized right away it was my dream bike. When holding the frame or complete assembly, it feels very heavy compared to the Flux, but when I built it, I was absolutely floored when it felt and pedaled like something lighter. The DHX-C perhaps deserves a load of credit and those (including Blingzilla) who recommended me to it couldn't have been any more right. Despite the weight penalty, the ride and traction offered is fantastic. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

What shocked me even more was taking it out onto the trails and seeing how efficient a climber this bike is. I was burnt out on riding for the last month, so coming back to something some five pounds heavier was a bit scary. Normally, I'm in "save myself until the end of the ride mode", so I don't go crazy and look to run one pace, no playing, no breaks for several hours. A few minutes into the ride, I realized that I was riding better than I previously did on the Flux, so I went pretty all-out. I don't know what it is about the RFX, but it's stable as hell and I saw the concern about the slack head angle was completely unfounded. I ran my All Mountain 1 in 150mm mode on tight singletrack and to be 100% honest, I didn't find myself reaching for the TAS to go into 130. Just amazing. Climbs weren't even bad. There's fantastic traction offered and it's smooooooth. Dare I say, it was easier to climb than with my Flux? I don't want to turn this into a supernatural observation, but perhaps the stars aligned right, I needed the break from riding, and was really motivated to enjoy this bike to its limit. Or perhaps it was just easier to climb. I never broke traction and the rear followed the trail features as I would have expected any Turner-Horst or Non Horst to. I was even looking for flaws with the 6" of travel and my riding style, but it was fantastic the way it was. I shall try 5" rockers and see how I like a more xc oriented head angle, along with shorter travel in the front.

TNT- What's this? A simple pivot location change and weenies all over the world were fretting about it. I mean, I seriously looked for the mismatch with my riding and the long travel. Concisely, the non-horst rear end simply makes no difference whatsoever. The bike still rides like a Turner, it's still compliant under braking, still moves up and down, etc. I can't comment on stiffness, as I've gone from the lightweight rear to the heavy duty.
Regardless, nothing more can be said than this bike rides like a Turner, handling is amazing.

A point I would like to bring forth is that people spend too much time playing the numbers game. I viewed the geometry and weight of the RFX and thought it might be a mismatch for the heavy duty XC I planned on using it for. The Burner in part fell to this fate being relatively heavy and short on travel compared to the competition, but the numbers game doesn't tell anything about the quality of the ride. 68 degree head angle? Please, the bike handles switchbacks like a dream without pushing into turns. High eight pound range? Well, I do have mine equipped for heavy duty XC, regardless, all things being equal to the Flux except for the fork, this bike feels better, believe it or not. It seems to climb better. Counterintuitive? Yeah, only if you play the numbers game. TNT inferior? No doubt the numbers game of not having the HL weighed heavily for some. I think several dozen have publically declared it doesn't mean ****, including myself (not that I bought Turner for the HL in the first place). I feel so strongly about this that I will not be offering Turner to buy the lightweight HL rear end I will be sending them back in a few days.

Some have suggested they would rather see a return of the XCE-style suspension just so they could have the "advantages" of the Horst Link. I spoke to David about this a few months ago and he told me he would never return to that style suspension. There are advantages in the newer, horizontal style rocker that outweighs the supposed advantages of the HL. I will agree. I was never a big HL fan. I was a fan of the Turner ride and simply, it's there, HL or not. I would rather have the proper rocker placement as opposed to having a pivot position that's mostly advertising and aesthetics.

Turners are the sum of their parts and this is only a small contributor. Work was definitely put in to retain the classic Turner ride we all love. No doubts, it's still there and they are still in my eyes 50% great bike and 50% great people backing them.

Attachments

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DS,
I can tell you pictures don't do it justice.

Build? Basically it's an RFX-lite. Slightly heavier duty XC wheels, 6" brakes, All Mountain 1 fork, bashguard, etc. Nothing special. As my ability and needs go up, so will my build.

BZ,
Oh, I'll certainly have some fun with this one up there. Instead of rolling and searching for the smoothest lines at Sprain, I'll be launching them. Can't wait. Can't wait to turn this thing downhill from the top to the parking lot at Blue.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.