Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the way my Blur XC rides but the vpp suspension has been a hassle after only 6 months. I've already had the bearings replaced and I still get lots of squeaks and creaks. Somehow my rear dropouts are 140mm apart instead of 135mm despite the fact that I haven't crashed - what a headache. I'll probably have to get it warrantied already.

There are several things I like about the Flux but one that stands out right now for me is what seems like low maintenance with the bushings. They also seem easily servicable. Is this true Flux/Nitrous owners? What else can you tell me about the way it rides/handles? I've read all the mtbr reviews as well as those on the new TNT linkage. I'm just looking for a little more info. before I pull the trigger.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
mornin krane

i got my flux after trippin over a test ride last summer. id seen the bike and was interested in shelvin my 10 year old burner but didnt see spendin the cash just yet. well that changed quickly after a short ride. once in my hands it was clear from the 1st outing that this was the finest climbing and handeling xc bike id yet to ride. bein a shop guy i get to play on lots of new stuff and im not to easly impressed.

this thing is a absolute rocket. it even makes me look good and i cant climb for crap. just ask around for confirmation. i went in with high expectations but i was floored by its performance. it exceeded all hopes, not easy to do commin off good equipment already. in the tight wooded twistys its on rails. on techy downs its better than most med travel bikes ive ridden. very balanced and predictable. in the air its inspiering but i wouldnt treat it like a all mtn frame. long low air suits it just fine though. between the short chainstays, low bottom bracket and slack head tube angle this bike makes ya better and faster than ya were yesterday. i cant say enough about how comfortable i am on it in all but the stupidest of trail situations.

the bushings are the way to go. over 11 years of turner use and ive only needed to replaced them twice. the zerk fittings make it a no hassle service at home. customer service and speed of assistance or parts is unequaled. fit and finish is top notch. the flux builds light with minimal bling. you wont look back. buy, build, ride, enjoy. any particular question ya have left, just ask.

·
127 Posts
Although I own both a 5 spot and a Nomad, I would go for a Flux over the Blur XC. The geometry of the Turner is better for trail riding than the more XCish Santa Cruz. Even though the Turner uses a more dated suspension design, you will not have any problems with the pivots on the Flux.

·
gravity curmudgeon
1,502 Posts
Having made the swich from a blur to a flux myself, I'd say the flux sounds like a good choice for you. The maintence and durability qualities of the flux v. blur classic, in my experience, are night and day. The flux is a long-term keeper. Get a grease gun and squeeze in some grease now and then -- that's really about all you'll need to do for a long time.

Ride-wise there are subtle differences, but those differences don't really add up to significant performance capability differences. Both are very nice riding bikes that rocket up and down. The biggest thing is that the flux will fit a bit differently (longer top tube for a given size) and has a longer wheel base/slightly diff geometry.

As a complete package for a rider, my opinion is that flux > blur.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for giving me your 2 cents. It was good to hear your opinions and read the direct comparisons from tscheezy's link. I bought a used 2006 Flux on ebay tonight. It has the TNT linkage but according to reviews there isn't a noticable difference between it and the horst link. I'm excited to build it up and take it out for a spin. Knock on wood I'll also look forward to less maintenance. I'm actually hoping to have it ready for the second half of race season. It'll be trial by fire - which reminds me of some cool flame decals an mtbr Flux owner put on his steed.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
TNT is as good as the HL it replaced. I was a complete skeptic until I received a TNT rear to test on my spot.

I eventually had to eat my words when it turned out that I was wrong (did I say that?)

You're gonna love the Flux

Congrats on the purchase!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks man. I think I overpaid a little on the frame but my Blur XC will come back in great shape from S.C. and with the demand for that frame and it being a 2006, I'm hoping to break even.

Looking forward to posting w/ you guys on this forum and hope they're not like my S.C. posts: "Help!... my blah, blah, blah is creaking."

Happy trails.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Krane, are you going to switch everything over from your Blur and just sell that frame?

Congrats, you're gonna love the Flux. I love mine much more than the Blur I demoed, and the low maintenance factor was one of the big reasons for me making the jump to FS.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I'd read the differences between H/L and TNT so I didn't need to bother you guys w/ that one. I'd also read the creaky Flux post but it didn't seem like his was coming from his frame. Anyway, it seemed like small potatoes compared to what I've been through with my Blur XC.

I'm switching everything over from my Blur XC but am going with a 100mm fork instead of the 80mm I have now. I paid $1250. I could've gotten a new one from Competitive Cyclist for $1600 but then I'd REALLY have marital problems.

·
Registered
808 Posts
From Portugal

I already post an answer to the creak at Santacruz forum, I own a BLT since September. In winter, I ride with BLT raining, and this year it rain a lot. Mine start creaking, well the creaking came from Fox reducers when they attach with the VPP pivot, and you only need 20 minutes to solve this problem with a little maintenance, and it wasn't complicated, just one principle: read the instructions and have all the tools required to that.
I clean all pivots last moth, and when Winter arrive I'll do that again, and it's a pleasure do that. Like my wife says "go play with the other".
Turners maybe hasn't so much maintenance issues, but they have.
Now the bearings are better than previous Blur (I now one rider that have a Blur since they came and never have an issue and never trade the bearings and mountain biking is is life) and the VPP for the type of riding that is needed sprinting, velocity and comfort is way better than TNT that need the platform of the shock to delivery a no bob or more sprinting capability ride, and that is way I chose the BLT.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Glad you like your BLT. Had it been just one type of creak with my Blur XC, I could have maintenanced it myself every so often like you do. Once I had to get the bearings replaced so early and now have to have the rear triangle warrantied, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

The best way to describe it is that the Blur XC was like having a hot, b*tchy girlfriend. She looks and feels great but eventually the b*tching becomes unbearable. I need a frame that's marraige material. I'm ready to settle down dude. We'll see if the Flux is the one.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.