Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Cyclist
493 Posts
It depends what you are looking for. NC is a big state and has a lot to offer in terms raising a family and getting outdoors.

If I could do it over, I would be sitting in Asheville right now.

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
How close to the trails is close? If its Pisgah and mountain riding you want, purely from a cost of living perspective you should look at the Greenville, SC part of North Carolina. :)

·
Auto-x addict
'04 Intense 5.5. Still going strong!
282 Posts
Greystreet said:
I love to ride. What places in North Carolina is the best place to raise a family and be close to nice trial rides. Thanks in advance.
My wife and I moved from LA to Charlotte ~1.5 yrs. ago. We are so happy that we did. Keep in mind that we never felt like we belonged in LA, what with all the people and traffic and crowding and everything, so, if you're okay with all of that then you might experience some culture shock.

Western NC has some of the best riding I've ever seen. I'd love to live in Asheville for the riding, but for work we need to be in CLT. We both took a ~20% pay cut, but, within 8-9 mos. my wife was almost back to what she made in LA, and I'm making more, and thats with maybe 25% lower cost of living!

Riding in CLT is okay. There are trails to ride here, but, they lack much of the excitement level that comes from the vertical that CA trails have. Pisgah is a 2 hr drive to get to the killer riding.

Most places in NC will be better for raising a family than SoCal. The larger cities will be less of a culture shock than more rural areas. My wife works in an office, and has never really been exposed to the stereotypical southern *******, I work in manufacturing though and that's all I see! :D

It's been the right move for us all around. I hope this helps with your decision some.

·
Custom User Title
241 Posts
I only spent 5 days there, and I have only made a handful of trips south of the 49th, and I have no intentions of leaving Canada, but if I were moving to the States, I would be heading straight to Asheville.

I have never enjoyed or been more comfortable in an American city before. Friendly, clean, hip and surrounded with beautiful terrain and outdoor opportunities.

Screw the cost of living and wages, you gotta be happy and enjoy yourself, right? otherwise what is the point? if you can afford a nice roof over your head, a few creature comforts and a kick butt bike in a place that allows you to ride year-round, who cares?

well that is my 2 cents worth from a smitten Canadian. (who will be on his trainer & skiis for the next 4 months)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ashville huh....will take a look at it. I live close to trails, tech and single track stuff. Lots of areas to Bomb on. As long as I'm 45 to 1hr away then it should be fine. Thanks for all your input. I will be checking on homes over there. All I need is a modest home,my wife and my twin girls and as long as I keep my Nomad and my Superlight tuned and then I'm happy.

·
Southern Fried mUni
1,126 Posts
So many nice places to live in NC...but it all really depends on how much your job depends on you being near a bigger town. A lot of us live near and around Charlotte or Raleigh only because we have to for work...I think you would have trouble finding any of us that would object to living in the mountains if we could. I'd personally rather live outside of Asheville in the country...maybe out towards Old Fort/Black Mountain or maybe the outskirts of Hendersonville. But I'm an acreage junky....I commute 60 miles to/from Charlotte for work just so I live in the quiet countryside and have my own chunk of land.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
zod said:
So many nice places to live in NC...but it all really depends on how much your job depends on you being near a bigger town. A lot of us live near and around Charlotte or Raleigh only because we have to for work...I think you would have trouble finding any of us that would object to living in the mountains if we could. I'd personally rather live outside of Asheville in the country...maybe out towards Old Fort/Black Mountain or maybe the outskirts of Hendersonville. But I'm an acreage junky....I commute 60 miles to/from Charlotte for work just so I live in the quiet countryside and have my own chunk of land.
I guess the best thing is to rent an apratment and check the areas out before I buy a house. Hopefully I get a lot of equity and pay for almost all of the cost of the house so I can ride all day!!!! :D

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
Local Yokel $.02:
Establish some communication through bike related groups in the areas you are interested in moving to. I live next to a popular area and most of the for sale/rental houses in my neighborhood never make it to an MLS/classified - they get snatched up pretty quick by word of mouth.

Good luck!

·
Banned
2,100 Posts
yeah but bent creek is boring

M-U-M said:
Local Yokel $.02:
Establish some communication through bike related groups in the areas you are interested in moving to. I live next to a popular area and most of the for sale/rental houses in my neighborhood never make it to an MLS/classified - they get snatched up pretty quick by word of mouth.

Good luck!
he's gotta move close to pisgah, thats the place to be.

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
"Pisgah Forest" encompasses a varied selection of National Forest lands in Western North Carolina, but the common reference you see here mainly refers to the Asheville/Hendersonville/Brevard regions. Your inquiry has been posted many times on this forum, so you could probably glean a lot of information by using the search function. Type in city names, Pisgah, Tsali, moving, jobs, vacation, etc.

Another great search option:

http://www.mtbikewnc.com/

http://www.blueridgebicycleclub.org/dealers.html

http://www.google.com :cool:

·
Registered
66 Posts
hey bro!

if you're thinkin about the Raleigh area , take a look at trianglemtb.com, this site will give ya an idea of the trails we have here in the triangle (Raleigh,Durham, Chapel Hill) area......oh and also my wife is a real estate agent and would be glad to help you out if you come over this way....Good Luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.