Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
TRANCER
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike has a DT Swiss 370 32 hole. Can I rebuild the wheel with an I9 Hydra hub ? If I need to change spokes can anyone tell me what length etc? The reason I want to do this is that the engagement on the 370 is awful. And money is kinda tight right now because I bought the new bike I want this hub for. I'll be using the same rims for now and then upgrade them piece by piece in time. But right now I'd like to just get the rear hub for the engagement. Any help is appreciated. P.S. the wheels are 29"

·
The Fastest of Bananas
1,792 Posts
My bike has a DT Swiss 370 32 hole. Can I rebuild the wheel with an I9 Hydra hub ? If I need to change spokes can anyone tell me what length etc? The reason I want to do this is that the engagement on the 370 is awful. And money is kinda tight right now because I bought the new bike I want this hub for. I'll be using the same rims for now and then upgrade them piece by piece in time. But right now I'd like to just get the rear hub for the engagement. Any help is appreciated. P.S. the wheels are 29"
What frame, what rim, what lacing pattern? What hubs size do you have now? Weight? Riding style?

It sounds to me like you should go to your LBS. They can get you going the right direction, and build the wheel.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
The Fastest of Bananas
1,792 Posts
What frame, what rim, what lacing pattern? What hubs size do you have now? Weight? Riding style?

It sounds to me like you should go to your LBS. They can get you going the right direction, and build the wheel.

Bottom line, yes.

However, it would be a shame to put all that money and work into a low end rim.

·
TRANCER
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2019 Santa Cruz Hightower CS build. 148 boost. Raceface AR 27 offset rims. Not great but like I said. I will be upgrading them soon. And I can do it piece by piece which is better for me right now.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,613 Posts
However, it would be a shame to put all that money and work into a low end rim.
Very true.

2019 Santa Cruz Hightower CS build. 148 boost. Raceface AR 27 offset rims. Not great but like I said. I will be upgrading them soon. And I can do it piece by piece which is better for me right now.
RF AR rims aren't what I'd consider low end, though. A solid alu rim option. With that said, I think you'll have a hard time selling a DT 370 hub by itself. And if you do, it won't be for much. I think you'll be able to get significantly more for it built as a complete wheel if you want to sell it off. Also worth considering, I bet you'd get more attention for a complete wheelset, too.

You WILL need new spokes for a rebuild, there's no question there. Besides, I bet your stock wheels don't use particularly fancy spokes, either.

IMO, if you're going to spring for hubs as nice as I9, you owe it to yourself to build them into a wheel that YOU want from the ground up, designed around your riding style and terrain.

IIRC, you can upgrade the ratchet mechanism in the DT 370's. I'd do that for the meantime (it will probably help the resale value of those wheels later, too) and then replenish the bank account for the wheel build that I want, rather than doing it piecemeal.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Did you check to see which star ratchets you have? You could maybe have the lower engagement 18pt, so upgrading to the 36 or 54pt would be an improvement. If you've already got the 54pt setup, then going to higher isn't something that's going to really help you with stuff you're not clearing, that's technique.

·
TRANCER
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you check to see which star ratchets you have? You could maybe have the lower engagement 18pt, so upgrading to the 36 or 54pt would be an improvement. If you've already got the 54pt setup, then going to higher isn't something that's going to really help you with stuff you're not clearing, that's technique.
It's the shitty pawl system. Not the star ratchet. Believe me, it's crappy as far as engagement goes. I rode a bike with 240's and its night and day. I definitely dont wanna upgrade them and I have been looking for a reason to try out the I9 hub. If I dont like it I can just sell the hub later on and didn't drop 1400- ??? on a wheelset. I'm not a noob when it comes to bikes, I am just working with brands I never played with before this time. But I know a little. 

·
TRANCER
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe not, flange diameter doesn't influence spoke length all that much. I've successfully used the same spokes with different hubs before, a quick spoke calc will tell for sure.
Thanks J.B. thanks for that reply. I was told I might be able to use the same spokes. If I have to buy new ones I have to buy new ones. Just thought I'd ask. Good to see some of you mtbr old timers are still around like you, Harold, and lynx btw. The past 4-5 years I've been busy as hell and haven't been on here as much as I'd like.

·
The Fastest of Bananas
1,792 Posts
Maybe not, flange diameter doesn't influence spoke length all that much. I've successfully used the same spokes with different hubs before, a quick spoke calc will tell for sure.
Flange spacing doesnt make much difference, but diameter can make spokes vary wildly

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Ah, sorry, mis-read, forgot they have those hubs as well. Sounds to me like you're looking to go i9 then, so once you can afford to, do it.

As others said, if the flanges are close, yes you could re-use your spokes, I've done it a load of times, just take a look at how the current wheel is built, are the nipples at the slot, above the slot or below the slot in the nipples, i.e. are they the correct length for those wheels, then once you check a spoke calc, you will know for sure if it's an easy swap, or maybe they would be 1mm short if the correct length, but they are already actually 1mm short, so might need longer nipples. Personally, I like my threads to come right up to the slot and above, never below, puts too much force on the head.

It's the shitty pawl system. Not the star ratchet. Believe me, it's crappy as far as engagement goes. I rode a bike with 240's and its night and day. I definitely dont wanna upgrade them and I have been looking for a reason to try out the I9 hub. If I dont like it I can just sell the hub later on and didn't drop 1400- ??? on a wheelset. I'm not a noob when it comes to bikes, I am just working with brands I never played with before this time. But I know a little. 

·
The Fastest of Bananas
1,792 Posts
Beat me to it.

Run the numbers if you don't believe it! If visually the hub flanges look close, that generally means you can reuse the spokes.

Factor in longer DT nipples for short spokes or squorx for longer, and you're covered.
Totally forgot about the crossed lacing. I guess it's mostly rim size.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You could always convert your 370 hub to the ratchet wheel style drive and put in a 54t, if you don't want to take apart the wheel or have to worry about changing spokes. I think it takes two tools to swap the drive rings and you have to buy the ratchets and freehub, but it is less of a pain to do.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
My bike has a DT Swiss 370 32 hole, Raceface AR 27 offset rims
These aren't exotic or interesting, but they're good hubs. Your rims are a pinned version of a good rim. You have good wheels that were built to a budget. IMO if you're complaining about these wheels it speaks more to a lack of skill/fitness/upgradeitis more than inadequacy of the parts. You have the shittiest version of a great wheelset.

If you're going to buy fancy wheels you should go all-in. Carbon rims, instant hubs. Maximize mostly-placebo. Anything less is throwing money away.

·
TRANCER
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These aren't exotic or interesting, but they're good hubs. Your rims are a pinned version of a good rim. You have good wheels that were built to a budget. IMO if you're complaining about these wheels it speaks more to a lack of skill/fitness/upgradeitis more than inadequacy of the parts. You have the shittiest version of a great wheelset.

If you're going to buy fancy wheels you should go all-in. Carbon rims, instant hubs. Maximize mostly-placebo. Anything less is throwing money away.
😂 there is always "THAT" guy on this forum. Thanks for knowing more about me than myself. Btw this isn't my first, second or third wheel build. I know what I want out of something. I bought this bike build the way it was because I got it for a grand off the going price everywhere else. I already made a few upgrades to it because I like things my way. I have 3 bikes and all are customized to my liking. I just enjoy doing that almost as much as I like riding them. When I get the I9 hubs I will build them myself from scratch. Wether I buy them all at once or buy em one piece at a time. I see it as a way to learn more about something I love to do. That's why I am here asking questions. And what this has to do with skills, fitness etc is beyond me 😂.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.