Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a tracer solely because it looks awesome, then I read the reviews about it and it's all positive. I'm asking if anyone has had any troubles with this frame or any bad reviews about it. I currently ride a trance x3 and wanting to upgrade to a better frame. Please advise. Thanks

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Don't buy it because it looks awesome, buy one because it rides awesome. I love, love, love my Tracer. In fact, it's probably top 3 favorite bike I've ever owned (and being a shop owner, I've had plenty of bikes). The Tracer VP is extremely versatile and rides quite well. The Tracer VP definitely bumped up my riding a notch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the problem, I don't know anyone with a tracer for me to try. Is it really that great over other frames. What makes it special/better? Does any know the weight difference between a trance x small and a tracer small?

·
Registered
163 Posts
believe me man, you will love the tracer. it's the best versatile bike out there. it's fun to ride, you can climb every hill with that rig, it's like a trek remedy but a lot better in performance.
a friend of mine tried out mine and he is dreaming now of buying also a tracer....you will love it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sounds like my mind is almost made up for the tracer, just waiting for my LBS to come back with a price. Cant wait to own one and build it up. What sort of headset does it use? integrated/semi?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Do yourself a favor and ask ignazjr to quote you a price too. He is a LBS to me here in Colorado and was great to work with when I had to warranty the rear end on my Tracer. Good service and probably a good price.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ignazjr said:
Its a 1.5" hs. You can use internal or externalon the cups. What fork are you using and how slack do you like your head angle?
I'm thinking of using a fox 32 f150, I like technical tracks so how much slack should I have? Could you pm me price for a small 2010 frame in a white shipped to Australia? Thanks

·
Delirious Tuck
2,471 Posts
Smoothaz, for max versatility I'd recommend a Fox TALAS 36. You can adjust the HTA and travel and the fork is still relatively light.

I'm about 120kgs and the 36 TALAS has been stiff enough for 6' drops with full travel and with the travel adjust versatile enough to lower the front end for a more "XC-ish" geometry in all day and big climb rides. It makes a difference and has held up exceedingly well to my abuse, as has the frame.

I've never felt the need to run the 6" travel, 5.5" seems perfect, bike climbs like a champ as well.

I think barring full on FR/DH I'm pretty comfortable running the Tracer on any kind of ride, cross-stuntery through 4-6 hours pedaling.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
smoothaz said:
I'm thinking of using a fox 32 f150, I like technical tracks so how much slack should I have? Could you pm me price for a small 2010 frame in a white shipped to Australia? Thanks
I would go with a 160mm fork. Head angle will be around 67.5° It can still be built under 30lbs. Good stuff for a versatile trail bike IMO.

·
Registered
148 Posts
smoothaz said:
sounds like my mind is almost made up for the tracer, just waiting for my LBS to come back with a price. Cant wait to own one and build it up. What sort of headset does it use? integrated/semi?
If you haven't bought your bike yet, check out Dave from RedStone Cyclery. (http://www.redstonecyclery.com). He can work out a nice price - I got mine from him last year.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.