Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. I'm interested in getting opinions on MTB and general comments about the area. I understand there are some downhill trails close by and saw the chumba demo videos on the downhill forum. Looks like fun but I'm mostly an SS geek. Any XC around? I moved to vegas from tahoe so I know I can always hit those trails on weekend trips but something a little closer would be nice.

I've also seen that 2 bedroom condos are in the $1800-2k range. I imagine that there isn't really a ghetto in pacifica with prices like that, but are those condos decent?

Also, how about the ocean? It looks like there is surfing at rockaway beach. I'm not a surfer but wouldn't mind learning. Is it crowded out there and a lot of aggro douchbags to make it a PITA? I could do sea kayaking or just wetsuit swimming instead, lol!

Final Q, is there an easy way to bike commute to SF? I see a BART station in Daly city that is like 8-10 miles away, but how are the roads/bike lanes?

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Local popular Pacifica trails are Crack, Mile and Boy Scout. 911 still around?

For XC riding know there are some locals who can point you to Montara Mountain, but for SS check out Waterdog park in nearby Belmont and El Corte de Madera aka Skeggs. Both are a fairly short drive south on 280 from Paficia.

Are you set on Pacifica because it is close to the surf, and close enough to a job in SF?

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,465 Posts
There are XC trails around, but most are a bit of a drive. You probably could put together some SS-able trails from your door, but the good stuff is a half hour or more drive.

I am not a surfer, but it looks like the breaks are crowded in Pacifica. I haven't heard the horror stories of locals beating on folks (like you sometimes hear in Santa Cruz), but be cautious.

Bike commute to the city would be challenging. The 8-10 miles to Daly City BART would be tough, as you need to climb from sea level up to the ridge top, then drop down to BART. The direct route (Highway 1) is closed to bikes, so you'd have to go up Sharp Park Road and then over on Skyline or similar. Doable, but miles and climbing. I suspect there are busses that allow bikes, so you could add this stage also.

Overall, Pacifica could be a real nice place, but can get foggy (especially in the summer).

·
Urban Ninja
2,381 Posts
big_slacker said:
Title says it all. I'm interested in getting opinions on MTB and general comments about the area. I understand there are some downhill trails close by and saw the chumba demo videos on the downhill forum. Looks like fun but I'm mostly an SS geek. Any XC around? I moved to vegas from tahoe so I know I can always hit those trails on weekend trips but something a little closer would be nice.

I've also seen that 2 bedroom condos are in the $1800-2k range. I imagine that there isn't really a ghetto in pacifica with prices like that, but are those condos decent?

Also, how about the ocean? It looks like there is surfing at rockaway beach. I'm not a surfer but wouldn't mind learning. Is it crowded out there and a lot of aggro douchbags to make it a PITA? I could do sea kayaking or just wetsuit swimming instead, lol!

Final Q, is there an easy way to bike commute to SF? I see a BART station in Daly city that is like 8-10 miles away, but how are the roads/bike lanes?
Get a DH bike and you'll be McLovin some Crack - Mile - Boyscout or you can walk fireroads. Your choice.

·
low speed, high drag
317 Posts
There's great XC at El Corte Madera aka Skegg's, which is no more than a 20 minute drive from Pacifica. Linda Mar on the south side of town is a great place to learn to surf. Mostly just begginers, or "kooks" ;) And if you get bored, the city is 15 minutes away. I like it, the only drag is that it can literally be covered in fog for a month straight in the summer...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Pacifica

There is a pretty big hill between Daly City and Pacifica. Not sure how fit you are, but the bike commute can definitely be done.

Skeggs up off of Skyline is pretty good for xc, but there is mostly DH in Pacifica, as far as I know. That's why I go there anyway.

The surf is pretty decent in Pacifica. The beginners beach is Lindamar, pretty tame waves and not much localism. Good place to learn to surf.

Pacifica is VERY foggy, FYI. If you moved to Belmont, you could get the same price condo, be within riding distance of trails, still be very close to surf and have the train to the city while getting the Cal sun.

That being said, I live in Burlingame and Pacifica is def. on my list if I end up moving.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
I'm sure the Pacifica locs will chime in here but while we wait for them...

Have you ever lived on the coast? I have a real good friend who lived in Vegas and used to say "It doesn't get that hot in Vegas". Well, people in Pacifica say "It doesn't get that foggy in Pacifica".

To me that is really the only downside about the place. Expect to literally not see the sun for weeks on end from May to August. If you can deal with that I think you will like it. Honestly, if it wasn't for the fog, the place would be ridiculously over populated so I think it's a good thing.

I'm not an expert in the surfing department but my understanding is that the breaks are fairly beginner in town, which keeps the localism up the coast at Ocean Beach in SF or down the coast in Half Moon Bay. I could be wrong though.

One more tip...get a DH or AM bike. Pacifica is known as the best DH spot in the bay area.

Welcome(back) to NorCal!

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I'm moving because vegas sucks. I want a family friendly place as we're looking at having kids shortly after I move. I love the beach and the mountains so I need to be close to either/or. My wife is more of a beach girl, some of her first memories are living in a small town on the baltic. Tahoe was awesome for this (nevada beach and you're in the mountains) but I don't think there is one business that will pay my rate as a network/security engineer. 6 figs is expected in the bay area hence the reason why its on my short list.

Finally I like places that aren't super crowded where you can walk or ride to places of interest. (beach, coffee shops, parks, bars, restaurants) Pacifica seems on paper to be such a place. Small city feel but close to the big city. I'm open to other suggestions of course, I don't know the bay area THAT well, just been to SF for giants/raiders games and to SJ to visit my brother. It just has to fit the criteria, I'm not moving to a 'compromise' again, I'm at the point in my life where I can live pretty much anywhere and really want to find home.

So, its very foggy in the summer huh? Well, its 110 degrees all summer here. I have to get up at freakin 5am to go riding and its mid 90's by 9am. Anyone who says its 'not that hot' probably goes from their AC'd house to their AC'd car to their AC'd work to the AC'd bar and repeat. I like to be outside. :D

I grew up in portland OR (constant rain all year), spent my 20's in tahoe (3 foot dumps overnight in the winter) and the last 4 hellish years in sin city. (100+ all summer) I'm pretty ok dealing with strange weather.

Fog and overcast is cool, love it! But are you saying the place is blanketed in fog all summer all day? Or is it in the morning and burns off later in the day?

Back to MTB, if the DH hills are what is close I guess maybe I need to convert the SS to an urban commuter and trade in my older tracer for the new 6" model then? Or am I going to need a full on FR or DH bike? :D

·
Urban Ninja
2,381 Posts
big_slacker said:
Back to MTB, if the DH hills are what is close I guess maybe I need to convert the SS to an urban commuter and trade in my older tracer for the new 6" model then? Or am I going to need a full on FR or DH bike? :D
The Tracer should be fun out there :thumbsup: There's also Sweeny Ridge that is between Pacifica and San Bruno. Mostly fireroads and real steep but incredible views! I would guess Pacifica is like 100 times better than Lost Wages. Yer gonna love it ;)

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
If you got great skills, 6" is going to be fine.

But if you are like me, middle of the crowd type downhill rider, then the full blown DH bikes will be great to have along the drops and rock garden. Ride your current setup for a while and if you see others flying by at speed thru Mile, then consider getting a DH bike.

Oh, Full face and body armor highly highly recommended.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
I have a buddy who commutes a couple days a week into downtown from Pacfica. Besides Sharp Park, there is a residential street route up to the great highway, it's a climb also, but not that big a deal, it's gets you in shape and warms you up real quick.

Not sure if there are townhouses or condo's back there but in the far back area's of Pacfica, out around San Pedro park get's more sun. Theirs definitely some fun off the radar stuff out there for a cross country bike.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I think Pacifica is a wonderful place if you like varying weather conditions. I like seeing the fog, which you will get a major dose.

I think you will probably change your riding style as well. The trails are pretty amazing, but aggressive. You could always drive to Skeggs if it doesn't suit you.

As for commuting to the city, while the distance is relatively short, the hills will get you. Even if you climbed over the ridge of hills surrounding Pacifica, time starts becoming a factor over every hill. But the roads are fine up to Skyline for commuting.

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome, thanks for the cam, gonna be checking that out from time to time. I'll be out there in late jan to check things out. I plan on looking at belmont as well, any other similar towns that tap the city (SF or SJ) tech jobs but aren't so urban/crowded?

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
If you have the dough, check out Redwood Shore behind Oracle, a complete 180 from Redwood City.

I somehow lucked out and rented there for two years before the rent skyrocketed, and it has to be the most peaceful small neighborhood I have lived.

It is the kind of place where most people are well off (not much crime), and ducks, swans, and gooses literally sit in the middle of the road or the ponds all over this area. Bike path along the ocean straight out from your door. Waterdog (mountain bike area) within 15 minutes local bike ride.

Little too quiet for my taste, but is beautiful and mid way between SF and SJ.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I had a friend who bought a place in Pacifica but after 3 years of not being able to see his ocean views for the fog (and one particularly stormy winter where his home came close to being ocean front) he sold up and moved to Belmont.

Norcal beaches are somewhat disappointing - pretty, but pack a wetsuit if you plan to actually touch the water. My only disappointment upon moving to the Bay Area was the beaches (but then I came from Sydney and lived on the beach there).

I've lived in Redwood Shores for about 7 years now - as Loll noted, it's very quiet and peaceful, a little overgoverned (we have two HOAs to tell us we can't even change a window in our place if we wanted to) but quite central. If you road-bike at all, it's a great location being well served by the Bay Trail going north and some good hills in Belmont/San Carlos. Waterdog is very close and we have the best LBS at our door in PTB.

If only there was a hunting season on the damn geese...

·
I rot before I ripen
549 Posts
The fog isn't that bad, especially if you live in Linda Mar. The surf is good, the beach is nice, and it's a laid-back scene. In the summer, when East Bay is in the 80s, it's always 64.

There's some condos for sure, and I know rents for 1 bedroom were in the 1200s a year or two ago. Housing prices have dropped considerably in the last year (I know, cuz I bought one just before the bottom fell out). Not sure how rents are now.

If you ride FR/DH, you'll be very happy. And you'll be close to all the good AM, Santa Cruz is down the road, and SF is an easy 20 mins by car. The bike commute would be fun and challenging, but doable.

Pacifica rocks, just don't tell anyone.

damon

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.