Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't decide on which frame to sell. I currently have a Specialized Epic 3.75" travel, Specialized Demo 8, Banshee Chaparral 6" and a Marin Attack Trail 4"-6"adjustable travel. Which frame should I get rid of the Chaparral or the Attack Trail? I like to ride all types of terrains. I like the burliness of the Chap but it is on the porky side. The Marin is well rounded and lighter, but not as strong as the Chap.

I'm leaning towards the Chap, but welcome any suggestions. TIA.

Duc

·
Registered
115 Posts
Keep the marin. Great frame for the money, you can fit a 7.5x2.0 shock in it too, which will give you up to 7" travel in a trailbike. In fact, sell the Chap and put a 5th element in the Attack Trail. The 5th works great witht the Marin (wish I still had mine). Besides, Marin's don't seem to sell for what they are worth. The last AT on ebay went for like $525, with hydros and a z1 I think. If there had been a fricken ellsworth sticker on that bike it would have gone for $1500.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
duc135 said:
Can't decide on which frame to sell. I currently have a Specialized Epic 3.75" travel, Specialized Demo 8, Banshee Chaparral 6" and a Marin Attack Trail 4"-6"adjustable travel. Which frame should I get rid of the Chaparral or the Attack Trail? I like to ride all types of terrains. I like the burliness of the Chap but it is on the porky side. The Marin is well rounded and lighter, but not as strong as the Chap.Duc
Sell the Marin that way you have the best of 3. The Epic for all your XC & general use needs, the Demo 8 for DH big hit stuff & the Chap for AM 6" mode. That covers any situation you get into & if you need a 2nd bike for a friend you have it.
Ok i'll admit i'm not a Marin fan but i do alot of my riding there.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SecondSkin said:
Keep the marin. Great frame for the money, you can fit a 7.5x2.0 shock in it too, which will give you up to 7" travel in a trailbike. In fact, sell the Chap and put a 5th element in the Attack Trail...
Do you mean a 5th air or coil? I currently have a Swinger 3 Way air in it and am considering a Swinger 4 Way air. Will any other shock be an improvement on this frame? The problem I'm having is that if I set the correct sag on the 5" setting, it's too harsh in the 4" and too soft on the 6" settings.

Duc

·
Registered
115 Posts
duc135 said:
Do you mean a 5th air or coil? I currently have a Swinger 3 Way air in it and am considering a Swinger 4 Way air. Will any other shock be an improvement on this frame? The problem I'm having is that if I set the correct sag on the 5" setting, it's too harsh in the 4" and too soft on the 6" settings.

Duc
I ran the 5th Element air, but always wanted to get the coil. In any event, I never changed the travel during a ride (not really necessary here in Michigan). If it were necessary to do that, I would consider carrying a shock pump (or a combo shock/tire pump) with me to change the pressure setttings when changing the travel settings. When I did change travel, I did notice the extreme softness in the 6" setting, but the 4-5" settings seemed usable without major changes.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
SecondSkin said:
I ran the 5th Element air, but always wanted to get the coil. In any event, I never changed the travel during a ride (not really necessary here in Michigan). If it were necessary to do that, I would consider carrying a shock pump (or a combo shock/tire pump) with me to change the pressure setttings when changing the travel settings. When I did change travel, I did notice the extreme softness in the 6" setting, but the 4-5" settings seemed usable without major changes.
Ok the answer you want, keep the Marin & sell the rest to make the Marin better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts