Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so im seriously thinking about buying a mk3 frame and doing a custum build. Im 6.2"

tall and im leaning towards the 19" frame. how would the 17" work for me, cause i have a

7.3 right now in a 17 with the stubby 60mm stem. mabey the 17 mk with a 100mm or so

stem would feel about right. The .75 difference in toptube is not that much of a difference

between the two but i could for sure use the couple inches in the seat tube area! I like my

17 though for more tight technical riding style but im not sure, what do you guys think?

I just want to know how tall you guys are and what size your mk is?

and the deals at rscycle are amazing please help me seal the deal! tell me how much

you love your bike. I love my 7 point and the dw link i just kinda switched my riding style.

·
AKA; Jimmy Tango
804 Posts
A friend of mine and I were having this conversation last night. I am 6 foot and he is 6'2". My mkiii frame is a 17", although I use for more play, than a literal trail bike. I do trail ride on it, last sat I did 20miles on it, but I have long legs and short arms/torso, so even with the seatpost at maximum approved extension my legs were still at around 110deg angle when the cranks were at bottom of sweep. I was going to sell my frame and shock as well as other parts to purchase a frame that I could sit on comfortably ALL day. However after saturdays ride I decided I could not part with my bike, just TOO much fun. However I did decide to just build another bike from the ground up. So, that being said, I would recomend the 19" my friend wants to build one, and I recomended the 19" frame only from rscycle. He wants to build an all day trail bike too. As far as the cockpit goes, if you feel the TT is too long with your 60mm stem buy a 40mm, I use a 40mm on my 17", freakin' sweet! Go 19" you will suffer on a 17". I put up a pic here of me standing near my bike for a size relationship. it is the only pic I have with me standing near the bike. Go 17" for jumping a chucking, go 19" for all day fun and comfort.

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well guys i just ordered my mk11 frame in a 19! cant wait to get it and start the build!
im not sure really what parts i want to build it up with, but i know im going to go more all mountain than xc. so a low 30ish lb bike will be good for me. im not a damn weight weenie! haha Ill for sure sacrafice some wieght for stronger parts!

but i know i def want to go with a 140 fork, which will probley put the ha at 69 degrees. Im not sure how im going to like it but ill see... my 7.3 is like 67ish and i like the slackish feel but mabey ill like the mk angle more. isnt there like external headset conversion kits that slacken the head too? will that void warranty? any of you guys have longer fork on there?

sooo i have a few ideas floating around on my build but let me know what you guys think? what parts to you really like dislike on this bike?

·
AKA; Jimmy Tango
804 Posts
Don't get an "externalizer". The MKIII rides awesome around 140! That Marzocchi AM1SL on mine is 120-160mm, although I keep it turned in to around 145-150mm. When it is at 160 the handling is poopy. This is a trail bike and 140mm-ish is pretty dope on these frames. I would say just get another fork if you don't like the one it comes with, like a Pike or a Nixon, or a Marzocchi AM 150mm. Plenty of choices, and YES, externalizing the HS will void the warranty.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,591 Posts
sikkfreerider said:
Ok so im seriously thinking about buying a mk3 frame and doing a custum build. Im 6.2"

tall and im leaning towards the 19" frame. how would the 17" work for me, cause i have a

7.3 right now in a 17 with the stubby 60mm stem. mabey the 17 mk with a 100mm or so

stem would feel about right. The .75 difference in toptube is not that much of a difference

between the two but i could for sure use the couple inches in the seat tube area! I like my

17 though for more tight technical riding style but im not sure, what do you guys think?

I just want to know how tall you guys are and what size your mk is?

and the deals at rscycle are amazing please help me seal the deal! tell me how much

you love your bike. I love my 7 point and the dw link i just kinda switched my riding style.
I'm 5'10" with long torso and short legs. I ride a 19" and it fits pretty well.

·
Registered
313 Posts
kapusta said:
I'm 5'10" with long torso and short legs. I ride a 19" and it fits pretty well.
What is your stand-over height when you're standing just in front of the seat over the bike? The reason I ask is we're ~same height, but I still feel cramped on my 17'' 2008 mkiii frame...feels like top-tube is too short, but I have ~1inch standover height from top tube to my croch, so I'm not sure how much taller the 19'' frame is in that specific area.

·
Registered
171 Posts
booo ya, My mkIII will be here soon, I went with a 17 inch, I'm 5 11 / 6 footish short arms and its being build as a play bike... I'm sure I won't have any problems with epic rides either as I'm sued to not fully extending my legs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
when i bought my frame from rscycle it came with a little baggy and it had the zero stack headset cups already pressed into the frame, bearings and seals and the crown race everything you need for the headset. it also came with 2 derailleur hangers and a star nut. and the iron horse and fox shox booklets.

but my build is going great! all i need now is my drivetrain components! and im getting them soon! my bike should be done for sure by the end of feb mabey sooner! cant wait! the weather is perfect here in arizona!

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no its just a 55r 140mm travel i dont like all that fancy ride hight adjustment and lock out and stuff. im fine with just rebound and compression adjustments. and i got a 400$ fork for 200$ on jensonusa.com so im pretty happy with it. i havent really tried it out yet cause my bikes not done but its going to be a really solid fork cause it has the 20mm qr axle and 35mm sanctions. its a lil bit heavier than most forks at 6ish lbs but i want a solid do everything bike and right now my bike wieghs 24 lbs so with all the rest of the parts its gona be like 30ish hopefully. but it feels pretty stiff i might let a little air out later on. but for sure right now the front end is more stiff than the rear shock.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.