Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bro-in-law sent me this picture from his ride today.

State Parks has a CCC crew out making Rough Go baby jogger friendly. They didn't finish killing the top portion and the crew boss said they were being pulled to help in Crescent City so maybe some of the good stuff will last a bit longer.

I really liked that trail, up, and down.

With no trail features to keep speeds down I see the conflicts increasing in the future.

Attachments

·
pro leisure tour
773 Posts
Noooooooo....................

That trail was so fun to go up. It was challenging and it took time. Tell them to put that stuff back right now! What were they thinking?:madman:

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Oh for teetyfocking jebus' sake...

Itchy The Clown said:

State Parks has a CCC crew out making Rough Go baby jogger friendly. They didn't finish killing the top portion and the crew boss said they were being pulled to help in Crescent City so maybe some of the good stuff will last a bit longer.

With no trail features to keep speeds down I see the conflicts increasing in the future.
Sorry to cuss... but dayum!!! That was my favorite trail. Fun down and up.

What a waste. Well, it is multi-use. Sucks for my use, tho.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,164 Posts
oferfuxache :madman:

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Lame, that's the reason I go to Annadel.
But now it will be a freeway I can go 30+ down and buzz hikers :rolleyes:

Hopefully they are just putting dirt along the trail to smooth it and it will wash away in a few short years.

·
NedwannaB
12,784 Posts
Can't quite tell from pic

Itchy The Clown said:

Doesn't appear to be native fill soil either. So when it does wash away, as d-bug mentioned, going to jepordize the spawning beds. :nono: The horror. And I remember a couple years ago when CCC went savage with trail maint on NBurma and Carlos and the BikeMonkey/SCTC crew had to go in an re-dress the carnage.

Good call on the speeds as that section was a tricky part to carry it and now could pose a problem. :skep:

Edit: Cringing while waiting to get flamed by itchy for this ^^ tricky comment. :eek:

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
I give it a few seasons before it'll be back to the way it was. But the question is: Why? Why would they put so much time and effort in? Equestrians?
If it were due to the continued water erosion why not just put in water diversion hips?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Rough Go is one of the few trails that holds up in wet weather.

You'd think they would put in time and effort on a trail that could actually use some help--like making Ridge more rain-friendly, or doing something with the very bottom of Lawndale...

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
Isn't that the first section shortly after entering the trail from Spring Creek at the bridge?

What a bummer. I really enjoyed riding up Rough Go as it was one of the only trails that took complete concentration, patience and skills to clean. Not steep, just technical.

I hope they leave the top alone.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
shoot, i always had difficulty on that trail but thought it was great nonetheless...i'd love to hear the 'splanation of this...

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
I think the nature will take it course, and it will rough up.

I suspect, that if they do trail maintenance of any kind whatsoever, they do not have much choice, in the current bureaucratic climate, to make it any rougher, or any narrower.

·
Bullit Rider
328 Posts
Stripes said:
Weaksauce. Are they going to rename it "Smooth Go?" :rolleyes:
Really... what are they thinking? Pretty sure it was called "Rough Go" for a reason. From the Annadel brochure:

"Rough-Go Trail- Once you start on this trail, you will know how it got it's name. It is a steep, rough path with full southwestern sun exposure and will take you past rocks, boulders, and grassland meadows on your way to Lake Illsanjo"

Maybe they'll have to change the wording to "steep, smooth path with rocks & boulders on either side of the trail".

I might check it out later today...

Clay

·
AM, monstercross, klunker
207 Posts
WHAT A DUMB THING TO DO

I liked that trail.

They also just graded one of my local trails at the end of last Summer, which turned it into a mud trough after the next rain. We mountain bikers used to be criticized for being destructive, but now it seems that we know a lot more about making/using/preserving trails in a low-impact manner than the bureaucrats who decide where/how to do trail work.

Truly sad.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It's only the bottom third of the trail, and it won't last through one rainy winter. Mother nature will bring rough go back.

·
NedwannaB
12,784 Posts
Same spot

isleblue65 said:
Isn't that the first section shortly after entering the trail from Spring Creek at the bridge? I hope they leave the top alone.
I haven't heard of any rider carnage lately on that bottom section of RGO, EMT calls anyway, the trail that really shouts for some "maintenance luv" is the lower section(s) of Sth Burma at WP Rich. What there's been like 3-4 serious extractions from there of late, GuruAtma's, a ride acquaintance Todd with a broken neck and couple more a male and female rider I believe. It may have been the works and waiting for things to dry out to get back on it. Hopefully that's the case.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
are they changing the trail alignment at all? or just filling in dirt to make it smoother? its seems like it would be very difficult to excavate all those rocks, move them to the side, and have a surface that a baby jogger would be able to negotiate. unless hans rey is pushing the jogger :)

1 - 20 of 199 Posts