Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here's the deal. My wife has a (new to her) '99 Stumpjumper FSR (interrupted seat tube). The woman who had the bike before her must've had longer legs or something. My wife tells me that the seat needs to be lowered a little more. My problem is that the seatpost is as low as it will go. There are about two or three cm before the seatpost will be touching the shock (too close for comfort). So, I was considering cutting the seatpost about 2". The seatpost is a Titec X-Wing. I like it. Its very light and I don't want to get rid of it. I have a Dremel at home. What do you think?

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
DubbL Tapp said:
I was considering cutting the seatpost about 2". I have a Dremel at home. What do you think?
A hacksaw makes short work of cutting any seatpost - even a carbon one. If it's carbon then maybe tape the cut first and use a fine blade.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mike T. said:
A hacksaw makes short work of cutting any seatpost - even a carbon one. If it's carbon then maybe tape the cut first and use a fine blade.
Yeah, I've cut alum seatposts with no problem using a hacksaw, a sawzall would work fine too. A dremel or die grinder would work too, but might be a little slower. I always file the edges of the cut smooth, for a better fit and to not scrape up the inside of the seat tube. I wouldn't hesitate to cut a carbon post, but would sand the edges of the cut smooth to eliminate stress raisers that could promote cracking.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies!

I believe it is actually Carbon. I wasn't exactly sure but I figured it might be. I'll have to look at it again when I get back home. This thing is really light. Thanks for the ideas about taping, sanding and the fine blade hacksaw. ;) Power tools are more fun though. :D Pardon me, I look for little excuses to use the Dremel. :)

DT

·
President, CEO of Earth
1,001 Posts
dont use a dremmel

If it were me cutting carbon I would avoid using a dremmel. It will kick up a lot of very fine dust that may not be real good for your lungs. Some carbon is mixed with fibreglass, too, and that is definately bad for your lungs.

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
you might want to let some superglue absorb into the fibers if it's carbon... so it doesn't start to fray... though I haven't tried this on a carbon seat posts... just an idea....

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
endurowanker said:
you might want to let some superglue absorb into the fibers if it's carbon... so it doesn't start to fray... though I haven't tried this on a carbon seat posts... just an idea....
Carbon dust and powertools is a bad idea as well especially tools with large openings like Dremels.

Further don't use superglue to seal the edge but think EPOXIE.
It is messy but if you do it right it should be much more durable than superglue and closer to the origional matrix, more likely to get into the delamination and hold them together than superglue. You will have to be careful not to leave it on the outside of the tube enough to bind when inserted into the frame.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts