Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Eduardo Naranja
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking thinking about getting a Mojo (big b-day coming up in Feb). I've ridden one on a demo day and had a really good time on it. I rode about 4-5 different bikes that day and riding the Mojo made me smile, literally. I was also very impressed with the BLT2 but it somehow felt beefier and stiffer suspension-wise than I like (yes they were all adjusted for my weight). I will do another demo in January.

From looking at used and demo bikes, I see some potential problems with it and would like to get actual owners feedback on how serious these problems are, what the common remedies are, etc.

1) Chain rub on bottom of chain stay close to the bottom bracket (the chain stay bulges out to the bottom). This area is definitely not covered by regular chain stay protectors.
I've seen this on a number of Mojos. Some have very little, others have a lot. What do people do to prevent this from happening? Long cage derailleur? Shorter chain? I'm wondering if those that have very little rub have not been ridden very much / hard?

2) Chain rub on seat stay. All demo bikes I've seen have some heavy duty tape on the bottom part of the drive side seat stay. I've seen two used Mojos without tape there and their seat stays were very chewed up. Is the tape enough to keep the seat stay unmolested? I have not seen this on many other bikes. Would you consider this a design flaw?

3) Rear tire clearance. I'm looking at the Mojo to get a more AM'ish bike (I have an Epic now). Running wider tires is a big part of that, to me. How wide I need / want, is a good question. I have Mavic 717 (narrow) rims on my Epic and it seems like they make tire look narrow. Has rear tire clearance been a problem for you? How wide a tire were you comfortable running on your Mojo?

Please don't take any of this as bashing. I know most of you guys and gals on this board really love your Mojos, and I understand why. In fact it is one of the reasons for me to have a very close look at the Mojo.

Thanks for any insight and answers to my questions!

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
I have a Lizard Skin chain stay protector on my 1.75 yr. old naked Mojo

1. No chain rub marks on stay. On the part near the BB, I put a piece of protective tape. It doesn't have any marks on it though. I do keep the chain tight by running it in the big ring and keeping it on the larger rings in back on DH runs.

2. The seat stay comes with a thick protective plastic protector. At the edge at the bottom, there are some rough edges where the chain might have bounced on it and made it rough. No damage to the stay. I have an additional piece of tape(thinner) on the inside that meets the factory piece. No damage at all. I do try to keep the chain tight.

3. I had some 2.35 Nevagals on it. It didn't look like any clearance issues. I am in SOCAL and there isn't much mud as in other areas. I run a set of 2.1 with beefy knobs now.

I am really pleased on how well the bike has held up. The small chrome protector takes care of any issues, as far as chain suck. There are a few marks on it. I did put a piece of a plastic fender under the down tube attached by the water bottle bolts, but there doesn't seem to be any marks on it. Peace of mind.

·
Registered
333 Posts
protection

The lizard skin protector made for the mojo(available at the online store) can be pushed quite along way forward to protect the bottom of the chainstay, especially id you make certain that the velcro colsure is taking the chain hits as it is a bit tougher than the neoprene. However after looking at the wear on my chainstay I put some extra tape there and then when I noticed that waering I put some self adhesive rubber there for extra pro. The seat stay can be protected by a cut down neoprene chainstay protector. I used the worn out one that came with my bike, before the Ibis branded ones were available.
I could post some pics if you like. But I'm feeling very lazy after rain and hail(it is #@^%@^ summer down here) interrupted my ride tonight, so I drank too much beer.

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
ISC Racer tape (surface guard tape)

Or better yet, the Fishboy skin set. There's a thread about it....custom designed for the Mojo. Basically a lot of the rubbing/slapping/chipping issues in your questions below will be totally solved just by taking some time to tape up the frame. If you go with just the normal ISC tape, you'll have to custom cut it....it's also a different material I believe but accomplishes the same thing.

Personally, all frames with traditional rear triangles will suffer from slap. It's an inherent problem of a chain driven design. I don't see any difference in running a longer r. derailler cage or a super short chain (I have a dual ring with as short of a chain as I can run). It will still slap but I put on the tape and there is no damage on my seatstay or chainstay.

I do agree that the "bulge" at the BB area brings the chainstay closer to the chain than other designs but since this is an obvious section that would get damaged, I taped it up. I also used replacement tennis racquet grip instead of the lizardskins or the old tube solution. Note: If you do this...don't use racquet overgrip...use replacement grip. Cushier, more durable. I recommended this to other riders, not just Mojo owners. On my previous bike, I NEVER replaced it....it lasted 5+ years and since you wrap it yourself, you can start closer to the BB area.

About clearance.....I'm pretty sure I'm running as big of a tire/rim combo as anyone. I have 2.35 neve's on 823's. It's tight....but I'm in Norcal...not a lot of muddy riding. I noticed that you're in Norcal too. If you're on 717's and you run 2.35's, you won't have ANY issues. The 823's are 32mm rims.....your 717's shouldn't be any wider than 25....and probably only 23. The difference in width will make a huge difference. I'm about to get the 5.1D's though so I'll be dropping to a 28 mm rim. That will give me just the tad more clearance that I think would be perfect and not sacrifice too much in terms of strength. The 823's were overkill anyways.

As far as not beating up the bike or riding hard enough.....since you're in norcal, you should be familiar with Demo, Skeggs, UC**, JMP, Mission peak....none of that is overly technical but it's about as technical as you can get in the bay area. The Mojo has been fine tackling this kind of terrain.....

You can never prevent all damage....but if you know there are susceptible areas, just protect it....and really, this "damage" is all superficial anyways. My old AL HH100X got beat to $hit because I didn't take the time to tape up the rear seatstay and under the chainstay near the BB. However, the top of the CS was PERFECT. No scratches at all.

Also, I think that because carbon just looks cool.....people that own Mojo's are just that much more protective over the aesthetics. The painted versions do seem to chip easily though....I've never heard any complaints about the finish of the naked one.

If you're still REALLY concerned about the durability/finish of the Mojo, might wanna check out the new Spot. Elevated stays should solve a lot of the slapping problem. Turners are known for huge tire clearance (although even DT admitted that this year's spot has less clearance....must be because of the dual link design now). You might have a more difficult time demoing one though. Depending on size, I do have a GREAT LEAD on a med 09 spot with 110 headset....iron glimmer.

Good luck!

·
Eduardo Naranja
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all for your responses. I kind of thought that none of these are serious issues and that proper taping / protection will not let the chain rub turn into a problem. As for tire width, a (true) 2.35 on a medium size rim is probably as wide as I'll want to go on the rear (I won't run the 717 on the Mojo, I kind of regret having gotten them for my Epic).

Yeah, bay area trails (at least those that ddraewwg listed) won't be too demanding on the hardware, and considering my riding style (I call it "responsible" :) ), the above tire width should not be a limiting factor.

Quattro:
I'm not sure I like to have to think about changing on to bigger rings / cogs to avoid getting chain rub on downhills, though. But it may explain why some bikes show wear in that area more than others. It seems though that with enough protective film I won't have to think about it. :)

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
2,115 Posts
xls said:
Thanks to all for your responses. I kind of thought that none of these are serious issues and that proper taping / protection will not let the chain rub turn into a problem. As for tire width, a (true) 2.35 on a medium size rim is probably as wide as I'll want to go on the rear (I won't run the 717 on the Mojo, I kind of regret having gotten them for my Epic).

Yeah, bay area trails (at least those that ddraewwg listed) won't be too demanding on the hardware, and considering my riding style (I call it "responsible" :) ), the above tire width should not be a limiting factor.

Quattro:
I'm not sure I like to have to think about changing on to bigger rings / cogs to avoid getting chain rub on downhills, though. But it may explain why some bikes show wear in that area more than others. It seems though that with enough protective film I won't have to think about it. :)
Quattro,

One thing you may want to try if you go with a Mojo is running a dual ring guide. You can get an E.13 DRS to fit with quite a bit of grinding, or a Blackspire Stinger fits perfectly and adds very little weight to the bike, it's also simple to setup and maintain. This will cut down on chainslap and makes any bike a bit more quiet overall. I know this isn't a super popular addition in this forum, but I think the slight added weight vs. benefits (reduction in chainslap, quieter ride on any bike) are worth it.

Besides the chainstay right behind the BB, I don't think this frame suffers from any more chain slap than any other bike. However, due to the carbon fiber and thick paint on some of the Mojos it just looks a lot worse. Motocross stores usually sell sheets of thick, clear, protective tape that takes the edge off of this. I put this on all my bikes, including my Mojo, where cable rub, chainslap and on a good section of the downtube/BB area to protect it a bit more from rocks flipping up. I learned a little trick from Sam Hills bike and also added a patch of sticky velcro (soft side) to protect the BB area from rock damage-added this to both the Mojo and my Sunday. This also makes the ride a bit quieter if you live in a rocky area.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll be able to get away with zero damage on any frame due to chainslap. Good luck with your choice.

·
aka übermensch
309 Posts
Damn, good idea about protecting the BB area. May have to incorporate it on my Mojo. Definitely agree that you will never be able to completely protect your bike, but I'd like to keep mine looking as new as possible for as long as possible. :D Now if I could just figure out the crashing thing...lol.

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
2,115 Posts
Here's a photo of the set up along with the clear moto tape. You can also order this online for $10 a sheet from www.go-ride.com or a decent motocross store. You can find 4in wide velcro at Lowes, Home Depot, etc...
Maybe a bit overkill, but it helps keep your frame decent.
Make sure to round the corners of both the tape and velcro to keep it from peeling.

·
Unpredictable
2,213 Posts
xls, there's no doubt the bike is tough. Chain slap is hard to avoid when you need to allow for 3 front chainrings and significant shock travel. I tend to ride in big ring as much as possible and it does reduce slap. Actually I could not have near as much fun without big ring.
Protecting is pretty easy. Fishboy, velcro or what I use - adhesive furniture foot pads. Also, and appology, not picking on slcrmr"s smick pesto ride, adding a titanium bottle cage and bottle (empty if you choose) prevents the really big rock hits - fast, drifting, rocky terrain, front wheel impacts loose rock which impacts neighbour which rebounds to frame!

ps; xls uses Mavic 717 like me. Can't believe I just posted that no-one else seems to use them:rolleyes: (tubeless tires thread)

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
Cut out pieces of innertube and superglue them to the chain and seat stays where the chain can hit. If you do this carefully it can look very clean and add minimum weight. I do it on all my bikes and besides protection it quites things down a lot.

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
2,115 Posts
Ridnparadise said:
Also, and appology, not picking on slcrmr"s smick pesto ride, adding a titanium bottle cage and bottle (empty if you choose) prevents the really big rock hits - fast, drifting, rocky terrain, front wheel impacts loose rock which impacts neighbour which rebounds to frame!
Ridn,

I hope you were joking with the waterbottle on the underside of the downtube as a means of protecting the frame. No offense to anyone, but I don't understand the reasoning of manufacturers placing a waterbottle mount down there. Granted, there is not a place for a traditional mounting placement on the Mojo (like a lot of other bikes), but especially on a carbon frame that just screams serious downtube damage. Catch that cage on a rock, root, stick, your foot when crashing, and you risk pulling those bolts out and who knows what else.

Add to that, having a waterbottle mounted down there just takes away from the look of the bike. Again, this is just my opinion.

I have only three complaints about the Mojo: I don't care for the existing cable mounts, 68mm BB- a wider BB would add a bit more realestate for the DW Link (although Chuck would have to go back to the drawing board adjust the chainline), and those two watermount holes on under the down tube. Other than that, the Mojo is one of the better 5in travel trail bikes out there and if you add their customer service, it makes the purchase that much better.

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
I agree that the 68mm BB shell is dumb. Everyone uses external BBs now and they possition the cranks in the same place regardless of a 68 or 73mm BB shell. With the 68mm you have to install 2 spacers. Wouldn't it be better to have a wider carbon structure and no spacers?

Edit: Hans, ignore that!! Don't improve anything cuz I haven't even finished building my Mojo!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.