Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm one of the people getting nowhere waiting for my 2014 Norco Range Carbon and I'm thinking about making a change to a 770 MSL Rally Edition (going to a RM demo day tomorrow). Anyone here ride the Rally Edition - any opinions, good, bad, subjective, I'll take them all?

Cheers - Steve

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
I have a '13 770 MSL that I spec'ed very similar to the Rally Edition (finished the bike a week before the Rally Edition was announced ;-)): wider bar, shorter stem, DH rims and a 160 mm fork.

I'm really happy with the bike, even though it's total overkill on the local trails. I've raced a couple of enduros on it, plus two weeks of shuttling in the Alps, and so far it's been confidence inspiring to the point I need to really improve my skills. Even though it's not super light (13.5 kg according to my cheap scales) and a big bike (I came straight from 26" wheels...) it is nimble enough to blast through really tight or technical sections of trail, yet stable enough for the high speed work and G-outs. Above all it's been a great allrounder, to be honest.

The CTD Remote shock is not really my cup of tea, so I'm getting a Float X (without remote) to replace it. The rear end creaked a bit when new, and the plastic ferrule for the downtube internal cable routing is cracked, but otherwise the bike has been great.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a bunch for the info. I'm o.k. with the weight - I'm coming from an old school 40.5lb 2002 Norco VPS. Great to know about how it handles on the trails - thanks for that; and a great all-rounder, exactly what I was after.

Heard back from the LBS tonight that the planned change to add a Oneup 42t on the rear and a 32t on the front will work so it should make the 770 a bit friendlier on the hills around here.

Thanks again for the info.

I have a '13 770 MSL that I spec'ed very similar to the Rally Edition (finished the bike a week before the Rally Edition was announced ;-)): wider bar, shorter stem, DH rims and a 160 mm fork.

I'm really happy with the bike, even though it's total overkill on the local trails. I've raced a couple of enduros on it, plus two weeks of shuttling in the Alps, and so far it's been confidence inspiring to the point I need to really improve my skills. Even though it's not super light (13.5 kg according to my cheap scales) and a big bike (I came straight from 26" wheels...) it is nimble enough to blast through really tight or technical sections of trail, yet stable enough for the high speed work and G-outs. Above all it's been a great allrounder, to be honest.

The CTD Remote shock is not really my cup of tea, so I'm getting a Float X (without remote) to replace it. The rear end creaked a bit when new, and the plastic ferrule for the downtube internal cable routing is cracked, but otherwise the bike has been great.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a 2014 770 MSL Rally Edition.

The bike is amazing in stock trim... but I couldn't help myself, and I've made lots of changes.

First thing I did was change the gearing - this is more a deficiency in me rather than the bike. I just don't have the legs to push that sort of 1x10 drive train.
Kept the cranks but fitted a Wolftooth NW ring. The rest of the drive train is XX1.

Switched the 50 mm stem out for a 70 mm one. Am in the process of sourcing a 60 mm one to hit the sweet spot.

Just fitted a 150 mm travel Rockshox Pike. The Fox fork was fine, but the pike is so so sweet. If I was regularly racing Enduros, I might have stuck with the longer 160 mm travel.

When my bike funds regenerate, a Raceface Next SL carbon crank will be next.

Will get around to posting some pics sometime... too damn busy riding the thing.

Cheers
Murray

·
Registered
221 Posts
The CTD Remote shock is not really my cup of tea, so I'm getting a Float X (without remote) to replace it.
The Float X shock on the Rally Edition is great. Each ride it seems to get smoother. Only negative is that it pretty much makes it impossible to use the water bottle cage.

I found the remote annoying at first, kept bumping it all the time and accidentally changing shock settings. I moved it further inboard, and rarely bump it now.

Cheers
Murray

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks; the gearing is one thing that I took a look at and it seems we've taken a similar approach. My LBS confirmed they could fit the Oneup 42t (which now conveniently ships with a 16t as well) and a 32t up front - that should sort the gearing out for me.

Pike is a nice change but I want the 160mm (I don't have the money to buy the bike and swap the Fox for a Pike); the Pike was one of the reasons I liked the Range Carbon 7.1.

Photos would be awesome.

I have a 2014 770 MSL Rally Edition.

The bike is amazing in stock trim... but I couldn't help myself, and I've made lots of changes.

First thing I did was change the gearing - this is more a deficiency in me rather than the bike. I just don't have the legs to push that sort of 1x10 drive train.
Kept the cranks but fitted a Wolftooth NW ring. The rest of the drive train is XX1.

Switched the 50 mm stem out for a 70 mm one. Am in the process of sourcing a 60 mm one to hit the sweet spot.

Just fitted a 150 mm travel Rockshox Pike. The Fox fork was fine, but the pike is so so sweet. If I was regularly racing Enduros, I might have stuck with the longer 160 mm travel.

When my bike funds regenerate, a Raceface Next SL carbon crank will be next.

Will get around to posting some pics sometime... too damn busy riding the thing.

Cheers
Murray

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip, and confirmation of the suspension quality!

The Float X shock on the Rally Edition is great. Each ride it seems to get smoother. Only negative is that it pretty much makes it impossible to use the water bottle cage.

I found the remote annoying at first, kept bumping it all the time and accidentally changing shock settings. I moved it further inboard, and rarely bump it now.

Cheers
Murray

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Demo day was awesome - tried L and XL 770 MSL and liked the XL better (I'm just a shade over 6' so I'd expect an L to fit better). The XL felt like a L Range (geometry numbers bear that out). Have got the LBS looking for an XL and adding a Oneup 42t on the cassette and a narrow/wide 32t up front. The 770 MSL climbed better than the Sight Carbon 7.1 I tried a few weeks back - simply loved riding it. Can't wait to get the Rally Edition. Thanks for all the tips and help all.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup - I picked it up on Saturday and have two rides on it so far. Pictures here: Rocky-Mountain Photo Album - Pinkbike. Had a Oneup 42t fitted and a Raceface 32t NW chainring (awesome combo for the terrain around here), AE03 pedals (boy they are thin) and a 70mm stem. So far I'm really happy - looking forward to ride #3 tomorrow night to try out some new suspension settings.

Did you get it yet?

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
Yup - I picked it up on Saturday and have two rides on it so far. Pictures here: Rocky-Mountain Photo Album - Pinkbike. Had a Oneup 42t fitted and a Raceface 32t NW chainring (awesome combo for the terrain around here), AE03 pedals (boy they are thin) and a 70mm stem. So far I'm really happy - looking forward to ride #3 tomorrow night to try out some new suspension settings.
The bike looks sweet, enjoy it!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I did a fun ride today with plenty of fast single track, jumps and drops. I cannot believe the way the Rockshox Pike has transformed this bike. I've always been a Fox fan, but the way this Pike eats up rough terrain so smoothly is amazing.

A Rockshox Pike should be on the shopping list of any Altitude owner.

Cheers
Murray

1 - 12 of 12 Posts