Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which would mean upgrading my Trek 4500 to a 27 speed bike. I don't like the way my current shifters look, and the X.7's look good and are getting good reviews. I know I'd also have to buy a new cassette, but is there anything else in my drivetrain that wouldn't be compatible with the new shifters? Will the new cassette fit on my current hub? Everything on my drivetrain is still stock, so I'm using Shimano Alivio front derailer, and deore rear.

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
some_guy282 said:
which would mean upgrading my Trek 4500 to a 27 speed bike. I don't like the way my current shifters look, and the X.7's look good and are getting good reviews. I know I'd also have to buy a new cassette, but is there anything else in my drivetrain that wouldn't be compatible with the new shifters? Will the new cassette fit on my current hub? Everything on my drivetrain is still stock, so I'm using Shimano Alivio front derailer, and deore rear.
You would need a new rear derailure too.

·
Administrator
11,576 Posts
If your bike is an 8spd, then you will need a new set of chainrings, a chain, a rear derailler (sram esp only), possibly a new bottom bracket to get the chainline right, and a new cassette. I would also change the cables and housing too to get all the benefits of the new set up.

All components will need to be nine speed. The chain must be a nine speed as well as the chainrings. It might be easier to score a cheap Shimano crank than to get nine speed chainrings and put them on.

DO NOT buy the X7 shifters without an X7, X9, or X.0. rear der. These shifters will not work with any rear shimano der.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
Yeah, you need all that new stuff. Do you really want to upgrade this bike? If the shifters work OK, who cares what they look like?

If you've got the money to upgrade to 9 spd, with shifters, rear deraillure (SRAM only, if you stick with Shimano, you can probably use the same RD), chain (they're cheap), chainrings (9 spd is a diff width, that's why you need the diff. chain and rings - the cassette is narrower so it's all gotta match.), then you've got money to be looking at a diff bike with all the stuff you need or want. I suppose you have to decide what's more cost effective.

9 speed isn't necessarily better - some still live and die by 8 speed for it's near indestructability. But the SRAM stuff is really smooth and shifts like Shimano never did...If you love your bike and want to upgrade, you WILL notice a big difference. But for the $200-300, you might consider a better upgrade, i.e. forks, wheels/tires.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chad1433 said:
Yeah, you need all that new stuff. Do you really want to upgrade this bike? If the shifters work OK, who cares what they look like?
I guess you're right. I figured if it wouldn't cost much I would do it, but I didn't know so many other things would have to be upgraded as well. I'd have to basically upgrade the whole drivetrain - not worth it. I think I heard somewhere SRAM is making trigger shifters for 8 speeds next year. I'll keep a look out for those.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.