Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if someone can tell me in general terms what I could expect from this switch. I have the HFX-9s on my 03 Big Sur and I like them fairly well. I need to replace one of the master cylinders so I'm looking around at other brake options. This is my first set of disc brakes so far, and I've learned how to center the calipers, bleed them, etc. I don't really have anything to compare them against except rim brakes.

I do some XC racing and could be accused of being a weight weenie ;) so I guess I should consider the Mono Minis too (?).

Sorry if these are common questions - I don't spend much time in the Brake forum.

·
I want that one
1,036 Posts
in my experience the juicys are a much stronger with better modulation and excellent agronomics compared to the older hayes (dont know about the newer el caminos), with very similar setup. i loved them but had issues with pad rubbing and noise (as i did with the hfx 9's before), but generally speaking if you liked hayes youll love juicy's.

·
SALLGUD
449 Posts
Hayes to J7

I went from Hayes Mags and Hayes HFX9 XC (two different bikes) to Juicy 7s and am very satisfied with the swap. The Hayes and Avids both share a wicked stopping ability, but the Avids do indeed have better modulation and their levers fit my hand better.

I have found the Avids to squall like mad after running through a stream or ditch and getting wet, but they go back to silent within several stops.

My wife's Yeti is running Avid J7 and her's exhibited the infamous turkey gobble/warbling sounds while stopping slowly, so I put standard round rotors on her bike. Problem solved. My J7 brakes (came std on an '06 SJ FSR Expert) are silent.

Michael

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
I went from Hayes 9 HD to Juicy 7's and basically will never ever go back to Hayes. Juicy's are powerfull, consistant and worry free. They have good modulation, lots of adjustability, are light, and appear easy to work with. If you want the best brake out there, get the Juicy 7's. I would easily purchase the Juicy 5's as well. The contact adjuster is rarely used by me, but it will come in handy down the road.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Recent swap from Hayes Mags to Juicy 5's

I just switched from Hayes Mags to juicy 5's I was running 203mm rotors on the Hayes and switched to the Juicy 5's with 185mm rotors. I really have not seen much of a difference in stopping power but have not done any serious downhill runs yet. I may end up putting a 203mm rotor in the front as time goes by. I have them on my Heckler. Installation and setup couldn't have been easier. Much easier than with the Hayes. I love the tri-align caliper mounting feature. The ergonomics of the levers is pretty awesome too. They really are much more comfortable to use than the Hayes levers. As far as modulation goes, the Avids are amazing. I never realized how much modulation control I lacked in the Hayes until getting the Avids. I chose the Juicy 5's because they are basically the same as the Juicy 7's without the pad adjustment dial. I like to keep it simple and in my opinion, that is just one less thing to worry about breaking and I really don't see it as something I would use very often. TThe 5's are also considerably less expensive. You can find some incredible deals on the Avids right now too. So, I am super stoked on the Juicy 5's. They look great and have to be a good bit lighter than the Hayes brakes I had. The mounting brackets alone are probably a third the weight of the Hayes. I know you will be happy with them.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Wow..... I am the exact opposite of the popular opinion.

I had a GF Cake3 with Hayes HFX-9's. Love the brakes but hated everything else so I started looking at a Spec Stumpjumper.

I test rode a Stumpy Comp with Juicy5's and a base Stumpy with BB7's.
--- Test ride with Juicy5's was not good. Modulation? yeah it's there and LOTS of it. It requires much more hand effort to stop and only grabbing the brakes really hard caused them to lock up. Braking performance 7 out of 10.
--- Purchased the base Stumpy with BB7's. Same performance as the Juicy's. Not good IMO. Hand effort is more than the Juicy's. After some miles with them they were Ok but I wouldn't try ANY downhill sections with them. 6 out of 10.
--- LBS agreed to order me Hayes HFX-9's. Grab the handle and feel engagement immediately. Short modulation but a feature I am familiar with. Reduced hand effort. The brakes "feel" MUCH stronger than the Avid's. Setup is an absolute beast though. 20 minutes+ trying to get disc rub eliminated. Once finalized these things are a blast. Downhill sections are fun and I have my confidence again. 9 out of 10.

Now my weight and height could be an issue (200# and 6'2") but I noticed pushing the bike around that to tilt the bike on the front wheel required much more effort to lock the wheel than with the Hayes.

BTW, both sets of Avids had a 185mm rotor up front. My Hayes only have 160mm rotors. At the LBS, I saw several Juicy's leaking around the handles.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lumbee1 said:
Wow..... I am the exact opposite of the popular opinion.

I had a GF Cake3 with Hayes HFX-9's. Love the brakes but hated everything else so I started looking at a Spec Stumpjumper.

I test rode a Stumpy Comp with Juicy5's and a base Stumpy with BB7's.
--- Test ride with Juicy5's was not good. Modulation? yeah it's there and LOTS of it. It requires much more hand effort to stop and only grabbing the brakes really hard caused them to lock up. Braking performance 7 out of 10.
--- Purchased the base Stumpy with BB7's. Same performance as the Juicy's. Not good IMO. Hand effort is more than the Juicy's. After some miles with them they were Ok but I wouldn't try ANY downhill sections with them. 6 out of 10.
--- LBS agreed to order me Hayes HFX-9's. Grab the handle and feel engagement immediately. Short modulation but a feature I am familiar with. Reduced hand effort. The brakes "feel" MUCH stronger than the Avid's. Setup is an absolute beast though. 20 minutes+ trying to get disc rub eliminated. Once finalized these things are a blast. Downhill sections are fun and I have my confidence again. 9 out of 10.

Now my weight and height could be an issue (200# and 6'2") but I noticed pushing the bike around that to tilt the bike on the front wheel required much more effort to lock the wheel than with the Hayes.

BTW, both sets of Avids had a 185mm rotor up front. My Hayes only have 160mm rotors. At the LBS, I saw several Juicy's leaking around the handles.
It sounds like you feel the same way about the HFX-9s as I do. I've put in my time to learn their idiosyncracies and actually am happy with the performance, but I've also never tried any other disc brakes. I've decided to stick with the HFX-9s on my current bike.

Thanks for all the comments from everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.