Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been thinking about putting together an east coast DH trip for late july. I went to school in boston so I'm familiar with places like diablo, jiminy peak, highland. I'm thinking about spending about a solid week or so driving up from washington, DC and hitting up some mtns with life assisted riding. While I know places like snowshow and diablo have great freeriding and some decent trails, I want to focus primarily on nice DH runs. What places would you recommend I hit and why? If you've got pictures or a ride report even better.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
Gman said:
So I've been thinking about putting together an east coast DH trip for late july. I went to school in boston so I'm familiar with places like diablo, jiminy peak, highland. I'm thinking about spending about a solid week or so driving up from washington, DC and hitting up some mtns with life assisted riding. While I know places like snowshow and diablo have great freeriding and some decent trails, I want to focus primarily on nice DH runs. What places would you recommend I hit and why? If you've got pictures or a ride report even better.
Lake Placid has some good stuff....check out downhillmikes pics and posts...

I always liked Snoeshoe......great variety of trails.....fast speed runs...and the freeride side with ladders on the wet side of the mountain

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I'm going east coast for that period too, for lift assisted you should check out plattekill and whiteface. if you have any interest in riding for a day over a weekend, a couple guys and I will be doing some riding in the Lake George area (no shuttles or lifts up to the top though - gotta hike sadly) and then spending the rest of the day at my cabin chilling and doing some boating.

my "hood"

PM me if you're interested

·
Huh?
848 Posts
Sunday river will be open for biking then also. Though I believe only on the weekends. Another good place is Attitash in Bartlett NH. Just outside of North Conway where there is lots of stuff to do. If I'm not mistaken Atty is open all week also.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Right now Highland is becoming THE place in the NE period. The guys there have been doing such a wonderful work on maintaining/improving the area and although some others get more advertising, nothing compares to Highland.
Above all, the crew is mad chill. You may pay a visit to highlandmountain.com just to check it out.
edit: you should post your same question on bustedspoke.com, New England's biggest riding community website.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lalocotequinta said:
Right now Highland is becoming THE place in the NE period. The guys there have been doing such a wonderful work on maintaining/improving the area and although some others get more advertising, nothing compares to Highland.
Above all, the crew is mad chill. You may pay a visit to highlandmountain.com just to check it out.
edit: you should post your same question on bustedspoke.com, New England's biggest riding community website.
yea I'm familiar with both highland and bustedspoke.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I went to plattekill a few weeks ago. Its basically your average ski slope with a lot of techinal trails along the side of the ski runs. I had a really good time, and plan on going back before the seasons over. If your passing thru ny, its worht a stop.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Thanks SMT.
Whiteface is open 7 days a week if that helps plan your trip.
All the places mentioned are great and each place has it's own character. Whiteface def has big mountain riding (2,476 feet), beautiful scenery and a fairly new 5.2 million dollar gondola that's a quick 10 to 12 minute ride.
Lake Placid is also bustling in the summer with tons of activities and things going on.

With Ironman fever and the Lake Placid ironman coming up we have way too many roadies in town. Mountain bikers welcome!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hey Mike, it seems like Whiteface would be a great place for a week vacation. I'm sold to Highland but I hear a ton of freeriders and DHers say only good things about your place. I have to go and check it out in August.:D

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Lake Placid is def. a killer vacation spot. i 1st moved up here to hike, p[addle and other sports so I may be able to help you with some other advice. If your hiking pm me or something because there are some amazing camp sites that are right at the trail heads to several high peaks.

Check out the pump track from the gondola:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Thanks Mike, this would be an only biking trip which it would start after riding Highland on the weekend before, going then to Whiteface for the week and back to Highland for the next weekend., I kinda like the combination of Sugarbush/Killington/Platty from what I saw on your videos.I think you guys offer some kind of accommodations with lift tickets included don't you? I hope not too expensive.

edit: the hijacking of this thread was unintended, I'ts all Mike's fault:D

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Bike & Stay is a killer deal. $69.00 for room and lift ticket. Some people were having trouble with certain icons on our site, so all pages can be found on the main menu now.

Also, Highland has done some amazing things. Things that would seem impossible for us to do and all. Like I mentioned before all places are great and unique. We offer big mountain riding, old school trails and an awesome town with tons to do for all.
Your trip sounds like a blast!

Also, we have a shuttle bus that only accesses beginner/intermediate terrain. I think a lot of people all we have is gnarly stuff?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.