Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mud lover
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Judging by the comments in these forums and the demo videos on the website (especially the one where they ride over nails and stab the tire(!) I think I'm sold on trying the Stans tubless kit.

I am confused though as to the different rim strips, and also the business of drilling out the valve hole.

Has anyone here tried this system with Halo Freedom Disc wheels and could advise me on the correct rim strip to use?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Converted to tubeless

Decided to give it a try.
Rims - FSA XC-300
Tires - Furious Fred 2.25 with race guard, NON UST
System - Stans

Drilling out the rim was a pain. I ended up using a round file and slowly made the top valve hole bigger - this is a really important step to allow the Stans strip to seat below the bead lock.
Removed FSA rim strip and used Stans tape. Soaped up the Stans strip and installed, went on easy. Got the tire on, soaped up the bead and started pumping with my floor pump - no luck. Went to my local Home Depot and purchased a 3 gallon comnpressor ($80). The tire went on easy. Jump up and down in joy! Hung the wheel up on my door, let the air out and added 60 gms of Stans. Blew the tire back up, did the Stans dance and checked this morning. Looks like I'm good to go. Next wheelset I do will be faster, this one took close to 2 hours with all the prep work and fiddling around. A good compressor is crucial. Looking forward to saving that 18 watts in my next race!

·
Registered
152 Posts
SimonMW said:
I'm going to try Stans. The only real issue remaining is that my current tires are Kendas. I've read that these can have issues with the sealant.
Both me and a friend have Kenda Nevs and haven't had any problems, we're running 2 ply DH casing 2.5's in the front and 2.35 UST Nevs on the rear.
Honestly, I'd run the UST 2.35, they're a bit bigger than most 2.35's I've used in the past, anyway we've had zero problems........

Good Luck

·
Registered
302 Posts
Kendas can be a little harder to seal due to the ribbing right above the bead. I would definitely air them up with a tube for a bit if they are brand new tires. Trying to get warped folding bead tires that have been sitting in the box to seal up is really hard at first! Still best move I've ever made and I've got them on three bikes....all with Nevegals!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.