Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ya know how certain rides stick in your mind?

Just thinking of some of the fun rides I had this past summer and on the ride in northern Pa that I visit quite often at our cabin. I remembered how much fun I had at the STPR, watching Moto guys like Pastrana, McGrath and Deegan ripping through the dirt roads wide open with other drivers from all parts of the world.The creek crossing is the best spot bar none. You walk around Wellsboro and these guys are just hanging out at local eating places and will talk and sign autographs to anyone who wants one. A lot of the course can be ridden on a DS bike but not during race events of course. Great stuff!

http://www.stpr.org/

The Mt biking in that entire area is fantastic from Asaph for the whole day and a favorite ride on the course of the annual Laurel Classic MTB race with "Stinger" the most famous of them all downhill of thrill. Then onto Denton where the God's country race was once held and the trails have been expanded to 50 miles! One can call it a mt bike paradise.Doing the Pine Creek rail/ trail is 68 miles from end to end is super, but there are hidden gems up on the ridges that only the locals know. Good thing knowing locals ya know... LOL The whole rail trail runs through the Pa Grand Canyon!

Wanna fish? Fishing galore located in Potter county are the headwaters of 3 major rivers the Susquehanna, Allegeheny and Genesee. We always hit Coudersport for eats and it is a town that reminds me of an old west town.

If your into Moto? Miles Mountain is right there near Lawrenceville as well as the Cowanesque lake for boating fun, a Karting track too so ya can rip a few fast laps. That area kinda has it all.

If you ever get the chance to hit this please do.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

No wonder these places stick in my mind!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
The creek crossing was eliminated from STPR about 2 or 3 years ago. I rode at Asaph trails this past summer and found myself getting lost off trail constantly. :madman: I'm hooked on Wellsboro STPR and plan on going back every year.
 

·
Did you ever have ham?
Joined
·
1,650 Posts
Thinking about Summer

Can I enter the Rally in an old Fury?:smallviolin: :smallviolin: :smallviolin: :smallviolin: :smallviolin:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
droptop:

So many trails to ride at Asaph! Either one of the climbs(the road or the trail) up from the fish culture center are epic, real suffrage on a singlespeed! Coming back down is the deal. There's also lots to ride on the lower end of the Pine Creek RT I stop at Wolfs store to buy flies and fish Slate Run, the owner is a wealth of knowledge also but that a bit away form Asaph. Ole Bull has lots to ride, and even a race there still.


I too am hooked on the rally and at some point we will build a car and do that event. In a bit different venue, but like the rally, have you ever been to the Weatherly or Giants Despair hillclimbs?

Moto:

A Fury? When we build'in her?
 

·
Did you ever have ham?
Joined
·
1,650 Posts
Feel the Fury

We could use the 1958 Fury, "Christine" and just scare everyone else off the course!:smallviolin: :smallviolin: :smallviolin: :smallviolin: :smallviolin:
 

Attachments

·
NEPMCPMBA President
Joined
·
928 Posts
NEPMTBA said:
I too am hooked on the rally and at some point we will build a car and do that event. In a bit different venue, but like the rally, have you ever been to the Weatherly or Giants Despair hillclimbs?
I've wrenched for a bunch of different drivers (Otis Dimiters, Dave Anton, Matt Johnson, plus a bunch of the Irish guys) for maybe 5 years or so, and have been to the last 8 or so STPR's with the exception of this year as I was on my honeymoon. Building a car for rally isn't an easy task as the rally america rules are pretty much the most stringent production sportscar based rules in north america. You are better off buying a built car. Check out
 

·
Did you ever have ham?
Joined
·
1,650 Posts
RoyDean said:
I've wrenched for a bunch of different drivers (Otis Dimiters, Dave Anton, Matt Johnson, plus a bunch of the Irish guys) for maybe 5 years or so, and have been to the last 8 or so STPR's with the exception of this year as I was on my honeymoon. Building a car for rally isn't an easy task as the rally america rules are pretty much the most stringent production sportscar based rules in north america. You are better off buying a built car. Check out
That is awesome! I bet you have some great stories from those times. When I worked at Fairway Chevy/Subaru the boss's son built up a WRX for the hillclimbs and I couldn't believe everything he had to do to the vehicle to keep up with the rules.

A few years after that, I was going to get a little Cavalier and set it up to run roundy-round at Mahoning Valley. The cost to get the car ready were staggering, then add in the cost to enter the track and the pits, sign up, and any repairs needed after the race. Too much for my meager salary...moto and mtb is much more affordable for me. I still love to watch car racing, though!:madman:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
NEPMTBA said:
droptop:

So many trails to ride at Asaph! Either one of the climbs(the road or the trail) up from the fish culture center are epic, real suffrage on a singlespeed! Coming back down is the deal. There's also lots to ride on the lower end of the Pine Creek RT I stop at Wolfs store to buy flies and fish Slate Run, the owner is a wealth of knowledge also but that a bit away form Asaph. Ole Bull has lots to ride, and even a race there still.
Thats is exactly what I did. Got to the top and entered the trail there that went right, followed that for a while and it dropped me out at an intersection of 3 roads. There was supposed to be another trail to follow in that area, but I never found it. I came back down the original road climb and went up a trail on the left side before coming back down to the fish culture center. I'd like to make it up to the race and ride the actual course.
 

·
NEPMCPMBA President
Joined
·
928 Posts
motoman465 said:
When I worked at Fairway Chevy/Subaru the boss's son built up a WRX for the hillclimbs and I couldn't believe everything he had to do to the vehicle to keep up with the rules.
Yes, I remember that guy. At a hillclimb, I asked him "When are you going to rally it?". His response was "Never."

I don't know why somebody would build a rally car and never rally it.
 

·
Did you ever have ham?
Joined
·
1,650 Posts
RoyDean said:
Yes, I remember that guy. At a hillclimb, I asked him "When are you going to rally it?". His response was "Never."

I don't know why somebody would build a rally car and never rally it.
That is one of those "spoiled rich kid" things! He did get a really neat car while I was there. It was a Subaru 360, I think 1972. It was powered by a little twin-cylinder two stroke engine. We had fun seeing how many people we could cram into it, like a clown car or grabbing the bumber and doing curls with it. LOL!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
I need to get back up for the STPR this summer. My boss (Rich Kushner) did fairly well on the proRally circuit through the 80's. Has so many stores about the group B days, and great footage/pictures, including lots of cool shots from the creek crossing(now closed?) at STPR. Still has his main Saab 99.


As of now I have a snowmobile weekend planned up in that area in feb...I imagine there would be lots of great MTB riding in the summer..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
droptopchevy said:
Thats is exactly what I did. Got to the top and entered the trail there that went right, followed that for a while and it dropped me out at an intersection of 3 roads. There was supposed to be another trail to follow in that area, but I never found it. I came back down the original road climb and went up a trail on the left side before coming back down to the fish culture center. I'd like to make it up to the race and ride the actual course.
Ya, the connection with Deer Trail is Fed up, and you did get most of it. They have guys there the day of the race directing traffic without them it's a real guessing game. at the 3 rd intersection you have to take the one dirt road on your left that is a dead end, but at that point you don't know it's a dead end... LOL At the end it becomes Deer trail. Deer trail is fun except for the top that is washed out and really off camber on plate rocks, it goes down to the main dirt road that you went up you cross that go dh for a bit till you see the creek then start up the trail by the creek and Climb again top! You did that section. Basically an open ended big figure 8.

I have a map somewhere or did I see it on the Twisted spokes website?
 

·
Hail Satin!
Joined
·
248 Posts
I used to love going rally racing. Nothing real serious just me and a buddy screwing around. We never had any really cool cars just some old Plymouth horizons (Dodge Omnis) the last year we raced we did use his wifes old Saab 900 that grenaded the engine after 235,000 miles.
I learned some really important things with that car. Like don't go to Harry you pull it for a Sabb engine. Because you will come home with a complete Triumph TR7 and a sabb engine.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top