Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I got a good deal on a couple of H-bars (JJ, not Titec if that makes a difference) and threw a set on my rigid SS Jaber and my 1x9 Optimus. Initially I liked them but I found over time that they make my hands hurt. I've tried different angles and handlebar heights, which helped handling once I dialed it but no help for the hands.

I've got them wrapped as per JJ with his foam grips and handlebar tape and I think the problem comes from me gripping harder to keep from slipping forward when braking. With regular bars, this isn't a problem as your thumb keeps you from moving forward when braking but I'm finding with the greater sweep, my hands just want to move up the bars.

I spend most of my time at the back of the bars, as I find that's where the real advantages of the bars are. More leverage, weight further back and I can one finger brake. I've tried other positions on the bars, but can't get comfortable using 2 or 3 finger braking and don't like the narrower grips..

So my question is - anyone else have this same issue and come up with a solution to their liking or should I go back to regular bars? I'm thinking the latter as I never had any real issues with regular bars, but wanted to get some other opinions before they go on eBay.

Thanks for any thoughts.

·
WNC Native
3,985 Posts
I had some of the same issues. My hands were trying to slide forward too often in fast stuff. So for the time being I have switched back to less sweep.
I'm thinking 20-25 degrees may be the sweet spot. Really wanting to try Brant's Carnegie bar, I think it maybe a good compromise of both style bars.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Similar issues.

But I narrowed my problem down to my reach to the brake levers. I'm a one finger kind of guy, and with the brake mounted on the other side of the cross section (the only place to mount the brake lever) I finger had a hard time reaching the lever when my hand was all the way on the outside of the bar. So on a long downhill my hand would start aching REALLY bad.

It seems jeff has made a new bar that addresses this issue, but I don't want to spend money on another one of his bars.

Anyhow. At first I got some cheap levers from a buddy of my that where really long, they helped. But was using mechanical disk brakes and I was really getting sick of them after four years. So I picked up a pair of Formula K24 brakes. Once I got the reach dialed in, they helped even more because I don't have to squeeze as hard on the brakes.

Now for the final thing that has help a lot also. I just exchanged the cork grips that came on the bar for a pair of the ESI chunky grips. WOW, that helped a lot.

So with new more powerful brakes, and the nicer grips, my hands aren't bothering me at all.

Nate

·
Registered
760 Posts
My comment is I respect Jeff Jones' innovative handlebar but personally could never warm up to one. I purchased a Titec version and rode it briefly and then quickly sold it. I am relatively new to mountain biking but a life long cyclist. Ergos are hugely important to me. There is one synergy and that pertains to handlebar and riding position. Each affect one another. If the riding position isn't dialed, any given bar won't be ideal. And the bar affects how you fit on the bike. I already have tried a lot of different bars....including 33'ish degree Fubar and currectly 40 deg Clarence which is an On-One Mary clone. The thing that is becoming apparent to me, is there is a reason why mountain bikes don't have a lot of backsweep with their handlebars. Too much angle back can create as much discomfort as riding a straight to 5 degree bar IMO. If you notice more bars are becoming available in the 12-15 deg backsweep range. Further The Luv Handle is 21'ish and the new Carnegie is 25 deg. My impression of the Mary knock off is, its a great bar but perhaps like the H bar the backsweep angle is too pronounced for even pressure across the palms.

I believe if your riding position is dialed in terms of fore/aft position on the bike, there shouldn't be a lot of sliding off the grips forward....BUT....even with a good fit, the angle of the grip must equally distribute pressure across the palm or pain will ensue if your set up is all aggressive which many of our set ups are. With a 40-45 deg rearward grip angle, I feel a bit too much pressure on the outboard side of my palm. Looking at my natural wrist position...it appears to be about 20-25 degrees or so. What this translates to with a 40-45 degree backsweep bar is a higher amount of PSI on outside of the palm. Conversely on a 10 degree handlebar which is more traditional, the inside of the palm closer to the root of forefinger and thumb is loaded. Perhaps this is as it should be and why mountain bike handlebars have evolved as they have. To me having experimented, I believe a 21-25 degree angle maybe the sweetspot as mentioned above. As a result, I likely will try a Carnegie bar when it becomes available in the US or maybe the Luv bar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.