Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i found a good deal on a 05 kona stuff complete bike, but i only need the frame, so i was wondering if it was a good frame at all? i do mostly freeride/trail and (for some odd reason) still want a hardtail. i have a z1 bomber fork (130mm), would that be too much for the kona stuff?

any help is good help thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks buys, i checked out the reviews and i know that konas are good bikes, just wondering if the frames could be abused pretty hard. i was thinking about the banshee scirocco, but i dont have the cash right now : ( as of now im rockin a hardrock pro with a 110mm z1 fork, woots!! im just waiting for it to break....

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
yea the konas can be abused, and the longer chainstays would be better for fr/djer just remember that its aluminum so its lifetime will be shorter than a steel frame, check it out (if its used) and if theres no dents/fractures/damage id say go for it, especially since you said its a good price, also before you buy id find out if you can run the 130mm fork i dont know enough about the kona line but im sure someone else does and make sure you arent stressing the frame too much

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya the only problem is that the seller is in Colorado and im in phoenix, but he seems honest. ill have him check it out i guess. i know it can run around 110mm and i think that 130 might be pushing it, but it comes with a marzocchi drop off, so i could always use that. i only weigh like 150 lbs, so i can only do so much damage hehe :thumbsup: cant be worse that riding a hardrock!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Rev0MaN said:
well i found a good deal on a 05 kona stuff complete bike, but i only need the frame, so i was wondering if it was a good frame at all? i do mostly freeride/trail and (for some odd reason) still want a hardtail. i have a z1 bomber fork (130mm), would that be too much for the kona stuff?

any help is good help thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If interested, I am possibly going to be selling my Kona Cowan. IM me if you might be interested. Its a complete bike but has a pretty good parts spec and its in excellent condition..... NEVER jumped.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well the Azonic Steelhead seemed good, dose it only come in one size? i couldent find sizes on the price point site hehe. for $150 it seems be be a really good deal, the kona i was looking at was $250 shipped for just the frame, soooo i may get the azonic. is anyone on here riding the azonic??

:thumbsup: thanks a million guys!!

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
250 for the frame is a rip.

The Kona is a decent frame for "lazier" dirt jumps and freeride. It's long stays makes it feel more stable, but a bit sluggish at real tech stuff. A good rider can overcome it though. It should take 130mm okay, but it depends on the axle to crown height of the fork.

The Azonic comes in two sizes, a regular and a XL. I'm not really a fan, but it is burly.

·
Slopestyle Rider
2,448 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
The Kona is a decent frame for "lazier" dirt jumps and freeride.
I'll disagree with you here... I've personally seen this frame/bike getting nuts over some seriously big/tech jumps. But the guy riding it was John Cowan.

I believe it's the rider, not the bike... unless you are rockin the huffy... then you are screwed.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
joelalamo45 said:
I'll disagree with you here... I've personally seen this frame/bike getting nuts over some seriously big/tech jumps. But the guy riding it was John Cowan.

I believe it's the rider, not the bike... unless you are rockin the huffy... then you are screwed.
Yeah... note the quotation marks... and the part following... "A good rider can overcome it though."

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
id think the steelhead would make a better hardtail fr machine than dj/urban machine due to the longer chainstays i think they are 16.5ish (dont quote me on that though) im sure other online stores have it in both sizes, just go to your lbs and find a bike with similar measurments (to both sizes of the steelhead) and go test ride bikes similar to both sizes and then order the steelhead in the size that felt better. granted this is only going to be fudging your size but its a great deal on a burly frame that will allow you to progress without breaking the bank or your neck because your hardrock snapped on a drop or something

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
spazzy said:
granted this is only going to be fudging your size but its a great deal on a burly frame that will allow you to progress without breaking the bank or your neck because your hardrock snapped on a drop or something
haha ya, thats the main concern i have. i think i might get the azonic because its a bit cheaper and it will do until i can get the banshee scirocco!!! the only good thing about the kona is that i was completely built up and would only be $450 shipped for the whole package.

anyways, you guys rock!!! thaks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.