Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading - great bike but it’ll break ..

True?

I’m 6” 4”-5 230 ish ... how’s the reach on that 4.5? , 5.5 and 100?

How does the rear sus matchup vs SC ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Just trying to get some feedback from bigger riders

XL in the 4.5 or 5.5 will be fine. Not sure I'd recommend the SB100 at your weight and you'd likely be unhappy with rear end feel since your a Heavy rider.

Santa Cruz bikes aren't even in the same league regarding pedal efficiency especially since you'll never need to use a shock lockout on any Yeti so you'll keep better traction.

The SB4.5 and 5.5 had very few issues regarding frame failures unless the rider wrecked his bike which would likely break any carbon bike.

The newer frames have definitely had more issues just by what's been posted here so if your at all interested in those I'd recommend just buying something else and not deal with what ifs.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
Don’t have a yeti, very much considered getting one, they might be great, have seen some of posts about rear triangles on newer models failing though. I’m a bigger dude beating **** out of a Santa Cruz Bronson and I don’t even think twice about it. If/when it fails, I know SC customer service has my back and won’t make it a hassle. Friends of mine can’t say the same for yeti, and that in part turned me off to purchasing one. The last thing I want in the back of my mind while riding is worrying about whether the bike can handle my 210-220ish lb riding weight or what will happen if I break it while riding it with reckless abandon... I like they way Yeti’s climb, but can’t say I like the way they break ;)

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Also have a few different friends exactly your size that have both owned the 4.5 and 5.5 and are very happy. Dagonger is 6’3” 225 and rides an XL4.5 and another is 6’3” and 235 and just sold his 5.5 to get a SB150 and had no issues in 3 years

·
No Clue Crew
7,593 Posts
I’m 180 and could flex the heck out of the 4.5 I owned. Any modern VPP3 bike from Santa Cruz will pedal just as well as its Yeti counterpart.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Great replies ! Thx

The reach on both the size XL 4.5 and 5.5 are plenty roomy especially considering the rather slack Seat tube angles both those bikes have. If you look at the ETT measurements they fall inline with lots of similar bikes for size. The one drawback is the seat tube lengths are rather long but if your inseam is long it's not a problem.

All the newer generation bikes usually have STA at a minimum of 74.5-78 degrees unless your talking about short travel bikes which don't benefit much from the steeper STA. The SB4.5 is perfect with the seat tube angle it has at sag but the SB5.5 suffers a bit being a longer travel bike with different intentions.

I'm 210 geared up and I didn't have any issues whatsoever on either my 4.5 or 5.5 regarding rear end flex.

The newer bikes are a different story

Reactions: TheNatureBoy

·
Demon Cleaner
783 Posts
I’m only a little over 6” on an XL SB4.5 and wouldn’t want anything smaller. If I was a few inches taller I would look for an XL SB130 for the extra reach. At 180 I also feel some rear end flex but only when stationary on the bike and twisting. At speed it’s a carbon dart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Obviously, as with any other bike, you should try and demo any bike you can but all that being said, it's really hard to buy a bad bike from a major player nowadays. I've had two Yetis (both SB5C's) and I haven't had a single issue. I've had (4) Santa Cruz' in the past and never had a single issue and I currently have (2) Intense bikes and yet again, have never had an issue.

I was slightly thinking about looking into the new SB130 but aside from several frame failures I've read about (and seen photos of), what concerns me more is the number of people that are having issues running a 2.5 tire on what is supposed to be an Enduro bike. Some people have no issues, some have some rubbing and re-dish their wheel (ridiculous) and still others have clearance issues so bad they can't run a 2.5 at all. That to me means quality control regarding the clearance issues is sub-par and Yeti HQ is refusing to admit they screwed the pooch. If that gets taken care of next year, I'll re-evaluate my options.

If I were you (the OP) and really wanted a Yeti, I'd go with a 5.5 which seems available all over because people are dumping them to go to the SB130 & SB150.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
I was slightly thinking about looking into the new SB130 but aside from several frame failures I've read about (and seen photos of), what concerns me more is the number of people that are having issues running a 2.5 tire on what is supposed to be an Enduro bike. Some people have no issues, some have some rubbing and re-dish their wheel (ridiculous) and still others have clearance issues so bad they can't run a 2.5 at all. That to me means quality control regarding the clearance issues is sub-par and Yeti HQ is refusing to admit they screwed the pooch. If that gets taken care of next year, I'll re-evaluate my options.
Yeah Yeti has a real problem on their hands because when you state on your web page for whatever said bike that some brand 2.5" tires will fit fine without issue and basically everyone thats ran a 2.5" tire from any brand manufactured has had rub marks on the inner chain stays that becomes false advertising in my book and they continue to avoid just admitting that a 2.4" tire is safely the max size and bite the bullet so then the consumer can decide whether they want to invest in that brand bike is what should have happened and instead it's pissing people off who voice their complaints.

I've been running 2.4" tires on both my SB130 and SB150 with no issues using Carbon wheels and I'm fine with that size and for me I've had no desire to run wider but like anything else thats a limiting factor and just because I'm fine with that doesn't mean anyone else agrees.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
A perfect example is a brand like Transition which also has limited rear tire clearance on most of the SBG models and they clearly state this on all the info pages so you know exactly whats good 2 go and whats not. I believe on the Smuggler it's a 2.35" and a 2.4" on the Sentinel

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Also have a few different friends exactly your size that have both owned the 4.5 and 5.5 and are very happy. Dagonger is 6'3" 225 and rides an XL4.5 and another is 6'3" and 235 and just sold his 5.5 to get a SB150 and had no issues in 3 years
Correction..I am 6'4 215lbs no gear. Owned sb45c,sb6c,sb150 all in. XL and not a single issue with any...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Obviously, as with any other bike, you should try and demo any bike you can but all that being said, it's really hard to buy a bad bike from a major player nowadays. I've had two Yetis (both SB5C's) and I haven't had a single issue. I've had (4) Santa Cruz' in the past and never had a single issue and I currently have (2) Intense bikes and yet again, have never had an issue.

If I were you (the OP) and really wanted a Yeti, I'd go with a 5.5 which seems available all over because people are dumping them to go to the SB130 & SB150.
So 5.5 > 4.5 ? I'm looking for an XL - I can get an 4.5 used or new ...

Also considering xxl SCHT

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
What's your take on 114 suspension on the Sb 4.5?

That bike suprised me in its capabilities. It wasn't too far off my pr times done on my coiled sb6c..

114mm travel like any other SI feels like more and bottomless. It does have a more "sporty" feel than a longer travel bike being more plush.

My sb45c was built up specifically with a monarch debonair plus shock that uses Vorsprung reactive tuning. I did this because our weight isnt right for the stock shock. The piggy back shock gives better performance and custom tone helps keep psi,sag, hsc and rebound in a usable range being heavier. I use only 1 band in it and could probably go to zero with out harsh bottom out....

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm 6 3 185 ish lbs and have a Xl 4.5 its the best do it all bike yeti has ever made IMO, I also have the 150. I did swap the rear as the stock trail tune on the rear shock would bottom out and the smallest of features. I also have the 2nd to largest spacer in the rear shock.

The bike punches way above the numbers I have ridden it on plenty of rough enduro style tracks where people are riding dual crown DH bikes.
Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Attachments

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm 6 3 185 ish lbs and have a Xl 4.5 its the best do it all bike yeti has ever made IMO, I also have the 150. I did swap the rear as the stock trail tune on the rear shock would bottom out and the smallest of features. I also have the 2nd to largest spacer in the rear shock.

The bike punches way above the numbers I have ridden it on plenty of rough enduro style tracks where people are riding dual crown DH bikes.
View attachment 1249862
So you can upgraded the rear shock ? What does adding that spacer do?
I'm not techy w bikes - I ride them but I can't fix them lol

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I’d say demo. My limited time on the 4.5 was excellent....except the reach. At 6’4 with long arms, I felt cramped. When I hopped on a Smuggler, it felt like it was made for someone my size.

I’ve said it a thousand times: I wish Yeti made something between the 100 and 130....a 4.5 w/ new geo. I’m gonna try the new Ripley....and, hopefully SC comes with a revised TB4 soon.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.