Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... I've been thinking about getting a speedhub lately. With my Rig's EBB I feel like it would be a great setup. Don't get me wrong, single speeding is fun and all, but its hard do both urban riding and trail riding with the same gearing.

What do you think, is a speedhub the answer?

My main concern is the price. I really don't think I could afford a new one. I'm hoping that if I watch ebay over the next few months I might be able to get a decent deal on a used one. Are ther any other sources where I might be able to get one for a good price?

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Setting up an automated search on eBay is a good start, but great deals are getting rare. A better bet is to watch Craig's List (check CrazedList.org to search entire regions or nationwide). I see them pop up frequently in the San Francisco Bay area.

Of course I think it's a good idea, and I'd even argue that they pay for themselves over time, but I totally agree that up-front cost is a huge barrier to entry -- and a huge leap of faith for the Speedhub virgins. I recently picked up a 4th hub (used), and still had to swallow hard before coughing up the payment.

Buy one in peace knowing that if you buy one, ride it for a while and hate it (or even moderately dislike it), you can recoup most of your investment auctioning it on eBay. There's no doubt that the market for used Speedhubs is healthy.

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nate, what kind of price do you think I will be looking at?

·
ups and downs
15,596 Posts
The used hubs are likely in the $600-700 range (unless you've found a remarkable deal - but be warned any deal that seems too good to be true is likely too good to be true). They're in the $1200-$1300 range new (plus various bits and pieces).

The thing to watch out for is how the hub is configured, for V-brakes or discs, as it can cost a fair bit to convert them one to the other. So pick the one that is already setup for the way you want to use it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The speedhub is a great investment. I just moved mine to it's 3rd bike. I haven't adjusted a derailleur in about 8 years! The other great benefit is shifting without pedaling. I'm reminded of that every time I ride my old steel hardtail.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Vulcan said:
Nate, what kind of price do you think I will be looking at?
Eeek! I don't watch the prices too closely, but think Rocky's estimate is on the low end. I found one on eBay for $500 a couple of years ago, but that was a fluke. The guy selling it thought it was broken and listed it as a Buy It Now (he was wrong, BTW -- they don't break).

·
ups and downs
15,596 Posts
I'm ever the optimist. If you're paying closer to $1000 for a used hub you might want to make the stretch and get a new one with the configuration and colour you want. That way you're more likely to have all the bits and pieces and hardware you need.

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, there was one listed on MTB recently that included a disk and was laced to a 29" rim that sold for 850.00. If I could get one at the price I'd be happy... Otherwise I think I'd be tempted to go new.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought a new Rohloff about a month ago and have absolutely no regrets.

As you have probably heard, however, Rohloffs get better with age (need some time to break in). So, if you can find a used one from someone who knows what he/she is doing with the Rohloff, and you trust that it hasn't been excessively punished, this is actually one of the few cycling devices where you might actually be better off buying used!

Am happy to answer any questions you have about the Rohloff as I'm now a tentacle-waving fan. Am in the process of installing an additional one on a new hardtail Ti 29er following the positive experience on a 26er full suspension bike.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
Another one here on the lookout for a Rohloff disc braked, dog boned 26" wheel used, for my Full Sus. Black would be nice, but not necessary and if it had a 26" rim sitting on it, that would be cool too.

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
If you're a shopper, why not consider an Alfine or SRAM i-Motion 9? I love the Speed Hub, $1400 is pretty large. If it's lots of speeds ya need, why not an Alfine with 2 chainrings up front? You can run a 22/32 with a bash ring, use your existing cranks/chain ring. With a 20T rear cog you get a 16 inch lower gear (22/34) and 75 inch high gear (32/12). Should run under $450 including new rear rim/labor.

·
Registered
927 Posts
pursuiter said:
If you're a shopper, why not consider an Alfine or SRAM i-Motion 9? I love the Speed Hub, $1400 is pretty large. If it's lots of speeds ya need, why not an Alfine with 2 chainrings up front? You can run a 22/32 with a bash ring, use your existing cranks/chain ring. With a 20T rear cog you get a 16 inch lower gear (22/34) and 75 inch high gear (32/12). Should run under $450 including new rear rim/labor.
The Rohloff will out last the Alfine ten fold. You get what you pay for. Make the investment and put the cash behind you. Rohloff has been deamed BOOM PROOF! Nuf said. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
273 Posts
BIGfatED said:
The Rohloff will out last the Alfine ten fold. You get what you pay for. Make the investment and put the cash behind you. Rohloff has been deamed BOOM PROOF! Nuf said. :thumbsup:
Ten fold huh? Where did you get your info?

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
I'm getting the feeling that some of the folks around here misuse the word "investment" like they don't understand the definition of the word.

investment
Definition 1

In finance, the purchase of a financial product or other item of value with an expectation of favorable future returns. In general terms, investment means the use money in the hope of making more money.

Definition 2

In business, the purchase by a producer of a physical good, such as durable equipment or inventory, in the hope of improving future business.

Unless you are in business selling Rohloffs, I can't see how it is an investment. If you are an end user, it's no longer an investment.

That said... let's just say it's the most innovative hub out there and it's more an asset than an investment... it depreciates in value with time and use, which is why I'm in the market for a second hand one that's had some of it's life used up by the original owner .

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thinking about a Speedhub

Try this or any variation that will work for you.

Stock up on beer, find a recliner (with remote) near a TV.

Stay there until your thoughts about a Speedhub subside.

It worked for me.

Tilos

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
BIGfatED said:
The Rohloff will out last the Alfine ten fold...
ten fold, huh? And I supose you have the miles to prove it :skep:

BTW, I do like the SH and I am considering buying one. Not because some dope says, "it's ten x better dude" nor as an investment. If I buy one, it'll be because I like the idea and I want to see it work myself :thumbsup:

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
RandyBoy said:
I'm getting the feeling that...blah, blah, blah...user, it's no longer an investment. blah..blah...That said... bblah, blah,blah...in value with time and use, which is why I'm in the market for a second hand one that's had some of it's life used up by the original owner .
What are you saving up to be? You could be dead tomorrow. Buy one while you still can, use it up and enjoy all the good memories :)

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
Tilos said:
Try this or any variation that will work for you.

Stock up on beer, find a recliner (with remote) near a TV.

Stay there until your thoughts about a Speedhub subside.

It worked for me.

Tilos
Sounds like Poor Mans Therapy. It's not that I'm not sold on the Rohloff technology, it's the exchange rate of the US dollar to the Euro that has made it impractical. I'll be able to run a long, long time on cassettes and my DT Swiss 440 Freeride wheelset. My cost shipped for a brand new DTSwiss laced with a Sun Rynolite was $148 on Ebay.

What is the pay back period of a Rohloff if I ride 2000 All Mountain miles a year, in cassette and chain savings? Assume I change the chain at 75% wear and the cassete is a $40 Sram PG980, the chain a $20 Sram PG 971, 2 chains to a cassette, 1500 miles to a cassette.

Assume a rohloff chain is good for 2500 miles in dirt, and the 16 tooth rear sprocket, with both sides used, is good for 5000 miles.

Don't forget the oil changes once a year for the Rohloff also, and the cost of the material.

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
RandyBoy said:
Sounds like Poor Mans Therapy...Don't forget the oil changes once a year for the Rohloff also, and the cost of the material.
OK, LOL, you're pulling my leg, you've got one on order from Harris :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts