Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the thought of ditching my ENO eccentric, and just buying a normal hub and a tensioner. Yeah, I know I should've just bought a frame with sliding dropouts. :rolleyes:

Why would I want to get a tensioner? I have to take my wheel out often, for transport. Getting the chain tension right is a pain with the ENO. Plus, the only gear my frame plus the ENO allow is 32:16; everything else usefull will require half links. Even though my chain isn't anywhere near worn, I'm close to the end of the adjustment reach of the ENO.

Should I just give up and buy a tensioner? An accentric hub is such a clean solution, but I've got the feeling it isn't a solution for every frame. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Lots of people will balk at this because they worship the eno but the fact of the matter is it's still only one of many solutions to the vertical dropout problem. It's a bodge like a tensioner is a bodge, and the tensioner wins on many counts except aesthetics. Do it, and keep the eno (you can replace the axle with a non-eccentric one if you switch to horizontal dropouts or you can swap the ends for 130 and use it on a road bike) for later. Or change the axle out now, keep your wheel intact, and use the tensioner.

- Joel

·
Registered
87 Posts
Dont !

I would definately give the ENO some more time getting used to.

Saying goodbye to ENO means saying hello to chainslap and extra
moving parts, i wouldn't trade my ENOs for anything in the world now.

·
Banned
607 Posts
Why not just buy some half links and keep the eno? Seems like that would be the most economical solution.......once the chain length is within the range of the eno's capacity, it doesn't seem to be that hard to tension the chain......gravity seems to do most of the work.........( shoulders shrugged) I uhh know, but tensioners are a whole new set of challenges that may require you to use half links too.....especially if you want to run your tensioner in the (preferred) push up (underwire bra) configuration.

A half link was required in the photo below.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
eric said:
I've had the thought of ditching my ENO eccentric, and just buying a normal hub and a tensioner. Yeah, I know I should've just bought a frame with sliding dropouts. :rolleyes:

Why would I want to get a tensioner? I have to take my wheel out often, for transport. Getting the chain tension right is a pain with the ENO. Plus, the only gear my frame plus the ENO allow is 32:16; everything else usefull will require half links. Even though my chain isn't anywhere near worn, I'm close to the end of the adjustment reach of the ENO.

Should I just give up and buy a tensioner? An accentric hub is such a clean solution, but I've got the feeling it isn't a solution for every frame. Any thoughts?
(1) The ENO allows 15mm of adjustment, you need only 12mm to handle any gear setup without a half-link.
(2) So your brakes or chainstays don't allow the ENO to adjust enough?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Fresh chain, half link, and try some more. Cheapest (apart from cheap ass tensioner or ghost ring) way to a whole new gear ratio range, I would assume from your post. Treat yourself to a Rohloff chain for better stretch and wear rates (I'm too cheap for that myself).

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Biggest mistake I made was selling my ENO. I stopped using it when I got an SS specific frame. Now I want to build the old one back up and I am looking for a new one. On second thought, they suck. I will help you get rid of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
get a 1/2 link.

used a surly tensioner never could get it right.(always skiped when under heavy/mashing load.). got a 1/2 link (they make one for a 3/32)at my local bs. no problems at all. no skip no ugly tensioner. little more slack than i would like but works great.besides i'm tough on any thing i ride.
g

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is lots of food for thought

Thanks for the ideas, everybody.

The frame indeed does not allow for much adjustment of the ENO. My left-side dropout is hollow. I can run the ENO only one way (turned up & counterclockwise) - otherwise the axle just sticks out behind my dropout. With 32:16 gearing the ENO tensions properly at about 15 degree from horizontal, and my chain is relatively new.

I tried putting 36:18 gearing on last week (I killed my 32t ring), and because of the reduced chain angle from chainring to cog, the ENO has to be turned beyond vertical.

I will think about this a bit, and see if I can't find a half link and a good 4-arm chainring.

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any recommendations on a 4-arm ring?

I'm pondering the following:

- running my ENO with a 16t freewheel
- getting an 1/8" chain w/ a couple of half links just in case
- using a 32t and 36t ring, the 36t being for the odd race.......

The 4t difference should mean I'd have to add two links to the chain to get within the tensioning range of the ENO. All I need now is a 32t, 4-arm ring that is happy with a 1/8" chain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.