Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yeah, I saw that, 100* this weekend, yikes! I guess the only difference from social is its still 80* right now (10pm) and up there it looks like it cools off nicely.
People will tell you this, but 100 in Oregon isn't the same as 100 in So. Cal. I was at a pub the other day sitting outside. Had to go inside because of the oppressive heat. In the pub I was commiserating with a guy who also had to come inside to get out of the heat. This guy was from Dubai. Said it hits 120 in Dubai, but he could not take the heat in Oregon. It was 74 degrees out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
People will tell you this, but 100 in Oregon isn't the same as 100 in So. Cal. I was at a pub the other day sitting outside. Had to go inside because of the oppressive heat. In the pub I was commiserating with a guy who also had to come inside to get out of the heat. This guy was from Dubai. Said it hits 120 in Dubai, but he could not take the heat in Oregon. It was 74 degrees out.
Why is that!?

·
Registered
797 Posts
the elevation, around 4.000 feet and above at most riding areas, no clouds, NO SHADE! Humidity is very low, but to me, 80 in Bend feels alot hotter than it sounds. If you see clouds coming in, and the afternoon breeze picks up, grab your bike and go for it! Thats your best chance.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Why is that!?
Latitude & our angle to the sun combined with elevation and being on the backside of many moisture squeezing mountains. Bend is a dust pit in danger of an apocalyptic fire season. Yet people water their high desert lawn, the adjacent sidewalk and the corresponding pavement....yay bend!

·
Registered
966 Posts
All that and none of that nice Socal smog to filter out all of that pesky sunlight. Wait a couple more years, after the rest of the Californians move to Bend, and it will have some nice smog of its own. Or you can just wait for the smoke from this summers pending forest fires to simulate it.

·
Dirtmistress
535 Posts
Wow. I think I just canceled my trip to do a ride or two.
We're on the rode right now heading up to the redwoods, Ashland, Oakridge. Maybe from there we'll head back towards the coast. Yuuck. I hate summer.

·
No Clue Crew
7,171 Posts
Wow. You guys really don't want people moving to your town, huh? Surprised you didn't bring up Nazis, excessive radiation and the impending zombie apocalypse. Jeez ...

·
newfydog
302 Posts
? Surprised you didn't bring up Nazis, excessive radiation and the impending zombie apocalypse. Jeez ...
Those are minor problems compared to the homicidal ******** on the road. Don't even think about a road ride here. Even at the local driving safety school they tell the students "some of these cyclists need to get creamed to learn a lesson".

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Rode funner trail a couple times it was great. Seems like a nice riding community. Hot, but def doesn't feel as hot as 100* in california.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ya, its better than Houston, or Manila, but who cares! The summers here SUCK! Only good news, is so far, no smoke. When that starts, its game, over.
Yeah, it is definitely hotter than I'd like. Are you talking about smoke from forest fires?

·
newfydog
302 Posts
We were working on a reply for people thinking about moving to Bend.

"Yeah, I agree, in spite of the dioxin problem, I wouldn't live anywhere else. The terrific weather this time of year makes all those other months worth it. Of course, we don't have kids, so the schools, with all the asbestos, the drugs, the allegations of abuse and the record rate of STD's doesn't really affect us. All those drops out hanging around town don't really carry knives."

"Heck, I just heard of a nice fixer upper in the neighborhood, low 700's and the realtor says the toilet works as is. Who needs a second bedroom anyway? The inspector said he hardly ever sees so little mold and termites as in Bend."

"Yeah, the brew pubs are great, especially the ones that weren't affected by that pesticide contamination."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

etc. they seemed funny at the pub anyway....

ps...the driving class did happen. Welcome to Bend.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Actually Bend ranked 10th out of 35 cities tested for hexavalent chromium (a potent carcinogen ) in it's tap water. 0.78 parts per billion which is flippin high

·
newfydog
302 Posts
Actually Bend ranked 10th out of 35 cities tested for hexavalent chromium (a potent carcinogen ) in it's tap water. 0.78 parts per billion which is flippin high
Yeah, but if you don't get a little of that stuff every day, how do you ever expect to develop an immunity to it?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the incessant wind there, especially out between Bend and Sisters. We lived in the Plainview area area for 3 years until it blew us out to a very pleasant spot here on the North Coast (Mendocino) of California. Reverse relocation? Fortunately for us, we purchased a beautiful 7 acre parcel with home and barn for 120K. Sold three years later after the early retirement Microsoft folks blew up the real estate prices for a 40% gain in our equity. At the time we moved to Bend in 1996 the population was 27,000. We left 3 years later when it was around 65,000. Working with Building and Planning was a nightmare too. Work was tough to find. My wife was a social worker working with sexually abused children out of the Redmond area. It damn near broke her heart...

The Good, Bad and the Ugly:

The riding was great! We had trails all over the 54K acres of BLM off out back porch. Some days we would do marathon rides to Three Creeks Lake up in the Tam McArthur rim area and back for a 40+ mile ride. Since leaving the number of trails has gone exponential.

The bad news is: The wind would start blowing about 2PM until dark. Our cat went absolutely nuts! Also, if you have any inclination to garden, forget it. It is not infrequent to have below freezing temps any morning throughout the summer months. Then before you know it, it's 95 degrees out. Build a greenhouse if you are jonsing for a garden.

The average residency was about 3 years for many folks. We saw many friends pull up stakes, including ourselves. Skiing is marginal when one has lived in Utah for 20 years too. Rent if possible for at least one year.

Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
can't believe no one mentioned how hard the ground is. also, the sun is really bright and in my eyes all the time. and sometimes my yoga teacher raises her voice, and that makes me uncomfortable. 5/10 will be moving back to Orange County soon.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I guess I'm just going to have to try it and see! Every place has its ups and downs. Right now I'm feeling like trading the crowds and smog for some space and good trails/lakes/fresh air would be worth it. I would be perfectly fine never going into a mall again in my life.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts