Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like a lot of people here, I am considering making a switch to this frame. There's nothing wrong with my Asylum and I'm very happy with it. What I can;t find is any listing for its frame weight. I weighed the Pivot at 6.8lbs in a medium. The Asylum has to be less than that. I know most will say the increased stiffness, ride quality, etc will far outweigh the difference, but I like to know and I am obsessed not with getting the lightest bike, but the ligthest and strongest components. My current setup includes Industry Nine wheels on Stans, 09 Reba, FSA Carbon crankset, mix of X0 and X9, Formula One brakes, PUSHed rear end, etc. Stiff and 27.5 lbs.

Any idea on where I'd be on a straight frame swap?

·
Registered
52 Posts
rockpicker said:
Like a lot of people here, I am considering making a switch to this frame. There's nothing wrong with my Asylum and I'm very happy with it. What I can;t find is any listing for its frame weight. I weighed the Pivot at 6.8lbs in a medium. The Asylum has to be less than that. I know most will say the increased stiffness, ride quality, etc will far outweigh the difference, but I like to know and I am obsessed not with getting the lightest bike, but the ligthest and strongest components. My current setup includes Industry Nine wheels on Stans, 09 Reba, FSA Carbon crankset, mix of X0 and X9, Formula One brakes, PUSHed rear end, etc. Stiff and 27.5 lbs.

Any idea on where I'd be on a straight frame swap?
Just remember that the Pivot is weighed with the bb installed, has extra material for the front der and larger diameter head tube for the zero stack headset.
So apples to apples, you'd have to weigh your assylum with the BB installed, front der clamp and headset cups installed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, you're right. I did buy the Pivot and the final weight was........................27.4lbs.

Very happy about that and hope to get the first ride in tomorrow if the temps drop. Now I need to figure out what to do with the Asylum frameset.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.