Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well recently I have been looking alot at hardtail bikes mostly because I would love to start doing some more urban freeride type riding as well.
I cant afford to have two complete bikes and since I am a college student I dont really have the room for two bikes anyway.
currently I ride a giant AC. Sure it isnt the best bike in the world, but it has treated me well and I feel I have a decent build (xt cranks, full sram drivetrain, manitou minute 3's just to give a rough idea).
I'm just wondering, if I purchased a nice hardtail freeride style frame and put the componenets from my giant on it, would it make a nice all around bike capable of some light urban freeride as well as some serious trails. As far as the type of trail riding I do, I love rocky technical stuff. I am a gravity junky but at the same time I love technical, rocky, rooty ascents as well.

Keep in mind though, I have never ridden a hard tail on the trail before though I did ride alot of freestyle bmx on a fully rigid 20 incher for about 6 years in middle school/high school before getting into mountain biking.
If I decide to do this am I going to hate myself in the end?

What bikes would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
9,335 Posts
pedro_sandchez said:
Well recently I have been looking alot at hardtail bikes mostly because I would love to start doing some more urban freeride type riding as well.
I cant afford to have two complete bikes and since I am a college student I dont really have the room for two bikes anyway.
currently I ride a giant AC. Sure it isnt the best bike in the world, but it has treated me well and I feel I have a decent build (xt cranks, full sram drivetrain, manitou minute 3's just to give a rough idea).
I'm just wondering, if I purchased a nice hardtail freeride style frame and put the componenets from my giant on it, would it make a nice all around bike capable of some light urban freeride as well as some serious trails. As far as the type of trail riding I do, I love rocky technical stuff. I am a gravity junky but at the same time I love technical, rocky, rooty ascents as well.

Keep in mind though, I have never ridden a hard tail on the trail before though I did ride alot of freestyle bmx on a fully rigid 20 incher for about 6 years in middle school/high school before getting into mountain biking.
If I decide to do this am I going to hate myself in the end?

What bikes would you guys recommend?
Before you invest in a hardtail rent one or loan one to test ride. I built up a hardtail for trail riding assuming I could sharpen my riding skills after riding a FS for years . I rode the HT a few times and absolutly hated it . My personal preferance was a FS and maybe a shorter travel would have been better than a HT for me.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
keen said:
rent one or loan one to test ride.
I like that idea. I have a toughish HT (Banshee Scirocco) and a big hit bike, and the Scirocco is definitely a keeper but the jury is still out on the AS-X.

·
1,247 Posts
I have a intense 6.6 and a sinister ridge, both equipped the same (sram, 36van / marz z1,
hadleys, 500g rims, 2.35 tires) so they can be ridden on all the same trails except the really gnarly downhill ones.

The intensen 6.6 is about 35 pounds, the ridge about 30, and if i had to keep one.. it would be the intense.HOWEVER, the ridge is super fun to ride after being on a full sussy all the time. And the 6.6 is super fun to ride after riding the hardtail for a while.

If you are drooling for a HT.. get it. it should keep you entertained in college until you get out, find a full time job and can afford 2 bikes. In the worst worst case, you can swap the parts back to your AC, and keep your HT around until you can afford to maintain 2 bikes :cool:

Personally I like boutique in-house built frames: Sinister ridge, Evil Sovereign, Chromag ...
unless you plan on ejecting a lot, then i'd go with something in the < $500 range so you don't cry everytime you smash the frame:
like Evil DOC, Transition vagrant,

·
Still a child inside...
844 Posts
yeah, take a HT out for a test-ride

to feel how is it to ride tech. sections on it.
I myself was sure, that FS the only way, now i sold mine
and bought a HT!
- No bobbing
- Lighter
- More control

:cool: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
77 Posts
To each his own. It's nice having both HT and FS, depending on the type of riding you'll be doing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A hardtail is going to make you a better rider in the long run. It will probably take you some time to adjust to it since you had a suspension in the rear, but once you get used to it, there is no looking back!! way less maintence then a fully, i can keep up with my friends on their duallys on some sicc single track up in angeles crest no problem. sure you can find some really nice dual suspensions with a stable platform that will feel better through rougher terrain, but you are going to have to drop some cheese for some of those. you can get a descent frame from 300 to maybe a chameleon for around 500. but the less you spend on your frame, the more you can upgrade your componentry. remember!! its not the bike, its the rider!!! good luck!!

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Well, a stable is really the way to go. :D But if I only got to have one bike, I'd keep my SS. Haro Escape with a 36. It's by far the cheapest of my bikes that I ride with any regularity, but it's an absolute blast to ride. I'd try out a HT, and see how it goes. If you like it, buy one.

And yeah, I'd bet the parts from your AC would transfer over pretty well. You'd need a new headset, maybe front dereilleur and seatpost, but for the most part it'll work fine.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
If you get a HT make sure you get some shin guards and use them. HT are known for sliping pedals especially in urban and drops. HT's are the ticket for Collage because of all the urban around you and their cheap. But there will be a learing curve from your FS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts