Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be riding Unicoi State Park on Friday and wanted to ride something different on Saturday. I haven't ridden anything else around Helen other than the Unicoi trail. I have ridden Bear Creek in Elijay but no where else in the GA mountains. I'm up for suggestions but I think that Bull Mountain is my choice unless I'm convinced otherwise by the board.

Anybody been to Bull recently? Is there a good map available?

·
Where is my mind?
1,130 Posts
On the map, the left hand side is the Bull mountain trail system and the right is Jake mountain. I've only done bull mountain. Someone else may be able to fill you in about Jake Mountain. You can pick any route you want. I haven't been there since last year, but if you chose Bull mountain; from the parking lot I would recommend climbing up (and it will be painful) and descending the whoop de doo section. Expect some crazy short dropoffs, at some serious speed. Between the Whoop de doo to Bare Hare may start off a little boring (but is probably an easier way to the top, oh, the opposite way is insanely fast). I haven't done lawrence creek, but BH and LC are both supposed to be fun. Then just descend going counter clockwise.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Hopefully, there will soon be a good map of the Bull and Jake trails. I am under contract with the USFS to complete a Trail Management Plan for the area and am close. I am working with a partner with the USFS and we are close to a set of maps that would be more helpful than anything previously available.

The Jake side of the trail system (the eastern side) is pretty bad, some of the worst trails I have ever looked at (and I get paid to look at bad trails). Poor design and tons of horse traffic have paid a toll on these trails.

The Bull side has some water based erosion problems, but nothing like the eastern half.

The Management Plan should be completed in the next 2 weeks, and SORBA will recieve this document when completed. Maybe they can post this plan when completed on the SORBA website.

Woody Keen
President- Trail Dynamics LLC
President- Professional Trailbuilders Association
Board of Directors- IMBA
Certified NC Clear Water Contractor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.