Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for new platform pedals, and want something as thin as i can get without sacrificing grip, i've got a pretty low BB and want to do whatever i can to minimize pedal strikes.

Weight isnt as important but would definitely be nice if they happened to be light as well.

There's a ton of pedals out there, and probably a lot of smaller companies with good pedals that i dont know about.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Not sure if the thinnest or lightest or strongest, but I have found that polymer pedals, e.g. Race Face Chesters, make the somewhat inevitable pedal strikes of long, low bikes more "tolerable." Ymmv.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Grip/spike height correlates somewhat to pedal strikes, of course. But I hear ya.

Are you open to an off-brand? I switched to these at start of this season and have been very happy.

* Low profile
* Very grippy
* Under $30 bucks!!!
* Multiple bling colors
* Bearings still super smooth after all the challenging rides in my area (Soquel, Skeggs, Rocky Ridge, etc), including 3-4 pedal strikes.

https://www.amazon.com/Mzyrh-Mountain-Pedals-Non-Slip-Bearing/dp/B07DHGTM6Q/

I just measured these heights, not in Amazon description:
Line Electric blue Engineering Parallel Circle

Critiques:
* I wish they were concave for even more grip, but that would make the pedal fatter, increasing pedal strikes.
* Anodization quality is good, but not super.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
I’ve got a part of one up pedals that I like. I have to say the aluminum body on them is not as thin as my other flat pedal of choice, which is also less expensive. In fact, you can almost buy two sets of Xpedo Sprys for what the one ups cost. I’ve gone through a couple sets of spry pedals, they tend to last a couple years, so I don’t feel like $70 is a lot of money for them, considering what I was paying for clipless pedals and shoes and cleats, etc.

In short, the spry is the thinnest lightest pedal I’ve come up with. I bought the 1up pedals to support a shop and have something super nice to put on my first new bike in 7 years. I like them, but depending on how long they last, they may be replaced by a set of spry pedals when they’re done.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Are you open to an off-brand? I switched to these at start of this season and have been very happy.
No bike part is gauranteed perfect and there may be some quality off-brand stuff, but pedals is one of those places i would not take a gamble. I recall someone posting photos of a Rock Bros pedal that was a knockoff of someone else's design. The spindle snapped in the middle during a ride. Imagine being impaled in the calf by the jagged end of a broken pedal spindle. There's a ton of this stuff flooding the market. If the price seems too good to be true, it probably is.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I just went through this same search and narrowed down to the Kona Wah Wah II at 13mm thin and have tons of grip and Crank Brothers Stamp also at 13mm. I bought the Kona as they were cheaper and lighter and have been very happy with them.

·
Nothing seems to kill me
742 Posts
I'm a Spank Spike fan. Around 12mm and super grippy and durable. The Oneup aluminum are 8.3mm at the leading edge and 12mm at the thickest. Haven't tried the Oneups but they would be next on my list if the Spikes ever fail me.

·
Registered
187 Posts
One Up composite have a noticeable raised lump at the center axle compared to their alloy version. Doesn't bother some folks, but you'll feel it under your foot.

HT AE3's are nice and thin at 11mm. Spendy, but great pedals.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.