Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Shimano XT dual action shifters and I'm not sure I want to stay with them. The action is inconsistent. Sometimes I have to press really hard to get any corresponding derailleur movement. Sometimes not. Sometimes I'll hear indexing and still not get shifts out of it.

So, I don't think I can afford to get all new stuff. I've heard that if I want to go SRAM XO I'd have to completely change out everything. Is there a way to just do the shifters? Do you think a new XT derailleur would help?

Thanks.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
It's likely the rear shift cables, especially the piece between the frame and swingarm. You do want to stay with a rapid rise rear derailleur to keep the shift direction the same, but a new XTR Rapid rise rear derailleur would shift a bit lighter than the XT. The DC shift/brake pods may be wearing out as well.

There's nothing compatible about SRAM X-0 and the Shimano rear derailleur so it's an all or nothing move to SRAM. If you were going to separate shifters I'd go with the new XTR, the multiple up and down shifts blow the X-0 into the weeds and are worth every penny for that alone.

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
If you want to change the shifters, youll have to get a new brake lever unit too... Well, it would be possible to brake without it, but with no tension in the cable it would flop around uncontrollably.

The Rapidrise mech will shift just fine with a normal shimano shifter (XT or XTR two-way release is well worth the extra money btw), but it will shift the opposite way to a conventional mech (the levers will do the opposite of what theyd do with a standard mech, so the thumb shifts up, and the finger/2nd-thumb shifts down)

It might be worth re-indexing the mech/shifters that you have now to see if its any better when its properly done.

Also (If i remember right), because the mech shifts the other way, cable tension is set the other way (ie, start in the easiest gear, and adjust tension to upshift).

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have the dual action on my 05 ETSX also.
I love the rapid rise and I also love the speed with which you can flip (up) through gears, especially when you are climbing...
But I have found that it is hard to keep them dialed in and working nicely.

I recently swapped out the left shifter for a Sram twister. I *love* being able to trim the front.

Note to Sram/Shimano: Make a 5 indexed rapid fire shifter for the front so that you can trim the front der. Use 1-3-5 for each ring. Use 2-4 to trim the front depending on which cog you're on in back. There, I just gave away a million dollar idea for free!

ht

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Get some descent sealed Gore cables and get the shop to go over the shifters and RD to see if they can do anything for them.:thumbsup:

Note to Rocky: I like the new XTR's but from the description of the problem I think the more positive shift of the new XT would be better.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
I've got the XTR shifters and separate XTR brake levers on my ETSX, I love the combo. I've never been a big fan of the DC's when I tried them out, but then I haven't had a lot of time to adjust to them on those demo rides. The multi upshift is the mutt's nuts. I use the multi gear upshift more often than the multi gear downshift. I almost always upshift 2-3 gears at a shot (a hold over habit from 7 speed thumbies), 9 speed gears are so tediously close together under acceleration. This is what drove me nuts about the X-0, it was so tedious to clickclickclickclick up through the gears.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Hmm, I wasn't saying they aren't the best, I mean he's having inconsistent shifting and individual XT shifters have a stronger more positive shift so would be more consistent than LX or XTR and DC's are just plain awful anyway IMO.:)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rockyuphill said:
I've got the XTR shifters and separate XTR brake levers on my ETSX, I love the combo. I've never been a big fan of the DC's when I tried them out, but then I haven't had a lot of time to adjust to them on those demo rides. The multi upshift is the mutt's nuts. I use the multi gear upshift more often than the multi gear downshift. I almost always upshift 2-3 gears at a shot (a hold over habit from 7 speed thumbies), 9 speed gears are so tediously close together under acceleration. This is what drove me nuts about the X-0, it was so tedious to clickclickclickclick up through the gears.
I think that's where I'm coming from. Had a Bridgestone w/ top levers back in the 90s. So you're saying I have rapid rise? I would like them to work in reverse so that I can dump a bunch of gears into easier mode. What derailleaur would I have to get for that?

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
Depends how you want to do it.

If you say Shimano shifters are a given (go for XT or XTR with Two-Way Release).

The thumb trigger will be the one that pulls the cable (the one that feels harder to push) and the finger/thumb trigger will be the one that lets it go.

With two-way release, the finger/thumb trigger can be pushed either way - hence the name - meaning you can push it with thumb then finger (or V.V.) to get a rapid change of two gears.

Ok, shifters defined...

With a rapidrise mech, the thumb shifter will be to move you into a higher gear (increasing cable tension gives you a higher gear), and the F/T trigger will move you into a lower gear.
Think of a rapidrise mech to shifter interface as the same as the normal front mech (the thumb moves up the gears, and the finger/thumb moves down them) - the equivalent trigger moves up and down - rather than with a conventional mech where the lever functions are opposite

With a regular/conventional mech - the thumb will lead into lower gears while the finger leads to higher ones.

"I would like them to work in reverse so that I can dump a bunch of gears into easier mode"
If by that you mean you want to dump it into easier gears with ONE push of the trigger, you want a conventional mech. If you want to move into easier gears with less effort (by releasing the cable) then you want the rapidrise.

Sorry, Im having trouble making this easy to understand. Does it make ANY sense to you?

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
The XTR trigger shifters have multi-gear up and down shift, that sets them apart from the cheaper XT's which only have the multi-downshift (with high normal derailleurs).

If you went with XT shifters and a rapid rise RD (the rapid rise is the normal match to dual control shifters), you'd have multi-gear upshifts and single gear downshifts.

The XTR with the high normal RD (not rapid rise) still gives you multi-gear up and down. You get 3 gears on downshifts and 2 gears in one push on upshifts. And if you don't push the triggers all the way, you can still get one gear at a time up and down shifts, but with instant release they happen very fast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.