Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike will be a race bike either way, so that might have some influence on the decision. The bike will probably be my only SS until I break it. It has to be a Kona! No other choices! The first bike I’m thinking of is already built. Kona Unit it’s done, ready to ride and not a lot of money! Updates hubs, rims shock, brakes to the bike as I feel necessary. The other is the new scandium Kula primo frame. It will have crossmax wheels, which I have an extra set of, Hayes elcamino (SP?) hydro/disc brakes, race face cranks. Some light weight shock. Fox or SID and etc…

What do you think? Should I go original raw SS or build the hardcore race bike!

·
stop...safety first
257 Posts
Matrix decision

I'd relate your decision to the Movie "the Matrix"
IF you choose the blue pill(gears) your world will remain as you know it and everything will be fine.
If you choose the red pill(SS) it will wake you up from a geared reality. And levels of personal suffering will increase. But you will be glad.
There is no unchoosing.
I believe they refer to Nemo as THE ONE too.

As far as racing goes...I've only raced SS so I cant compare.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
a nice chunk of MY OPINION

i find that racing is (gasp) better on the 27 speed trek, but i find i don't want to ride the trek. the ss is lying broken in the basement and i haven't been out for a week (the weather has been crappy, but...). the ss is so much more fun, even possibly quicker than the trek at *most* times, but not as nice for racing. EDIT: your post makes no sense... would the kula(?) be a ss, or are you debating between a ss and a 27?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the Kula will be a SS too. what about the explosive frame? I really want something light weight. my other race bike is a Kona "The King" and weighs 24lbs don't want a SS that weighs 23-24lbs. I like that idea of having widder rear end for hub spacing so I can use the other crossmax rim set I have.

·
Professional lurker
218 Posts
RideOrDieDan said:
the Kula will be a SS too. what about the explosive frame? I really want something light weight. my other race bike is a Kona "The King" and weighs 24lbs don't want a SS that weighs 23-24lbs. I like that idea of having widder rear end for hub spacing so I can use the other crossmax rim set I have.
Dan, you're just going to crash it anyway.

I'd say go with the Unit, upgrade as you break stuff or have extra cash hanging around that your significant other doesn't have earmarked for her bikes...

Although the weights will be similar, the SS will have a more efficient transmision. It'll feel lighter by default. I"m pretty sure the rear spacing for both is 135mm.

...and what will it matter when you wrap it around a tree?

·
Registered
511 Posts
RideOrDieDan said:
Hey! I stayed up-right the entire weekend at Custer! I think I'l get the Unit!
I'm a big fan of the Unit. Plus it has plenty of room to feed upgradeitus with bling components.

However now I feel like I need a Ti-frame to match the bling components I put on my Unit. oh well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts